Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought and used monobenxone/benoquin for several months. I have had enormous success with it. As a scientist, I am aware of the scant scientific peer reviewed literature about this compound, and I am aware of the risks. I am Caucasian and I am using monobenzone to complete my skin lightening that I initially started with intense pulsed light/broad band light (laser) treatments which I had performed all over my body, multiple times. This laser treatment removed all of my sun spots (solar lentigos), freckles, and interestingly, any body hair that was in the area treated. To prevent additional freckles and spots from appearing in the future, I am choosing to chemically lighten my skin with benoquin and permanently remove melanin that would contribute to the appearance of these spots. For those who are curious, I am NOT albino, chalky, etc. I look entirely normal and just like what I am...a light-skinned (fair) person. I am aware of the Michael Jackson speculation, and I am aware of Dr. Vicki Ashley, who is listed on the web as someone who reported skin lightening on her own...but I am not overly interested in people I don't really know and thus cannot honestly prove/disprove what they did/report doing. I can offer what I did for my own regimen and I can tell you honestly what to expect. As a professonal trained in the science of pharamcology (this is not pharmacy) and toxicology, I think I can offer a unique perspective to this issue.
To be frank, because I TEACH MDs and PharmDs, I can tell you that they know little about these compounds. They simply do not have experience with patients who use skin lighteners because it is not terribly common. In fact, if you review the scientific literature (not the lay press) you will see what is said: most dermatologists do not have experience with these compounds and virtually NONE know of anyone in their practice who has depigmented. Thus, they really cannot confidently advise anyone.
After reading many of the threads in this site, I see a lot of misinformation and speculation. I am happy to answer questions if they are legitimate. I am not interested in fueling guesswork and unsubstantiated ideas. Scientists have an obligation to report facts and the truth, and not the special interests/opinions of others. So, you will certainly be getting straight information and if I don't know/don't have experience with a certain modality of skin lightening, I will simply say so.
I am publishing a book on skin lightening in a few months, and this is based on the scientific literature, not reports in women's magazines, advertisements from people with financial interests in certain compounds, or opinions from people who lack a scientific background....so this might provide another source of information for those interested.
So, if anyone has a real query, I am happy to address it.

-ScienceChick

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Wow, ScienceChick, I can't believe I'm the first to reply to your post! First of all, where on earth do you obtain your monobenzone? My ultimate dream is to have perfect, spot-free white skin. Everything on here warns me against mono but I have to admit that a little voice inside me says that for pale caucasian skin it may be OK. I have a couple of small depigmented spots on my arms and they are not that much lighter than the rest of me so I've often wondered how bad mono could be for someone like me.

Please tell me more!

P.S. Sorry everyone! I feel like a traitor or something after all I've learnt but this fascinates me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure. Happy to report what I have experienced. I, too, have guttate hypopigmentation on my back, arms, and neck. This is from having untreated cystic acne that left white, depressed scars all over my body. We could not afford acne treatment and Accutane was not on the market when I had this acne...so I had bad acne that I couldn't treat. I don't think peope will have such disasterous results with the advent of better acne care that is more accessible. Accutane was taken off the market last year, so that option is out but is replaced by other compounds/technologies.
So, these white scars, to me, are bothersome. I have had strangers approach me in the past to ask if I had a tinea infection which is a white, polka-dot fungal infection that some people acquire. This infection is magnified by a tan...the spots really stand out (it can be cured with a few applications of selsun blue).
I explain to them that I don't have tinea, but I have scars, and that these white scars are permanent and due to a destruction of the melanocyte producing cells in the skin. The destruction comes from the inflammation form the acne and the continual picking of the acne, which I did regularly...like most kids.
So, my goal with benoquin was two-fold: I wanted to stop producing more age spots (check!) and I wanted to uniformly lighten my skin to reduce the visibility of these hypopigmented spots (check!). It worked. My skin is light enough now that the "white spots" are not relaly detectable. I am sure that with more skin lightening, these spots will blend more. After all, I am removing pigment from the surrounding skin, and this should match the depigmented scars. The only caveat is that these depressed scars are slightly shiny due to collagen deposition which is the physiological manner of laying down scar tissue...so I don't expect that these scars will go away, but I do expect them to be less visible.
Frankly, I went this route to have a way to stop doing laser. My laser treatments were 300-500 per area per session. I tallied the money I spent in the past 6 years on laser, and I calculated that I spent close to 30,000 for it. It worked, and I am more than pleased for what it did for my skin. It certainly got me on the right path to keeping out of the sun (required for all laser patients...forever).
Likewise, if you start this treatment, you will have to treat your WHOLE BODY and you must avoid the sun. PERIOD. That sounds impossible, right? I live on the East Coast (beaches, beaches, beaches). I wear micronized zinc oxide on every exposed surface of my skin and then I wear pants and long sleeves...year round. Yes, I sweat like a dog in the 100-degree heat...but I console myself with the fact that I am preserving my skin.
Hope that helps. I am always willing to share my experience if it helps anyone.
Cheers!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sure. Happy to report what I have experienced. I, too, have guttate hypopigmentation on my back, arms, and neck. This is from having untreated cystic acne that left white, depressed scars all over my body. We could not afford acne treatment and Accutane was not on the market when I had this acne...so I had bad acne that I couldn't treat. I don't think peope will have such disasterous results with the advent of better acne care that is more accessible. Accutane was taken off the market last year, so that option is out but is replaced by other compounds/technologies.
So, these white scars, to me, are bothersome. I have had strangers approach me in the past to ask if I had a tinea infection which is a white, polka-dot fungal infection that some people acquire. This infection is magnified by a tan...the spots really stand out (it can be cured with a few applications of selsun blue).
I explain to them that I don't have tinea, but I have scars, and that these white scars are permanent and due to a destruction of the melanocyte producing cells in the skin. The destruction comes from the inflammation form the acne and the continual picking of the acne, which I did regularly...like most kids.
So, my goal with benoquin was two-fold: I wanted to stop producing more age spots (check!) and I wanted to uniformly lighten my skin to reduce the visibility of these hypopigmented spots (check!). It worked. My skin is light enough now that the "white spots" are not relaly detectable. I am sure that with more skin lightening, these spots will blend more. After all, I am removing pigment from the surrounding skin, and this should match the depigmented scars. The only caveat is that these depressed scars are slightly shiny due to collagen deposition which is the physiological manner of laying down scar tissue...so I don't expect that these scars will go away, but I do expect them to be less visible.
Frankly, I went this route to have a way to stop doing laser. My laser treatments were 300-500 per area per session. I tallied the money I spent in the past 6 years on laser, and I calculated that I spent close to 30,000 for it. It worked, and I am more than pleased for what it did for my skin. It certainly got me on the right path to keeping out of the sun (required for all laser patients...forever).
Likewise, if you start this treatment, you will have to treat your WHOLE BODY and you must avoid the sun. PERIOD. That sounds impossible, right? I live on the East Coast (beaches, beaches, beaches). I wear micronized zinc oxide on every exposed surface of my skin and then I wear pants and long sleeves...year round. Yes, I sweat like a dog in the 100-degree heat...but I console myself with the fact that I am preserving my skin.
Cheers!
i know this is off topic but do you have any remedies to eliminate strech marks?

·
Banned
7,939 Posts
Cheers!
So when you lightened with monobenzone, was it patchy and erratic? Or did you go through the cycle of dark to light then exfoliation, dark to light, then peeling?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Interesting post, scienceChick & welcome to the group. like most people here, i react viscerally whenever I hear about someone using mono. So many horror stories; so little scientific testing & documentation. LNL (whom you met above) & I both go to the sources: peer reviewed scientific journals & seek out original studies.

Since your skin was already Caucasian, would you say that the fears dark (>Fitzpatrick IV) skin typed individuals have re mono are justified? How, exactly, did you use the product & how long did it take you to achieve the results you wanted?

·
Registered
534 Posts
interesting post, sciencechick & welcome to the group. Like most people here, i react viscerally whenever i hear about someone using mono. So many horror stories; so little scientific testing & documentation. Lnl (whom you met above) & i both go to the sources: Peer reviewed scientific journals & seek out original studies.

Since your skin was already caucasian, would you say that the fears dark (>fitzpatrick iv) skin typed individuals have re mono are justified? How, exactly, did you use the product & how long did it take you to achieve the results you wanted?
arent you using mono?

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Nope; I use Likas/HQ4%/RA0.1%. I'd tried mono20% briefly & read the accounts of the risks as well as the lack of reliable research on it & stopped before I screwed up my skin.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Guys, SC herself has acknowledged that there is "scant scientific peer reviewed literature about this compound," so anything she says is not authoritative or backed by anything other than her personal experience. One person's anecdotes hardly substitutes for rigorous testing! Proceed with lots of caution and take anything you read here with a huge grain of salt.

Call me a cynic but IMO this is a shady thread.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Cheers!
Thanks so much ScienceChick! I have been dying to get on here to see what you would say but my life has gotten in the way as usual!
This is absolutely exciting to me! I still don't know whether I am brave enough to go this route but I have wondered for a long time whether it was possible for a caucasian to use mono. Did you have a lot of obvious patchiness at first or did your skin just gradually lighten? Did you use it on your face too? Are you a strange white color or do you just look really fair? Did you mix your cream with an oil or use it straight? Sorry for SO many questions but I have wondered about this for so long.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Well I don't know what happened to ScienceChick. I was so keen to know the answers to my questions. I know everyone hates the m word and I hope I won't be very unpopular for bringing this thread back but I just can't get this out of my head.

The only thing that stopped me from buying benoquin last night was the cost. I mean $300 for five tubes?!?!? I just can't stop wondering how harmful it could possibly be for me when I'm already very light. My depigmented scars are only about two shades lighter than the rest of me so even if I got patchy, it wouldn't be all that noticeable. I've been pouring over pictures of people with vitiligo and the depigmented parts of their body are THE color I want my skin to be. I know most of you will disagree and I suppose it's just personal taste.

Obviously if there is another way I can get my skin that light, I will do it instead but I just don't know if it is possible to get that light without mono.

I have been thinking about this for so long. I just wish there was more information on fair caucasian people using it. Is it really that dangerous for a fair person to use?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks and please don't be mad at me for bringing this up again

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Karenannev, please feel free to bring uo any conerns or questions you have. Anyone not interested in the subject can check out other threads. I'm reading all I can about it. I'm not prepared to just take this person's word for it. There is, in her own words, little factual info out there & I don't want to be the guinea pig who winds up disfigured. I'm researching mono in low % ages like 3-5%. Getting info is like pulling teeth. Nothing wrong with being curious. Better to NOT act spontaneously on your curiosity, though based upon wishful thinking. You'd be risking too much.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for replying, Ondine. I don't want to jump into it either, but I just can't seem to get it out of my head. I know most of you think Thienna looks terrible, and that she used mono, but that is the shade I desperately want to be. I just love that look. I just feel miserable about my color at the moment. The Fair and Flawless seems to have reached it's maximum on my arms, and I am so incredibly tired of piling powder on my face to tone down my color. I'm STILL waiting for my Fair and White which I ordered on 15 February and I feel like I've made no progress at all since I joined in August. I just so long to be pale. Sorry for the whinge but just needed to get if off my chest. Thanks for listening

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Whinge all you like! We all want to achieve our skin goals & the quest can be frustrating. If I find out anything valid & reliable about mono, I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Whinge all you like! We all want to achieve our skin goals & the quest can be frustrating. .
THANK YOU... Someone understands us newbies

1 - 20 of 77 Posts