Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to update an existing thread, but wasn't sure how to do this, so this should be my last thread about the HQ+Retin combo. I have decided it is definitely in my best interest to cease using these products immediately.

Yesterday, was unlike anything I had ever experienced with my skin. I experienced the worst burning, and irritation ever. It was so painful I could barely touch my skin. I'm not sure where I went wrong with using either of the products, or if the products themselves just aren't right for me.

However, I did not use the Retin A as I was supposed to yesterday, because of the extreme burning and inflammation. Maybe I had used too much the last time, I'm not sure. I do know that yesterday I spent some time reading through old threads on this forum, and I saw one thread where it stated you're only suppose to use a pea size amount. Well, I know that I did use a bit more than that amount, so perhaps that could have been it. Or it could be the strength was too strong for me, or both of these products are just too strong for my sensitive skin.

At any rate, I've decided to cease using them immediately. Today, I am left with two very dry, and somewhat sore brownish splotches on both sides of my face, and a bit of that same splotch by my mouth. They aren't too bad, but if someone where to get close up in my face, they could see them.

For now, I think it is best that I do not use anything at all until my skin heals. I am very disappointed that this didn't work out for me the way I had wanted it to, and I also think I should have spent more time researching old threads, and researching on the net period before jumping into this.

DISCLAIMER: My post is not meant to discourage anyone from using the products at all, I am just reporting what I have experienced thus far with using them. As I stated above, this could be attributed to improper usage, or the fact that my skin isn't suitable for these products. I'm going to allow my skin to fully heal, and I will be consulting a dermatologist before using anything in the future. This is likely to be my last thread in regards to the products since I have decided to stop using them due to the aforementioned issues.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the HQ RA combo. NOTHING is for every person & what works for one could be damaging to another. Wise of you to NOT force your skin & cause real harm. What research does is give you the scientific facts re a compound & its ingredients. As for how YOU will react to it, where research helps is it also reveals possible adverse reactions, what skin types/profiles developed them & the % of people in the study who did. If 50% of all participants suffered adverse reactions, you know the product is quite likely to be inappropriate for you.

I remember you (I could swear it was you) mentioning the combo reddening your skin & rendering it sore. I suggested you STOP using it, allow yr skin to heal & then begin with a regimen of HQ4% 2x/day only. Then you could try alternating using the weakest HQ at 0.025% every other night only & gauging your skin's reaction. Other members made good suggestions too. Please be gentle with your skin until it heals. From what you've described, in a week or 2 all should be completely healed. Please read Periwinkle's enlightening post with the link about Retin A.

No disclaimer was necessary. Your unique experience is important & valid. I'm sure a few others here might find the combo too strong for them as many do with Tri-Luma (a combo cream). Please update re your recovery & what you subsequently decide to try. It'll prove invaluable to other people in your same boat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you are right, different strokes for different folks when it comes to skin. I will definitely stay tuned to the board, and once I am confident in trying something per my derm's recommend, I will let the board know what I am doing and how it's working for me.

The other person that experienced the irritation, I know who you're referring to, I believe it was a guy though, I read through that thread and the advice he was given.

I'm just going to stay off of anything for now, but I'll still be here keeping my eye on the board though.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Perhaps you should try getting your skin used to the products and start by using one at a time on alternate days or something like that, that would get you some slow results, but it won't cause as much damage.

·
Registered
395 Posts
hi desire, i have sensitive skin also, but the back of arms knees etc can handle something like retina with no problems (only a little tingling)

for my face, i use retina every few days (as i use a strong cleanser) rub a little in my hands and tap it lightly on my face. i never rub it in or let it collect in between folds of skin (i.e. nose)

maybe you used a little more retina you should? this is what i experienced when i used too much on my neck.

use some skin healing cream like salvon to aid the recovery.
also when trying another new regime, test the inside of your arm first before putting it on your face.

x

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Freddy, I was doing the alternating method, using one at a time, but as I pointed out in my thread and ninasky mentione as well. I think I used the Retin A improperly. Everything that ninasky mentioned in the post above, I did like a idiot. I now know that I messed up big time, because I did rub in my face, and I see that is a no no, possibly a big no no!

I do feel like crying now, because as the peeling has kinda subsided I can now get a better look at the damage, and my skin on two parts of my face appears burned. I am really NOT okay with this at all! I am really feeling depressed.

@Illuminara, needless to say I agree, and it was this burning and inflammation that caused me to cease immediately, although I am hoping I still have not done any kind of permanent damage to my skin. I am going to make an appointment with a dermatologist to see if this is serious, or what if anything can be prescribed to help aid in the healing of my skin. Right now, I just keep applying a cold pack to my face, and it does soothe it, but once I take the cold pack off, it feels overwhelmingly dry and it slightly stings, and of course when I look in the mirror I can see the skin that appear burned. I do feel stupid for jumping into this without having consulted a derm first.

@ninasky, I did all of the "don'ts" you just mentioned. I did rub into my face, and I also know that I did not use a pea size amount. I am really thinking I burned my face with this cream, and now I am hoping this isn't something permanent. I'm gonna talk with a dermatologist and see what they can prescribe to help aid in the healing of my skin.

Uggh, I am so frustrated, and this has done nothing but help me sink into a depression. Anyways, I'll keep everyone updated...take care

·
Registered
395 Posts
desire, hopefully you'll be ok. fingers crossed. we've all done it, me included.

i dont know if you saw my post about the hq causing me contact dermititus because the concentration was too strong?

not everyone knows how to use retina, luckily i came across this forum - when i got mine i was sure to read through the leaflet it came with - i dont know if you even get leaflets with these purchases?

i will thank you for posting your feedback on this because we will all learn from such mistakes. let us know how it goes with the derm.

x

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Honey, you made a mistake. You didn't kill anyone, nothing is afire & you will not suffer any permanent damage. This is an inconvenience & a learning experience. We've ALL used something the wrong way at least once. Let it heal, be gentle & then pick yourself up & keep going. You CAN lighten your skin; you just need a different approach.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ondine you are so encouraging..lol. But you're right it just sucks when you are newbie and start out doing something so drastic like this. I know I am probably a pain in the rear to this board already! But, I am logging on to say that maybe the skin that appeared "burned" may not have been burned after all, very irritated yes, but maybe not burned. Of course with Retin A there is going to be heavy peeling of the skin.

The two brown splotches on my face I described earlier, I am now thinking this may have been a part of the Retin A actually working, and I was not burned as I thought. The reason I say this now is that I have taken a damp towel again to my face and rub slightly over it. The brown splotches broke up and came off, basically just as the peeling skin did!

And guess what, hehehe I saw pretty golden skin underneath, and I was smiling so much. So I'm thinking, yes I may still be sensitive to Retin A, and yes that durn severe tightness, and peeling is god awful to get past, but Retin A may not be entirely bad.

I probably did get the burning sensation from applying improperly as ninasky mentioned. So, I don't know now, I am so torn between whether or not to dump the products or to continue using them. Just as one of the other members mentioned how she was ready to dump Retin A as well because of the irritation it causes, but she didn't because she didn't want to miss out on the benefits.

I feel the EXACT same way right now! I am not going to apply it just yet though, but I may start back after I speak with a derm, and am advised on the best and safest way to incorporate Retin A into my skin lightening routine. Because I definitely want it to be a keeper, and I agree with the others who say NOTHING exfoliates like this stuff..lol!

Sorry this is so long, but I didn't want to leave out anything, well that's all for now.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Most people here are not afraid to do some reading so make it as long as you need to & those who don't feel like reading will scroll on by. Did you wait a good 20 mins after washing B4 applying the RA? This is important too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to hear that hisdesire am sure the the effects will fade in a short time.
I know this sounds over the top I have been using the combo for a week now and EVERYBODY has said that I am definately lighter. I've only noticed extreme peeling and smoothness of my skin however but no other side effects.

I supposse its different for everyone but I don't really use a lot of it and I mix it with the HQ which I guess buffers the strength slightly.

Hope you find a better alternative and thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most people here are not afraid to do some reading so make it as long as you need to & those who don't feel like reading will scroll on by. Did you wait a good 20 mins after washing B4 applying the RA? This is important too.
Yes, I was waiting the 20 mins, usually more like 30 mins after washing before applying the RA. I really do think that I possibly used too much too soon. Because most of what I had described has since peeled away now, (THANK GOODNESS)! As I stated earlier, I don't think I will be ditching RA at all, just proceeding with caution in the future, and learning the best ways to use for my skin. I love the way it exfoliates, and I can definitely tell that it can accelerate lightening by using this stuff.

I have also decided to keep my products, I'm just going to switch to using them on places like my knees, feet, places like that..lol. That way, if something goes wrong at least you can't see my knees, as I can cover them with pants...lol. So, I will still continue with the alternating routine with HQ & Retin, just on my knees and the places on my feet with the dark areas caused by sun. I'm still doing this, an I'm definitely not giving up!

·
Registered
265 Posts
his desire. You irritation was probably mostly from the RA. Have you ever tried using alphahydroxyacids or betahydroxy acids? These will give you the effect of retin-a but no peeling. They are like your lactic, mild glycolics, natural fruit acids, etc. Your skin may respond well to these and still exfoliate and lighten.

when I wasnt using RA b/c of the peeling and irritation, I used these. They lightened by themselves. The product I used was Studio Gear's Total Clarification Daily exfoliating pads. They are amazying. They sell them at ulta, so I'm sure you can find it at u l t a . c o m. And maybe start with a milder hq product or try natural skin lightening. There are lots of natural products that dont cause irritation. I like a product called xtremebright gel and it has no hq. But there are many others. Only problem with a lot of natural products are that you cant find many that arent a scam but there are some. The ones I buy in ulta or sephora are expensive but work. Kinerase makes a brightening serum that turned me yellow. NO HQ. but its $97, I loved it and all there products. So you dont have to go the RA, HQ route, there are alternatives in lightening!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, ladydanielle...Thank You so much for all of the recommends!!

I am googling these products right now. I also have a Ulta near me, so that's good too! It's really good to know that there are some alternatives to the HQ & Retin. I was also considering something natural on my face as well.

I will still try the HQ & Retin on places like my knees, but I definitely think my face will warrant something natural, and more gentle.

Again, thank you for your recommendations!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts