Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I have started using HQ20% compound twice a day with Retin-A 0.1% together at night, I have noticed that my color is going a deep dark red when its on, when its washed off its more of an orange/red, is this supposed to be normal? it looks like I have a native american tan expect a little deeper.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
How did you look beforehand? In my case, nothing like this has happened BUT my skin has a strong natural red undertone.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Did the HQ melt thoroughly into yr base cream? Perhaps it is not absorbing thoroughly & oxidizing on yr skin. If, when you pump out yr cream, you can see little sparkly needles in it or you can feel a grittiness, the HQ didn't completely melt. Some sources pound the HQ into a powder with a mortar & pestle first (I plan to do this next time). THey then pre-melt it in a = amt of propylene glycol, then blend the active into their base lotion that has been heated to the = temp.

Since raw HQ is available to you cheaply, why not toss out this batch (after noting what was wrong with it) & try again?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ever since I have started using HQ20% compound twice a day with Retin-A 0.1% together at night, I have noticed that my color is going a deep dark red when its on, when its washed off its more of an orange/red, is this supposed to be normal? it looks like I have a native american tan expect a little deeper.
sounds like its oxidising on your skin. When you wash the hq mix off your hands do you find that there are deep reddish marks/dried droplets in the sink later on?

If its a similar colour, I suggest you stop using it and use a lower concentration such as 10%. It is typical as a new compounder to come up against this.

I know i always bang on about this but I really suggest dissolving your HQ in some DPG first and then adding it to heated base cream, if you want to carry on with 20%.

x

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it definitely does not feel gritty at all, the off white color of the cream retained remarkbly well, just when I put it on, there are some tiny crystals that I can see NOT all of it are crystals though, there are only like a small percentage, also its still making my skin exfoliate like crazy, so u think I can still use it up? Also, Ondine, were u 100% sure that ur HQ melted? I used the same exact method u listed, maybe I should heat for longer next time?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
My HQ was thoroughly melted but in past botched batches, something similar happened. The new 10% batch is making me exfoliate a lot just like the 20% batch did. I know that some sources say to melt it to 170 (worked well on my 20% batch) whereas others say 180-185 degrees. The 10% batch got up this high by sheer fluke! It is a lovely light colour w/o even a hint of brown tones & the HQ left no 'sparkly sheen' & there are no little needles. Try heating it a little higher. After a few weeks of tinkering, we'll come up with several viable formulations between us all. As for QTY, I find that a maximum of 200-250 ml will remain brown-free until the last drop is used up (assuming you're using it all over). As of this Fri, I'll run out of my 10% batch & I'm going to try something a little different BUT Eucerin will remain my base lotion of choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts