Skin Care Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Wow, ScienceChick, I can't believe I'm the first to reply to your post! First of all, where on earth do you obtain your monobenzone? My ultimate dream is to have perfect, spot-free white skin. Everything on here warns me against mono but I have to admit that a little voice inside me says that for pale caucasian skin it may be OK. I have a couple of small depigmented spots on my arms and they are not that much lighter than the rest of me so I've often wondered how bad mono could be for someone like me.

Please tell me more!

P.S. Sorry everyone! I feel like a traitor or something after all I've learnt but this fascinates me.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Sure. Happy to report what I have experienced. I, too, have guttate hypopigmentation on my back, arms, and neck. This is from having untreated cystic acne that left white, depressed scars all over my body. We could not afford acne treatment and Accutane was not on the market when I had this acne...so I had bad acne that I couldn't treat. I don't think peope will have such disasterous results with the advent of better acne care that is more accessible. Accutane was taken off the market last year, so that option is out but is replaced by other compounds/technologies.
So, these white scars, to me, are bothersome. I have had strangers approach me in the past to ask if I had a tinea infection which is a white, polka-dot fungal infection that some people acquire. This infection is magnified by a tan...the spots really stand out (it can be cured with a few applications of selsun blue).
I explain to them that I don't have tinea, but I have scars, and that these white scars are permanent and due to a destruction of the melanocyte producing cells in the skin. The destruction comes from the inflammation form the acne and the continual picking of the acne, which I did regularly...like most kids.
So, my goal with benoquin was two-fold: I wanted to stop producing more age spots (check!) and I wanted to uniformly lighten my skin to reduce the visibility of these hypopigmented spots (check!). It worked. My skin is light enough now that the "white spots" are not relaly detectable. I am sure that with more skin lightening, these spots will blend more. After all, I am removing pigment from the surrounding skin, and this should match the depigmented scars. The only caveat is that these depressed scars are slightly shiny due to collagen deposition which is the physiological manner of laying down scar tissue...so I don't expect that these scars will go away, but I do expect them to be less visible.
Frankly, I went this route to have a way to stop doing laser. My laser treatments were 300-500 per area per session. I tallied the money I spent in the past 6 years on laser, and I calculated that I spent close to 30,000 for it. It worked, and I am more than pleased for what it did for my skin. It certainly got me on the right path to keeping out of the sun (required for all laser patients...forever).
Likewise, if you start this treatment, you will have to treat your WHOLE BODY and you must avoid the sun. PERIOD. That sounds impossible, right? I live on the East Coast (beaches, beaches, beaches). I wear micronized zinc oxide on every exposed surface of my skin and then I wear pants and long sleeves...year round. Yes, I sweat like a dog in the 100-degree heat...but I console myself with the fact that I am preserving my skin.
Hope that helps. I am always willing to share my experience if it helps anyone.
Cheers!
Thanks so much ScienceChick! I have been dying to get on here to see what you would say but my life has gotten in the way as usual!
This is absolutely exciting to me! I still don't know whether I am brave enough to go this route but I have wondered for a long time whether it was possible for a caucasian to use mono. Did you have a lot of obvious patchiness at first or did your skin just gradually lighten? Did you use it on your face too? Are you a strange white color or do you just look really fair? Did you mix your cream with an oil or use it straight? Sorry for SO many questions but I have wondered about this for so long.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Well I don't know what happened to ScienceChick. I was so keen to know the answers to my questions. I know everyone hates the m word and I hope I won't be very unpopular for bringing this thread back but I just can't get this out of my head.

The only thing that stopped me from buying benoquin last night was the cost. I mean $300 for five tubes?!?!? I just can't stop wondering how harmful it could possibly be for me when I'm already very light. My depigmented scars are only about two shades lighter than the rest of me so even if I got patchy, it wouldn't be all that noticeable. I've been pouring over pictures of people with vitiligo and the depigmented parts of their body are THE color I want my skin to be. I know most of you will disagree and I suppose it's just personal taste.

Obviously if there is another way I can get my skin that light, I will do it instead but I just don't know if it is possible to get that light without mono.

I have been thinking about this for so long. I just wish there was more information on fair caucasian people using it. Is it really that dangerous for a fair person to use?

What are everyone's thoughts?

Thanks and please don't be mad at me for bringing this up again

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for replying, Ondine. I don't want to jump into it either, but I just can't seem to get it out of my head. I know most of you think Thienna looks terrible, and that she used mono, but that is the shade I desperately want to be. I just love that look. I just feel miserable about my color at the moment. The Fair and Flawless seems to have reached it's maximum on my arms, and I am so incredibly tired of piling powder on my face to tone down my color. I'm STILL waiting for my Fair and White which I ordered on 15 February and I feel like I've made no progress at all since I joined in August. I just so long to be pale. Sorry for the whinge but just needed to get if off my chest. Thanks for listening

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks both of you. I so badly wish you were right, Enticing, and it was that simple. I have been so close to buying it and the cost has put me off a bit.

Ondine, I had no idea about thinning. What is in it that would cause thinning? That's the last thing I need. I don't mind that it's not permanent and would be quite happy to use it forever if I had to but the thinning worries me.

BTW, I can't believe that ScienceChick, who may be able to give us a lot more information if she was for real, has just disappeared after offering to answer our questions. Very, very strange, and disappointing for me in particular.

Thanks again for your warning, Ondine

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks again both of you. Enticing, the sun avoidance is not a problem for me. I have avoided the sun for so many years and even more so now. I won't let it touch me, period. Summer is over now in Australia and I can safely say I got no sun exposure whatsoever. I wore long sleeves every single day, used sunscreen and my umbrella. And I'm very much an indoors person. I am so used to avoiding the sun, I intend it to be a lifelong thing.

Ondine, has there been any evidence of people with vitiligo using it getting cancer, kidney problems or anything else? And the severe rashes? Does that happen to everyone? I'm just sort of hoping that I may be OK. I was thinking about using just a tiny amount on my face to start with, perhaps combined with RA. If I used 50/50 mono/RA, would that not decrease the mono to 10% instead of 20%? Maybe that's a silly question, I don't know. When you used it, did you have any irritation or discomfort? I can't believe I haven't asked you that yet! I know you said it was very thick and pasty, but other than that what was it like to use? Did you use it on your face? Sorry for all the questions, but I know you won't mind
. Thanks

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for your support, Enticing. At the moment, the only thing that is stopping me from ordering is the fact that the only site that Ondine says sells legit benoquin is fairnglow, and you have to buy five tubes at once, which is fine if you know it's OK for you but if I use it once and find it's too irritating or something, there's over $300 down the drain. I'm still tempted at the moment, though and feel like it's just a matter of time...

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Tropical North,

You could either go the economical route and use HQ/RA (read the many threads on this) and click on Ondine's signature for where to buy it extremely cheaply, or Fair and Flawless 5XF gel which has cleared up my arms and hands really well. It is much more expensive but would last a year if just used on your hands.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Ondine, has there been any evidence of people with vitiligo using it getting cancer, kidney problems or anything else? And the severe rashes? Does that happen to everyone? I'm just sort of hoping that I may be OK. I was thinking about using just a tiny amount on my face to start with, perhaps combined with RA. If I used 50/50 mono/RA, would that not decrease the mono to 10% instead of 20%? Maybe that's a silly question, I don't know. When you used it, did you have any irritation or discomfort? I can't believe I haven't asked you that yet! I know you said it was very thick and pasty, but other than that what was it like to use? Did you use it on your face? Sorry for all the questions, but I know you won't mind
. Thanks
Bumping for Ondine, who may have missed this

· Registered
1,360 Posts
ScienceChick, I am SO glad you are back. I am sorry too, if we read you wrong. I'm sorry you've been sick. We should have given you the benefit of the doubt. I am still extremely interested in depigmenting. Thank you so very much for all this information. Just a couple more questions: did you use it on your face with the oil? And did it cause you to break out? Could I use it with a facial moisturiser on my face instead? Did the mixture leave your body very greasy or did it absorb? I keep reading that mono has been discontinued. Is there any chance that this is true and that I will start my process and then run out and not be able to obtain any more? There is just so much conflicting advice on places like Askmehelpdesk regarding mono use. I want to do exactly what you did and I'm so glad you are here to give advice.

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks Ondine. These things do worry me a little. BUT I can't get it out of my head that this could be the answer for me. I want my pigment gone! I just don't know how anything else is going to give me the complexion I want. What if I did have success. I may be one of the ones it could work well for. I just can't get this idea out of my head. I do appreciate your warning though

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks Ondine. OK, I will look into Solage. It sounds very interesting! I'm willing to try just about anything at the moment to get the look I want, but if mequinol is safer and can maybe do the same thing, I will look into it first

ScienceChick if you are around, do you know anything about this?

· Registered
1,360 Posts
Girl, thank you SO MUCH for your warning. I have pretty much decided against trying mono in the last week or two. Reyaz's post, Ondines constant warnings, and your very specific experience has really put me off. Thank goodness for you guys!! I honestly appreciate it so much. If my Fair and White does nothing, and I'll give it a bit longer, I will definitely try either 10% HQ or more likely 10% mequinol in Leukodinine. I've also ordered F&F Suntan Removal Cream. There really are so many more options and I'd be pretty stupid to try mono, really, especially and most of all, if it could harm my son though contact.

Thanks again!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts