Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! As many of you know, I spent some time experimenting with home compounding with HQ using Eucerin as the carrier lotion. While I was able to compound stable mixtures that remained emulsified & didn't oxidize, after 4-5 weeks, the overall lightening was minimal. Part of the reason was that I was NOT using RA during this time just to be able to objectively assess the test batches I was making. Had I been layering RA over the test lotions, the lightening would've been more satisfactory. As of last Tuesday, I've been doing the following:

Mornings:Likas, wait 20 mins, HQ4% + RA 0.05%, sunblock

Afternoons:Likas, HQ4%, sunblock.

Evenings:As morning, no sunblock.

I'm using the med strength RA since I've been off of it for a while & since I'm applying it 2x/day. I didn't tell anyone in my household what I was doing & my son looked at me today & said: "Funny...You look lighter than you did last week. You're losing yr tan quickly."

I've been exfoliating like crazy but there's been no irritation whatsoever from the RA so no need for HC ointment. Next week, I plan to reintroduce the RA 0.1% & report what happens.

As for home compounding, next task will be to locate:

- a reliable source for raw Tretinoin
- a more rapidly absorbed hydrophilic base akin to the one used in the Melalite we buy & the tri-luma type preparations.

These absorb more rapidly so that a greater % age of the actives are carried deep into the skin. After a few weeks of the above routine (Tue begins week 2) I'll post an updated avatar.

Since everyone else was posting updates, I figured I would too.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, my skin is taking very well to it. People using Tri-Luma (or skinlite from ADC) get a 2x daily dose of the 0.05% RA. The DM in the formula helps prevent irritation. So far, after about a week, I'm doing alright. I do have HC on hand just in case. If I see any overexfoliating, I'll reduce my usage immediately.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ondine - I didn't see any improvement with the 10% HQ/Eucerin compound either. I just compounded a (strong) 15% HQ, adding 20% Arbutin and 10%Kojic Acid compound w/ Eucerin base. I've already applied it after the RA 0.1% on the TOUGH (hands, knees, elbows, etc.) areas ONLY! I think I will stick with this compound (w/RA) for a month and see what happens.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sounds like strong stuff, Salsera. Just an ides; why not apply yr compound first as a buffer then apply the RA next? Keep a tube of HC on hand in case any irritation arises. Please let us know what the results are over time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yes it is - it is similar to a compound I saw somewhere earlier this year. I omitted the Glucosamine and Niaminicide. I will monitor the results of how I apply now and if I run into issues I'll modify and perhaps reverse the HQ Compound and RA applications. Thank you- yes I have plenty of HC on hand as well as Neosporin, Bacitracin, Emu, Vitamin E, Aloe Vera, etc. In case of fire <lol> I'll douse myself with one, many or all of those <lol>

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't seem to recall what colour you are & where you're aiming to get to. Are you amongst those who are trying to remove a 'permatan' or blend in darker patches or are you looking to lighten all over? It sounds like you've stocked up on every soothing ointment known to humanity! Let's hope you don't need ny of them at all!

Believe it or not, I still haven't decided how much lighter I want to go. I o not have a photo of some model or performing artist whose skin I want to have. I tend to like a variety of tones. I love golden Hispanic skin tones & I also like some of the deeper golden tones some people in the Philippines have. With my red tone, I'll likely lighten more to the rosewood tones you see on some Central & South American Native people. I do like Isabelle Adjani's pale skin (similar to Dita Von Teese's) BUT It would be too extreme a change for me & I don't know how I'd adjust to it (or maintain it!).

When I began back in Jan, the 1st thing I did was blend in darker areas. There weren't many, but evening them spared me from that unevenness that becomes more apparent as you lighten. I'll definitely be keeping my hair dark whatever I decide to do with my skin tone.

·
Registered
410 Posts
wow Isabelle!.....she's very very....light skinned! Your going that far?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm still a newbie, so I'm not understanding about the compounding. Because I've not used HQ or RA before, do you advise against me trying to make up a formula? I'm trying to do overall lightening, but I'd like to see some type of positive result by Feb. (This is why I asked about mixing the HA and RA in another post. I'm going to hold off per your advice, Ondine.) Right now, I'm even toned about Gabby Union's color, but I'm shooting for Amerie's with a "glow". I've used HQ and RA years ago to lighten acne scars. (Never thought about full body until recently.) So, to start, I'm planning to use the HQ &RA from the tubes and apply after shower. Is that how you all started?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I doubt it very much. Like I said, adjusting to such an extreme change would be difficult. Also, I still want to look like myself & with white skin, I wouldn't look like a pale mixed race person (like Mariah Carey does). I'd just look like a white person. I tried this out once with makeup & it was quite the alarming experience. From the neck up, I was a pale-skinned white person. The result was very Anne Hathaway; pretty, but it just didn't feel like 'me'. The rosy/golden range is more realistic: not too much fairer than I've attained right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh, and I use Glutathione soap. I really like it. I think it's the reason my complexion is even. It's made of Glutathione, Vitamin C, and Grapeseed Extract. My body lotion has Kojic Acid, Asafetida extract (some type of plant in India), and Glycolic Acid. The lotion is a skin brightener. Will the soap and lotion's ingredients cause any problem with the HQ and RA?

·
Registered
410 Posts
I doubt it very much. Like I said, adjusting to such an extreme change would be difficult. Also, I still want to look like myself & with white skin, I wouldn't look like a pale mixed race person (like Mariah Carey does). I'd just look like a white person. I tried this out once with makeup & it was quite the alarming experience. From the neck up, I was a pale-skinned white person. The result was very Anne Hathaway; pretty, but it just didn't feel like 'me'. The rosy/golden range is more realistic: not too much fairer than I've attained right now.
I concur
I've been looking at a couple people in my bio class and i've decided my goal colour. This is more or less my goal complexion:

·
Registered
452 Posts
I can't seem to recall what colour you are & where you're aiming to get to. Are you amongst those who are trying to remove a 'permatan' or blend in darker patches or are you looking to lighten all over? It sounds like you've stocked up on every soothing ointment known to humanity! Let's hope you don't need ny of them at all!

Believe it or not, I still haven't decided how much lighter I want to go. I o not have a photo of some model or performing artist whose skin I want to have. I tend to like a variety of tones. I love golden Hispanic skin tones & I also like some of the deeper golden tones some people in the Philippines have. With my red tone, I'll likely lighten more to the rosewood tones you see on some Central & South American Native people. I do like Isabelle Adjani's pale skin (similar to Dita Von Teese's) BUT It would be too extreme a change for me & I don't know how I'd adjust to it (or maintain it!).

When I began back in Jan, the 1st thing I did was blend in darker areas. There weren't many, but evening them spared me from that unevenness that becomes more apparent as you lighten. I'll definitely be keeping my hair dark whatever I decide to do with my skin tone.
I am 1.) correcting severe hyperpigmentation from previous skin care "don't dos" 2.) lightening old scars 3.) attempting to even my skin tone on my face, hands, tough areas to match my torso. and 4.) perhaps do all over lightening - that is TBD depending on how I look with my entire body the same skin tone as my torso.
You are right about the soothing ointments - but remember I'm not new at this so ... many of them I already and most are dual purpose.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Who is that in the photo, Reyaz? Hw has a nice colour & a beautiful smile. I like his expression too. He doesn't have that macho @$$ hole 'look' that many of the male Bollywood actors have. What colour are you now, Reyaz? I remember yr photos, but you've been lightening since that time.

Amfreyu, since you are very new to this, B4 trying to make yr own compound, it would be good to gain some experience in working with the prepared compounds first imo. You should be able to get from where you are to where you want to be by Feb IF you stick to yr routine, stay out of the sun & wear a sunblock. As for how to begin, you don't want to be applying RA to shower-fresh skin. Make sure yr skin has been dried off for a good 20 mins. As for 'how to', please read La Donna's thread "From Lauryn to Mariah". there are very good directions & a wealth of info in there.

If you are going to do the HQ/RA routine, do not use that lotion. More actives aren't necessarily better: the goal is to lighten safely & evenly; not shock yr skin out of its mind! If the HQ/RA leaves you with some dryness, a little natural oil (I like olive, some others prefer emu or sweet almond) or a lotion like Eucerin is gentle.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Who is that in the photo, Reyaz? Hw has a nice colour & a beautiful smile. I like his expression too. He doesn't have that macho @$$ hole 'look' that many of the male Bollywood actors have. What colour are you now, Reyaz? I remember yr photos, but you've been lightening since that time.

Amfreyu, since you are very new to this, B4 trying to make yr own compound, it would be good to gain some experience in working with the prepared compounds first imo. You should be able to get from where you are to where you want to be by Feb IF you stick to yr routine, stay out of the sun & wear a sunblock. As for how to begin, you don't want to be applying RA to shower-fresh skin. Make sure yr skin has been dried off for a good 20 mins. As for 'how to', please read La Donna's thread "From Lauryn to Mariah". there are very good directions & a wealth of info in there.

If you are going to do the HQ/RA routine, do not use that lotion. More actives aren't necessarily better: the goal is to lighten safely & evenly; not shock yr skin out of its mind! If the HQ/RA leaves you with some dryness, a little natural oil (I like olive, some others prefer emu or sweet almond) or a lotion like Eucerin is gentle.
Yes its the guy who used to host Yo Momma on MTV. lol yeah i got about a shade lighter from the last photos you saw of me. Going for about 4 more shades. I plan to put up some more photos coming this December after my exams. October the 17th would be the 2th Month of using HQ. And out of those 2 months i've used RA 0.025% for about three weeks and 0.1% RA for just about 5 days. So far I could say that I lightened about 3.5-4 shades.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After 1 week of using the RA 2x/day (needed the exfoliation boost!) I've maintained my routine BUt I've reduced thw RA usage to night time 1x/day only. I've got a nice glow going on that I'm happy about. I'll update in another week.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts