Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 20's and 30's, I was able to get a really nice tan. After having kids, and another decade later, now I am only able to get freckles. Actually, I get a little color on my arms,with lots of freckles, and absolutely nothing but freckles only on my legs. What would cause something like this?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
But I still want to tan.
Why? Things have changed - there is no ozone layer and our skin is being destroyed by UV rays. That is what is going on.

The self-tanners have come a long way in recent years. Do a search on this site and you will see how successful and happy folks are using them now. I am fair skinned and love/need some color in the summer, but protect myself from the sun year round, rain or shine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am more or less interested in knowing why/how this is happening. Not all over, just my legs mostly. Call me curious.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
In my 20's and 30's, I was able to get a really nice tan. After having kids, and another decade later, now I am only able to get freckles. Actually, I get a little color on my arms,with lots of freckles, and absolutely nothing but freckles only on my legs. What would cause something like this?
Does this sound like you?

Melasma in Adults: Condition, Treatment and Pictures - Overview - VisualDxHealthÂae

Sun avoidance is the answer. And there is an entire board related to it here on this forum to help.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the same thing- I used to go brown when I was a child- not that my parents didn't slap on the SPF30 at every oppotunity, but children still catch the sun very easily, and also, it became a bit of a game after a while- how fast could you wash it off once applied...

I now don't tan. I don't even bother. I don't even go red- and I only really started buying suncare when I was 24. I used to sit in the sun at lunch for an hour, walk to uni at around 10am, never wore anything, never tanned, never got burnt, never as much as went red. I did used to pick up a small handful of freckles on my nose. (I have pale pale pale skin.).

Now I apply sun protection- and don't tend to go out as much in the day, my skin stays pale for other reasons, but your not alone here- my skin no longer tans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, it is not Malasma- I just have to wait till the end of summer, just about, to finally get any color. Just wondering why the change. And why color on my arms,shoulders, etc. and absolutely nothing on my legs. Wondering what the cause is....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am from Australia, where we had the suntanned image. I am so glad I had no desire to tan when I was younger. I look at people who were sun worshippers and the damage they have done to their skin is probably irrepairable. Plus the other issues of skin cancer, life threatening.

With all the fake tans on the market, there is one to suit everyone.

My first form of defence for every day skin care is sunscreen. You will reap the benefits as you approach middle age and beyond. Who wants all those age spots on their hands.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As one gets older, melanin tends to clump, resulting in freckles, blotches and spots, instead of rising evenly to the skin's surface the way it did when we were younger. This is particularly prevalent in Caucasians, even if they tan well. I know, because I'm one, and I have the sun damage from earlier years to show for it. Back in the 1950s and 60s, there weren't any sunblocks and nobody really knew much about sun and skin either. I'd say, if one were a lighter-skinned Caucasian that tans easily and well, that would be a warning about a tendency to hyperpigment(aka sunspots, freckles, etc.) later in life, and stay out of the sun instead.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well...there was Coppertone in the 50s and 60s, which we now know was full of the wrong things and actually caused free-radical damage to the skin once it broke down in the sun. Poor Mom used to chase us around everywhere with that stuff.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sun damage doesn't really catch up with us until our 30's and 40's. This is sun damage that you are experiencing. The freckles you are seeing are decades of accumulated sun damage. It will only get worse if you keep tanning.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts