Skin Care Talk banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
What you are experiencing is mono20% notorious satellite lightening. In a manner not scientifically understood, Mono travels through the system to affect areas where the product was not applied. Mono is a depigmenting agent: NOT a 'fade cream' or 'lightener'. If you continue to apply it, your skin will depigment completely leaving it in a condition akin to an Albino's skin. Science chick is Caucasian. Uneven lightening (or even complete depigmentation) will look very different on her skin and features than it will on yours. Mono hasn't even been tested as a lightening agent on African American skin NOT affected by vitiligo. Once the melanocytes die, the skin cannot produce melanin and you will remain either blotchy or completely white. Please think twice.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ScienceChick, I am SO glad you are back. I am sorry too, if we read you wrong. I'm sorry you've been sick. We should have given you the benefit of the doubt. I am still extremely interested in depigmenting. Thank you so very much for all this information. Just a couple more questions: did you use it on your face with the oil? And did it cause you to break out? Could I use it with a facial moisturiser on my face instead? Did the mixture leave your body very greasy or did it absorb? I keep reading that mono has been discontinued. Is there any chance that this is true and that I will start my process and then run out and not be able to obtain any more? There is just so much conflicting advice on places like Askmehelpdesk regarding mono use. I want to do exactly what you did and I'm so glad you are here to give advice.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Askme help desk is not a reliable source for info. I've never seen so much spam in one place in my life!

Mono isn't being produced in the USA any more. The major concers, to the extent that the research reveals is largely one of :

viscosity: THe stuff is like a sort of chalky paste that is extremely hard to rub into the skin w/o rubbing aggressively & thus exacerbating irritation. THis is why people have taken to blending it into natural oils. Users say that this also reduces the irritation severe drying & peeling effects of the paste. It IS being produced in China, India, Thailand & even Ireland & Holland. The problem with using mono from these sources is the gross lack of oversight. Unless you're able to have each tube tested for purity, you can't be sure what it is that you're using.

Function: Neither scientists, Drs nor pharmacists understand how & why mono works within the body. They know it can kill melanocytes in humans & lead to 100% depigmentation but that in other mammals, it increases melanin production. They also know virtually nothing about the systemic effects (evidenced by satellite lightening. This stuff is travelling through the body in an unknown manner, Obviously, it is popping up in places where it wasn't applied & killing melanocytes from the inside. NOBODY KNOWS what else it is doing or where else it is going. Is it affecting ovarian function & can it lead to birth defects? the jury's still out on that. Is it carcinogenic in the long term? Who knows?

These are not 'scare tactics'. Please check the research & you can see for yourselves what IS known & what is not. Some people HAVE gotten satisfactory results depigmenting with it. Not everyone gets rashes & blotches & unevenness. Then again, not all smokers develop cancer! Not all alcoholics develop cirrhosis of the liver either. Even Science Chick acknowledges that little is known about mono.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks Ondine. These things do worry me a little. BUT I can't get it out of my head that this could be the answer for me. I want my pigment gone! I just don't know how anything else is going to give me the complexion I want. What if I did have success. I may be one of the ones it could work well for. I just can't get this idea out of my head. I do appreciate your warning though

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Why nt ask science chick what she knows about Mequinol? at 3% with RA 0.1% it can likely do the trick for you but with more predictability & fewer risks. Solage features 2% MQ & 0.1% RA & many people (esp Caucasians) rave about it. Very popular with Fair skin lovers in Europe...I'm researching it myself & finding out all I can.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Thanks Ondine. These things do worry me a little. BUT I can't get it out of my head that this could be the answer for me. I want my pigment gone! I just don't know how anything else is going to give me the complexion I want. What if I did have success. I may be one of the ones it could work well for. I just can't get this idea out of my head. I do appreciate your warning though
Mequinol is said to have the same effects as mono, but without the risks. Too little is known about Mequinol as well, but maybe it is worth a try as an extreme measure.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
At least it IS available in FDA approved skin lightening preparations at 2%...which is more that anyone can say for Mono. Solage isn't the only cream like this one either. Just something else to think about.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Thanks Ondine. OK, I will look into Solage. It sounds very interesting! I'm willing to try just about anything at the moment to get the look I want, but if mequinol is safer and can maybe do the same thing, I will look into it first

ScienceChick if you are around, do you know anything about this?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Science Chick- good info mate..

Just to let you know if your interested, if you want to get rid of your tinea infection follow this regimen. I promise you in two weeks you will have yucky worms and ascaris popping out of your gut ( if you do have worms that is). The Tinea infection will also cease.

i dont know if you continue having tinea.. but if you had one .. im sure there are zillions of mites inside you.. well everyone has them.. but some of us have too many that it affects our health.

Here it is -
A solution of sodium chlorite - add lemon juice to it ( Proportion of 1 is to 5 drops) wait for three minutes, add in a glass of water and drink it up.

do this for two weeks, and please do not increase drops of MMS. You will be dropping fluke worms, and ascaris, ring worms and tape worms like never before! No juice fasting could be as effective either !

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mono hasn't even been tested as a lightening agent on African American skin NOT affected by vitiligo. Once the melanocytes die, the skin cannot produce melanin and you will remain either blotchy or completely white. Please think twice.
Monobenzoneâ€2122s mechanism of action is not fully understood. Even the studies available on vitiligo patients is not that extensive.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am a person who used mono, and I have horror stories from it. Anyone want to hear them? I too hoped I was one of the lucky ones. And for the first few months, I was. I didn't get any spoltches nothing, just really fair skin. I barely had to wear makeup, I didn't need to. I got a really pretty skin color. Well then I got freckles, all over my face and neck, then I started getting white spots. The mono seemed to stop working, my parents freaked out. People started asking what was wrong with me, airport personnnel thought I had a disease. people thought I suffered from burn marks. Thats how bad it looked I could barely go to class I was so ashamed. Don't EVER EVER USE THIS STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i HAD TO USE REALLY STRONG TCA PEELS, MANY MANY TIMES TO GET RID OF THIS STUFF, BUT IT'S STILL VERY PROMINENT ON MY NECK, THANK YOU JESUS THAT THIS STUFF LEFT MOST OF MY FACE, MY FACE JUST LOOKS A TAD BIT UNEVEN!!!! KAREN I DON'T THINK YOU ARE ONE OF THE LUCKY ONES. DON'T USE THIS STUFF. The sad part is I knew that mono carried very, the bottle and the website said that there were. I just thought nah, it won't happen to me. Try that solage thing, or buy from goldpharma, I've seen online many people who have used mequinol for many, many years, and they have gorgeous complexions. Don't use mono.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mono is from the devil. Peeling of your skin, not just using tca peels but scraping it off will probably have less long lasting consequences. but I don't recommend that you'll probably die realy quick from a bacterial infection.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Why nt ask science chick what she knows about Mequinol? at 3% with RA 0.1% it can likely do the trick for you but with more predictability & fewer risks. Solage features 2% MQ & 0.1% RA & many people (esp Caucasians) rave about it. Very popular with Fair skin lovers in Europe...I'm researching it myself & finding out all I can.
Does Mequinol work on dark african american skin?

41 - 60 of 77 Posts