Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
That would be awesome! Thanks again
I would buy the mono if I were you...I mean what's the worse that could happen? remember mono is for TOTAL DEPIGMENTATION! that pale vampireish look you want which I happen to think is beautiful as well. remember people usually get that streak or discoloration at the beginning...there is no partial depigmentation with mono its either 100% or no percent! I think you'd be fine. go for it...nothing has ever been achieved without trial and error

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
"...I mean what's the worse that could happen?"- Enticing

Enticing, that is not a question to ever leave open-ended & assume the answer is 'nothing'. What you're saying isn't supported by the factual info out there re mono (Go to Googlw Scholar & search monobenzone depigmentation). Researchers are uncertain as to how it works in the body. It is simply not understood. ALL the sources I've checked say the same thing.

In some people it doesn't even work & Drs don't know why that is. Another thing that mystifies them is that, for example, a person applies mono 20% to their left arm &, while this area depigments, they notice satellite depigmentation in the middle of their back. How or why this happens is unknown.

Another problem is that in some people mono triggers hyperpigmentation! When mono is tested on animals, it causes hyperpigmentation in most cases but does the reverse in most people. they know what it is, how to make it & what it is likely to do & not do BUT they haven't a clue as to the whys & hows of it. For me, that is a BIG problem because they are unaware of potential systemic effects. Since it has only been tested on humans with widespread vitiligo (an autoimmune disorder) Nothing is known about how it works in otherwise healthy people.

Mono is NOT 100% permanent in all people. Many need to maintain with biweekly applications. Even if all melanocyted in the skin have ceased to produce melanin, melanin also resides in the hair follicle & some people begin repigmenting through that melanin.

Some of the 'worst that can happen' is:

- permanent disfigurement through extreme thinning.
- severe irritation
- severe rashes
- eczema

THere are more risks that have been posted elsewhere. This is not a cosmetic bleach but a strong depigmenting agent which is not understood even by those compounding it. Until the above questions are resolved & more is understood about it, I'd urge curious people to watch the emerging research but not experiment on their own bodies.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks both of you. I so badly wish you were right, Enticing, and it was that simple. I have been so close to buying it and the cost has put me off a bit.

Ondine, I had no idea about thinning. What is in it that would cause thinning? That's the last thing I need. I don't mind that it's not permanent and would be quite happy to use it forever if I had to but the thinning worries me.

BTW, I can't believe that ScienceChick, who may be able to give us a lot more information if she was for real, has just disappeared after offering to answer our questions. Very, very strange, and disappointing for me in particular.

Thanks again for your warning, Ondine

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Any time. What made me wonder is that she said that the forum was rife with misinformation BUT didn't point out & correct a single example. She claims to have spent 30G on laser resurfacing (on Caucasian skin) but then needed benoquin? Both of her threads included 'plugs' for a product. One was a link to a mono vendor & the other was for a book about mono that she's allegedly writing. She acknowledges that there is very little reliable info out there re mono BUT doesn't cite any peer reviewed research/studies that she has conducted in order to provide her with a valid basis for a book that tells us anything more than what is already known. Definitely dodgy.

·
Registered
662 Posts
"...I mean what's the worse that could happen?"- Enticing

Enticing, that is not a question to ever leave open-ended & assume the answer is 'nothing'. What you're saying isn't supported by the factual info out there re mono (Go to Googlw Scholar & search monobenzone depigmentation). Researchers are uncertain as to how it works in the body. It is simply not understood. ALL the sources I've checked say the same thing.

In some people it doesn't even work & Drs don't know why that is. Another thing that mystifies them is that, for example, a person applies mono 20% to their left arm &, while this area depigments, they notice satellite depigmentation in the middle of their back. How or why this happens is unknown.

Another problem is that in some people mono triggers hyperpigmentation! When mono is tested on animals, it causes hyperpigmentation in most cases but does the reverse in most people. they know what it is, how to make it & what it is likely to do & not do BUT they haven't a clue as to the whys & hows of it. For me, that is a BIG problem because they are unaware of potential systemic effects. Since it has only been tested on humans with widespread vitiligo (an autoimmune disorder) Nothing is known about how it works in otherwise healthy people.

Mono is NOT 100% permanent in all people. Many need to maintain with biweekly applications. Even if all melanocyted in the skin have ceased to produce melanin, melanin also resides in the hair follicle & some people begin repigmenting through that melanin.

Some of the 'worst that can happen' is:

- permanent disfigurement through extreme thinning.
- severe irritation
- severe rashes
- eczema

THere are more risks that have been posted elsewhere. This is not a cosmetic bleach but a strong depigmenting agent which is not understood even by those compounding it. Until the above questions are resolved & more is understood about it, I'd urge curious people to watch the emerging research but not experiment on their own bodies.
all true ondine. however these side effects that you mentioned....reports show that they are prevalent in people of color, not just any color but skin color that is usually rich brown, or dark brown or black. I know some one who is using mono on her own, she's the singer Shakira's complexion. I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH LIGHTER SHE PLANS TO GET!!!! I'd be on cloud nine with a years pass to newyork's hottest gay club if I were her skin tone! karenannev is already very light, if there were any side effects (which I doubt there would be where she is concerned) I doubt they'd be noticeable by the naked human eye. she's only going to be trying it out, and she's not going to use THAT much considering she's already very light skinned and only needs to get a few shades lighter to reach her desired skin tone.
the only thing I would be worried about is the Australian sun! people rave about wearing sun screen but at the end of the day it MAY PREVENT SOME of the UV rays from getting to you, BUT THE SUN STILL STIMULATES PIGMENT PRODUCTION, IN THE VERNACULAR YOU GET DARK AGAIN! so sun block or sun screen does very little JUST TRY TO AVOID THE SUN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!!!!
another thing is this...after using mono one would be more susceptible to sun damage. but at the end of the day its up to karenannev! I still think its worth a try

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
The severe rashes that often leave behind scarring would be visible to the naked eye. Systemic effects, which are highly likely in light of satellite lightening (means mono is travelling through the body in an unknown manner) are not visible- until either blood/urine tests or kidney failure ensue. Scientists are not even sure how or why mono works. Ubtil more is factully known & documented about this agent. Why not choose effective safe alternatives?

I agree re sunblock & sun avoidance. I also agree that it is ultimately up to the individual to decide what they want to use. Whenevr I'm learning about a new agent, I take it to Google Scholar & check what the research, in peer reviewed journals, says. So far, mono is a no-no for anything but final depigmentation in patients with >50% vitiligo.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks again both of you. Enticing, the sun avoidance is not a problem for me. I have avoided the sun for so many years and even more so now. I won't let it touch me, period. Summer is over now in Australia and I can safely say I got no sun exposure whatsoever. I wore long sleeves every single day, used sunscreen and my umbrella. And I'm very much an indoors person. I am so used to avoiding the sun, I intend it to be a lifelong thing.

Ondine, has there been any evidence of people with vitiligo using it getting cancer, kidney problems or anything else? And the severe rashes? Does that happen to everyone? I'm just sort of hoping that I may be OK. I was thinking about using just a tiny amount on my face to start with, perhaps combined with RA. If I used 50/50 mono/RA, would that not decrease the mono to 10% instead of 20%? Maybe that's a silly question, I don't know. When you used it, did you have any irritation or discomfort? I can't believe I haven't asked you that yet! I know you said it was very thick and pasty, but other than that what was it like to use? Did you use it on your face? Sorry for all the questions, but I know you won't mind
. Thanks

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks again both of you. Enticing, the sun avoidance is not a problem for me. I have avoided the sun for so many years and even more so now. I won't let it touch me, period. Summer is over now in Australia and I can safely say I got no sun exposure whatsoever. I wore long sleeves every single day, used sunscreen and my umbrella. And I'm very much an indoors person. I am so used to avoiding the sun, I intend it to be a lifelong thing.

Ondine, has there been any evidence of people with vitiligo using it getting cancer, kidney problems or anything else? And the severe rashes? Does that happen to everyone? I'm just sort of hoping that I may be OK. I was thinking about using just a tiny amount on my face to start with, perhaps combined with RA. If I used 50/50 mono/RA, would that not decrease the mono to 10% instead of 20%? Maybe that's a silly question, I don't know. When you used it, did you have any irritation or discomfort? I can't believe I haven't asked you that yet! I know you said it was very thick and pasty, but other than that what was it like to use? Did you use it on your face? Sorry for all the questions, but I know you won't mind
. Thanks
I would soooo go for it! I love experimenting so much! thats how you learn and thats how you grow as a person, as an individual both physically and intellectually! ya the sun is a BIG NO NO NO FOR EVERYONE! forget the beach...forget the park...forget all that...the sun ages you quicker than cigarets and alcohol and cancer put together.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have age spots on my hands...what do you suggest I use to remove/lessen them...your article was very informative...thanks very much
tropical north
I have bought and used monobenxone/benoquin for several months. I have had enormous success with it. As a scientist, I am aware of the scant scientific peer reviewed literature about this compound, and I am aware of the risks. I am Caucasian and I am using monobenzone to complete my skin lightening that I initially started with intense pulsed light/broad band light (laser) treatments which I had performed all over my body, multiple times. This laser treatment removed all of my sun spots (solar lentigos), freckles, and interestingly, any body hair that was in the area treated. To prevent additional freckles and spots from appearing in the future, I am choosing to chemically lighten my skin with benoquin and permanently remove melanin that would contribute to the appearance of these spots. For those who are curious, I am NOT albino, chalky, etc. I look entirely normal and just like what I am...a light-skinned (fair) person. I am aware of the Michael Jackson speculation, and I am aware of Dr. Vicki Ashley, who is listed on the web as someone who reported skin lightening on her own...but I am not overly interested in people I don't really know and thus cannot honestly prove/disprove what they did/report doing. I can offer what I did for my own regimen and I can tell you honestly what to expect. As a professonal trained in the science of pharamcology (this is not pharmacy) and toxicology, I think I can offer a unique perspective to this issue.
To be frank, because I TEACH MDs and PharmDs, I can tell you that they know little about these compounds. They simply do not have experience with patients who use skin lighteners because it is not terribly common. In fact, if you review the scientific literature (not the lay press) you will see what is said: most dermatologists do not have experience with these compounds and virtually NONE know of anyone in their practice who has depigmented. Thus, they really cannot confidently advise anyone.
After reading many of the threads in this site, I see a lot of misinformation and speculation. I am happy to answer questions if they are legitimate. I am not interested in fueling guesswork and unsubstantiated ideas. Scientists have an obligation to report facts and the truth, and not the special interests/opinions of others. So, you will certainly be getting straight information and if I don't know/don't have experience with a certain modality of skin lightening, I will simply say so.
I am publishing a book on skin lightening in a few months, and this is based on the scientific literature, not reports in women's magazines, advertisements from people with financial interests in certain compounds, or opinions from people who lack a scientific background....so this might provide another source of information for those interested.
So, if anyone has a real query, I am happy to address it.

-ScienceChick

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks for your support, Enticing. At the moment, the only thing that is stopping me from ordering is the fact that the only site that Ondine says sells legit benoquin is fairnglow, and you have to buy five tubes at once, which is fine if you know it's OK for you but if I use it once and find it's too irritating or something, there's over $300 down the drain. I'm still tempted at the moment, though and feel like it's just a matter of time...

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hi Tropical North,

You could either go the economical route and use HQ/RA (read the many threads on this) and click on Ondine's signature for where to buy it extremely cheaply, or Fair and Flawless 5XF gel which has cleared up my arms and hands really well. It is much more expensive but would last a year if just used on your hands.

·
Registered
534 Posts
this science chick is a scammer she is abviously promoting mono!watch shes not gonne come back(at least not on the thread probably PM),look at the name that she chose"science chick" she wanted to intemidate people into buying her crap.she copied bits and pieces of other articles(on google) about mono in here thread.thats really pathetic i cant understand people like her/him who dont have a conscious when misleading people just for the sake of promoting a product that many have confessed caused them permanent disfigurement.and plus what she saying is not backed up with any type of scientific study or research. dosent that smell fishy??? scientist my ***!!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
. Thanks
Bumping for Ondine, who may have missed this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Sorry for the delay in responses. I have been out for a week with norovirus.

I will cease posting if people really believe this post is shady. I don't neeed the frustration and I am happy to share my story elsewhere. I only wanted to be helpful.

First, I am a real person (reference to shady comment). My PhD is in toxicology and pharmacology. My postdoctoral fellwoship with the FDA was in neurotoxicology. I am 40 years old. I live in the south. I am faculty at the medical university here. I am not providing more information because I have a family...you understand.

Next, the studies I have in my lap are a handful on monobenzone/benoquin that have been published. There are not many. I am sure we have all read the same literature, such as the study about monobenzone migration to the eye. If you don't know about this study, it is worth viewing. Again, it is a small n (meaning 1 person) so this is not a rigorous, double-blind, controlled study as I am accustomed to having in front of me. There are simply no studies (or none that I could find in my 7-year search) on this in that fashion. Yes, I am posting about my personal experience as well, and I state that.

For those interested:

T. R. Hedges, 3rd, K. R. Kenyon, L. A. Hanninen, D. B. Mosher, Corneal and conjunctival effects of monobenzone in patients with vitiligo. Arch Ophthalmol 101, 64 (Jan, 1983).

I was leery of jumping in on this as a scientist because I can only offer peer-reviewed data and my personal journey. I never misrepresented this.

To answer the queries I did see...

Yes being Caucasian, I don't have to worry as much about erratic depigmenting. Because you will be (ideally) mixing the monobenzone with an oil-soluble adjuvant (baby oil, etc) you will be able to literally smear this stuff everywhere, even between toes.

I have used this product for 9 months. I mix my entire 20 g tube with Neutrogena body oil (light). I have to shake it often as I use it because the pink-ish monobenzone sediments back to the bottom of the bottle. Shake, shake, squirt, use. Repeat.

I had no peeling. I am suspicious of statements of peeling. This compound is not irritiating enough to cause frank peeling. Now, if you are compounding it with tretinoin, there can be peeling and flaking. I have done this for a week or two on stubborn spots to accelerate skin turnover and lightening. I usually get a acne-like breakout, though because I tend to rub the flaking skin and irritate it.

I am now free of freckles and solar lentigos because I am pigment free. Interestingly, and I have stated this elsewhere, I am not chalky. I doubt you can tell unless you use a Woods lamp to see what I have done. None of my students know. My faculty friends don't know. They just think of me as fair or light skinned. Since I am a red-head, this is common coloration.

I went to the Carribbean after doing this...I was there a week, and I used lots of micronized zinc oxide (Ocean Potion makes a great one...blue lid and white bottom of the container) and wore a hat, long sleeves, and pants every day, all day, as I do here, in the south. I was a sweaty, hot mess.

So, I guess I made a trial run at taking this light skin where the sun is unforgivable. I did fine, and I would expect this to be my situation from now on...rigorous sun protection which is what I should have done in the first place, many years ago.

I didn't think it would work, honestly. Of course, the thing I didn't get away with is the wrinkles from the sun damage. My fine lines are still present, but you would expect that. We are only targeting color, not wrinkles.

If this thread/post is no longer welcome, I am happy to remove my listing.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
In response to the poster who mentioned me "scamming":
I am not selling any product. For the record. I buy my monobenzone for about 13.00 from buy-pharma.com

I am surprised at the tone this board has taken...is this typical of threads?

I am more accustomed to discussion and conversation...not name calling and such.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Don't be put off by it. There is a LOT of scamming in this area, because of it being such a specific but very badly-researched niche. There is so little information on it compared to the demand, and people can, will and do take advantage of this. People will be jaded and sceptical, and while it's quite rude sometimes... the jadedness and scepticism is unfortunately necessary.

For what it's worth, I and others appreciate your input and sharing of personal experiences. You are being very helpful in increasing awareness and knowledge about this topic. Do be aware that "monobenzone" is both a holy and unholy grail to some

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
There is no need to feel chased off the forum. Please understand that we have been bombarded by every type & variety of shady scammer that you can concieve of. Since mono use in non-vitiligo affected people for cosmetic purposes has been studied even less than than it has in vitiligo patients, please understand people's reluctance to embrace it's usage. Certainly the erratic lightening would be more visible on darker skinned individuals, but visible effects are only a part of the greater problem which is its poorly understood mechanisms of function & the probability of systemic effects. I'm curious as to why satellite functioning occurs. Also, since there is so little research to support any assertions about Mono, aside form giving a synopsis of the existing data & from your personal anecdote which may or may not be appliable to a broad spectrum of people, what new data will you be presenting in your book? Are you aware of any new (peer reviewed) studies? Also, what do you say about the usage of mono in considerably lower concentrations such as 4%-10% with 0.1% tretinoin suspended in a hydrophilic base? There has been some discussion in various sources online of late concerning such formulations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello science chick. thank god for you. i became a member because of you. i need your advice and help. i am an african american female. i purchase my cream from the same place as you. i started using without really enough info. my question is. i used under my arms and it is now lightening my chest area. i also did my bikini area and it is lightening my thighs as well. what should i mix it with to get a more even result. the result on mu chest is rather patchy. will send you pics if you would like to see. i love it but i have learned by trial and error. i initially used day and night under arms. not realizing it was working although i had not seen anything yet. i am lighter than i wanted to be in that area. please help.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts