Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to give an update on my crepe-paper skin progress. Just a quick recap--I am a tanorexic and not only have I tanned excessively throughout my life despite knowing how bad it was (I will get old tomorrow was my excuse) but also this year I started an aggressive exfoliation regimen which included scouring my body and skin with a scour side of a sponge, using glycolic body wash, 20% AHA and maual exfoliation. All the while tanning. The combination dried my skin eventually dehydrating it which was confirmed by a friend who is a dermatologist.

I then started to heal myself by avoiding the sun, though not 100% as it is impossible where I live, and ceasing all exfoliation. I started to use a plethora of oils, lotions etc. I then found Bio-Oil which has done a great job and then actually have supplemented it with coconut oil and jojoba oil. Recently I added Sweet Almond oil--SUCCESS!

An update now--the combination of a the above products has caused an incredible rejuvenation of my skin in less than a week. The Sweet Almond Oil, for whatever reason, seems to have rapidly softened my skin, increased elasticity and appearance. Elasticity is arguably better than 2 years ago and now, though there is still loose areas that are a bit like a "shell" and creped---by and large my skin is looking younger, behaving younger and looking smoother again.

I did want to share this as Sweet Almond Oil is rarely used but was one thing I found on a few sites and decided to try. It certainly has supplemented and rapidly improved upon what I was doing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! Glad to hear it's going so well. Maybe I'd better give it a try. I guess crepe paper also describes the 'lizard legs' I was talking about in another post! So far, I'm doing OK with the stuff discussed there, but will definitely try this if there is no difference in a month or two. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem and yes, I have had these legs all my life too and they are largely gone now. I am amazed actually as Sweet Almond Oil is not really the first thing discussed when talking about dry, dehydrated skin and crepe/lizard appearance but it works. One warning though--no trousers unless they are old, you get oily and it goes on everything!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was amazed nobody recommended it. A little note on this which has me smiling today--I was out on Lincoln Rd (In Miami Beach it is a major shopping road) and some random guy came up to me and told me I had beautiful skin. I am not even kidding and this is after my skin was so dried and old looking the last few months that I just was stunned and have been smiling since this and could not wait to come home and post this!! I am never going without this Sweet Almond Oil again! It has done more for my skin than I can have imagined in such a short time!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I love sweet almond oil. Good stuff.
I agree - I love it too! The skin around my eyes has been sore lately. I do not apply RA or C serum too close to my eyes, but the substances do sort of migrate there over time. I tend to avoid using any oils too close to my eyes but really needed some relief. So I have been using sweet almond oil - it is a remarkable product. It is also good for treating dry hair - applied to the ends before shampooing. I used to use olive oil, but the sweet almond oil is much easier to wash out. I ran out of olive oil last week and even added a dash on my salad - yummy!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OMG on your salad? What does it taste like? I just cannot believe how calming and healing it is. It also penetrated my "soft-shell" and I am being "tenderised" by it and my skin is turning soft and supple again!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
OMG on your salad? What does it taste like?
Oh yeah - I've used both my sweet almond oil and grapeseed oil on my salads in a pinch. Both are food quality products (by Now Foods) and really get overpowered by the white balsamic vinegar that I also add.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Grapeseed I have used but never sweet almond. I am eating a salad now but I just put lemon juice and olive oil on my salads, maybe I need to get a bit more adventurous!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Oh yeah - I've used both my sweet almond oil and grapeseed oil on my salads in a pinch. Both are food quality products (by Now Foods) and really get overpowered by the white balsamic vinegar that I also add.
I bought my sweet almond oil (and most of my oils) at a local health food store that carries NOW products. But the best way to go is to order from iHerb as Peri suggested. I order from them whenever I can - fast, cheap, reliable. It's just that sometimes I get things locally because I am "over the border" right now and it's not always convenient to shop on-line.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Grapeseed I have used but never sweet almond. I am eating a salad now but I just put lemon juice and olive oil on my salads, maybe I need to get a bit more adventurous!
Lexi - I was bored with my salads and have a couple of suggestions. It's "off topic", but it's your thread.

Have you ever tried white balsamic vinegar with your olive oil? I just bought a bottle since I am trying to avoid darker (teeth staining) products whenever possible. It has a slightly sweeter taste that blends well with the olive oil. One tablespoon of the vinegar and two tablespoons of the olive oil seem like just enough to spoon over a large salad.

The other thing I started doing - grating black pepper and flax seeds on the salad, and sprinkling hemp hearts on as well. We talked about hemp hearts on the Food thread on this site (do a search) and I became intrigued, and finally found them in a health food store. Adding these things to a salad of just lettuce and maybe one other veggie (whatever I have handy) has made my salads more interesting and more healthy as well.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
How do you grate the flax seeds?
I bought a small mill that it used for grinding flax seeds. It is stronger than a pepper mill since the little seeds are tougher than peppercorns, but some pepper mills might also work. It cost me about $20 Canadian, so it would be less in US dollars.

I just thought it was worth the investment because freshly ground flax seed is best to use. And I take them every day as a health supplement. I didn't have access to a refrigerator at the time, and so could not go for liquid or commercially ground options, which both need to be refrigerated, I believe.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts