15% C, E + Ferulic Acid Serum, 1oz

1 tsp L-Ascorbic Acid
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Vitamin E Oil
1/3 cc/ml (.3) of Hyaluronic Acid
1 tsp SKB
1/4 tsp vodka
3 1/2 tsp Distilled H2O

To prepare use 2 shot glasses. In glass #1 put the H2O, Vodka, LAA + Ferulic Acid.. Stir frequently. It can take up to 30 minutes to *fully* dissolve. Mix the remaining ingredients in glass #2. When the contents of glass #1 have fully dissolved, combine both, stir well and put in your 1oz bottle.. Give it a good shake, and store in fridge or in a cool, dark place.. Shake a bit before use
[quote from Kassy]

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Fawnie: thanks. Are u going to keep this post just as the Vit C serum recipe? I am in Aussie. I have found abscorbic acid but they queried the 'L'-abscorbic acid and what does the L mean? The Vit E oil is natural or synthetic so I will get natural. The sea kelp bioferment - the company responded they have sea kelp but they were not sure what I meant by' bioferment' so not sure if it is the product which is in Kassy's wonderful recipe (which obviously from positive feedback, requires no additions!). They do have the hyaluronic acid (hooray). The co. (worldwide I think) is new directions. They are running some great sounding workshops (with a chemist) on understanding ingredients, making your own etc (in each of capital city States) but some are quite expensive considering I need to travel as well. Still if you get to save on cosmetics for ever more that is a plus. So I presume they run these workshops o/s. I also tracked down Dr Hauschka cleansing milk lotion in our local area (costs $A58 for 145ml). I am keen to get started but want to make sure I have the correct products and not by products. Many thanks for your many posts.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kerry,
This explains about l-ascorbic acid:
[quote Wikipedia:]
"The L-enantiomer of ascorbic acid is also known as vitamin C."
So if you have ascorbic acid without any added fillers, flavoring, coloring or additives of any kind, that would be fine to use.

Sea Kelp Bioferment:
[quote from theherbarie.com:]
\t "Sea Kelp Bioferment is a natural kelp extract that is obtained using traditional fermentation technology. The fermentation process increases the bioavailability of many chemical compounds by freeing them from the food matrix to which they are typically bound. In addition, the principle of fermentation allows for the isolation and concentration of naturally occurring phytochemicals.
Sea Kelp Bioferment is an excellent moisturizer. It can be used in creams and lotions, toners, shampoo and other personal care products.

INCI Name: Lactobacillus/Kelp Ferment Filtrate

Physical Form: Yellow to Amber Colored, Water-soluble, Viscous Liquid

Recommended Usage: 2% - 5%

MSDS and TDS

Price:\t$7.50"

I don't think you need to be a slave to it, just do the best you can with what you can find. There are many many recipes for DIY C serum. This is just the best one I've found so far! Please let us know how you are doing with it, and if you need any help!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hi i know i wrote this before but cause no one replied i wanted to check this again, as i cant afford to get ferulic shipped over from US and have to wait for someone to bring me the product over from the US can i double check that it is ok to use the carrier oils in place of the gyclerin, if so should i only use one 1/4 teaspoon of any carrier oils with say vit e and aloe vero! Or does it matter how many carrier oils you add to the vit c recepie?

Many thanks though for the new recepie, hopefully il be able to use this at one point!

Also going off topic a sec, there seems to be many micro fibre cloths here in the UK, shoudl there be a certain type of cloth i should be looking into to, or does it not really matter!

Just wanted to go ahead and double check this before i buy things as all gets bit confusing after a while!

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Thanks for the updated recipe but unfortunately, I can't get all these ingredients in the UK. Meanwhile, I am sticking to a simple vit c serum using only 1/4 tsp l-ascorbic acid powder, 1tsp distilled water and 1 tsp glycerin. I want to incorporate vit E oil in my serum to make it thicker. Can somebody pls share the measurements for the vitamin E in my serum?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Pumi as far as i know you can buy everything here in uk part from ferulic! Dont know if you replace this with something else though!

Personally im not using the glycerin find it too sticky and replace this with the aloe vera and carrier oils! I just follow the recepie mirecka gave us origanally!

Anyhow in reply though to your other post as far as i know conconut oil should be ok for oily skin some people say it is great for acne skin too! Not sure about shea butter but think this ok for oily skin too! I dont though you can always check this out for yourself! However though personally i change what i use on my face regualarly anyway cause think otherwise the skin can get used to using the same products after a while!

Anyhow im off now after finishing my day of work! Have a good weekend

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just an FYI for those who have considered adding "Green Tea" or any othe Botanical Extracts to their DIY Vitamin C Serums, and why you SHOULD NOT!

-------Original Message-------

Date: 5/15/2009 3:48:56 AM
To: XXXXX (blocked for my privacy)
Subject: RE: Formulating question

Hi Kathy,

Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate them.

To answer your question, the cosmetic chemist you quoted is 100% right.

The reason is that Green Tea (and most botanical extracts) have natural metals in them. They will react with the ascorbic acid and will actually make the product pro-oxidant, the opposite of what you want, and would ultimately be harmful to the skin.

I personally agree with you, and the cosmetic chemist, that you should not combine green tea with L-ascorbic in a serum.

Regards,
John

Happy formulating, and for Gawd's sake, keep it simple!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Thanks kassy for the recepies and all the help, but personally im not when iv been told though it is ok to mix green tea in with seaweed, honey and ginseng though! Im still trying to work out personally how much of these ingrendients i can put in to my shea butter and coconut oil! I think this should hopefully make a nice a moistuizer myself for dry skin!

I just think that pumi and i are trying to work out that are recepie for the vit c we are using is ok to do, at the mo in the UK ferulic is not available and shipping is far too expenisve unforuntaly so we are trying to do without!

Is is ok that i have just added a 1/4 teaspoon of carrier oil and 1/4 teaspoon of aloe vera to a vit e capsule and asborbic acid?

I know that i have asked this question above but it would just be great to know what im doing is correct?!

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi,

can somebody pls help me with the measurements I should use for my diy vitamin c serum? I would really appreciate any inputs. I am using a simple serum with glycerin, l-ascorbic acid powder and distilled water. I want to add vitamin E oil as well but unfortunately I don't know how much vit E oil to add in my recipe.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I don't want to hyjack this thread any further but someone please tell me what the vodka does?
Hi Dash - I have not used it myself, but recall reading on this site that it helps the ferulic acid to dissolve more easily. I have not had a problem with dissolution myself, so it must depend on what product is used. And I have no other use for vodka so I don't have it handy to try myself. If you do a search on this site under "vodka" you might find out more about it.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Hi,

can somebody pls help me with the measurements I should use for my diy vitamin c serum? I would really appreciate any inputs. I am using a simple serum with glycerin, l-ascorbic acid powder and distilled water. I want to add vitamin E oil as well but unfortunately I don't know how much vit E oil to add in my recipe.

Cheers.
Pumi - if you tell me how much you want to make and what concentrations of each ingredient you want to use, I will help you with the calculations. If you are not sure, refer back to the earlier postings on this site. I need you to be specific so that I am sure to give you what you need to make the serum.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pumi - if you tell me how much you want to make and what concentrations of each ingredient you want to use, I will help you with the calculations. If you are not sure, refer back to the earlier postings on this site. I need you to be specific so that I am sure to give you what you need to make the serum.
Thanks for replying Mirecka. Currently, I am using 1/4 tsp vit c powder, 1tsp distilled water and 1tsp glycerin. I want to add vitamin E oil as well but I don't know how much to add. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks for replying Mirecka. Currently, I am using 1/4 tsp vit c powder, 1tsp distilled water and 1tsp glycerin. I want to add vitamin E oil as well but I don't know how much to add. Thanks for your help in advance.
Pumi - the total volume of your serum is just over 10ml - probably 11 or so. For a 1% concentration of Vitamin E in 11ml total volume, you need 0.1ml, which is difficult to measure using ******* utensils.

Here is what I would do -

The number of drops in an ounce depends on the size of the dropper. I looked at a site that says that it can range from 20-25 drops in a milliliter (ml). That means to get 0.1 ml you need 2-3 drops. I get about that much out of a vitamin E capsule, so I would add 1 capsule. If you have a liquid and also have a dropper bottle, use the dropper and add 2 or 3 drops. If you do not have a dropper - you will have to improvise to get the drops into the serum, but don't worry about it. Try for 2 and if you end up with 3, it's still okay.

Adding that small amount will change the total volume of the serum only a negligible amount, so the amounts of the other ingredients do not need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Pumi - the total volume of your serum is just over 10ml - probably 11 or so. For a 1% concentration of Vitamin E in 11ml total volume, you need 0.1ml, which is difficult to measure using ******* utensils.

Here is what I would do -

The number of drops in an ounce depends on the size of the dropper. I looked at a site that says that it can range from 20-25 drops in a milliliter (ml). That means to get 0.1 ml you need 2-3 drops. I get about that much out of a vitamin E capsule, so I would add 1 capsule. If you have a liquid and also have a dropper bottle, use the dropper and add 2 or 3 drops. If you do not have a dropper - you will have to improvise to get the drops into the serum, but don't worry about it. Try for 2 and if you end up with 3, it's still okay.

Adding that small amount will change the total volume of the serum only a negligible amount, so the amounts of the other ingredients do not need to be adjusted.
Thanks a lot for your help, Mirecka. I have vit E capsule at home so I will use 1 capsule in my serum. Also , does it matter if the vit E capsule contains sunflower lecithin and soya oil as the capsule I have does contain these ingredients.

I'm not sure if this can affect my vit c serum.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks a lot for your help, Mirecka. I have vit E capsule at home so I will use 1 capsule in my serum. Also , does it matter if the vit E capsule contains sunflower lecithin and soya oil as the capsule I have does contain these ingredients.
I'm not sure if this can affect my vit c serum.
Pumi - I use a pure vitamin E liquid form of the oil now. But before I got it I also used capsules which contain those same extra ingredients. I have seen several recipes that call for the use of vitamin E capsules, since that is what most folks have readily available. So I would say not to worry about it. It is not pure E but those other ingredients look harmless, to me anyway.

If you are concerned about not getting enough E, add a bit more from an extra capsule if you wish. I never measured it out - but just added a couple of capsules to my own serum and it worked fine for me.

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
Mireckca do you use Glycerin and Vit E in your serum? I would think that would be kind of greasy to use both. No?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think vitamin E has to be in an oil-

If you're using a capsule that is meant to be ingested- then the manufacturer probably has to be more specific about what it is. So, if your Vit E is isolated from soy lecithin and sunflower oils- then it may be dispersed in it, too.

It would be nice not to have to make assumptions- but, companies seem to give as little info as possible. But, if it's not the- Oil of the vitamin E tree
- then the compounds that make up vit E have to be dispersed in something, right?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also-

I have been hiding under my bed since the Green Tea Conflict of '09
started- so please forgive me if you have already gone over this, somewhere

1 - 20 of 498 Posts