Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know I am a long time tanorexic who has given up the sun completely after damaging my skin with copper peptides. I started many regimens over the last months but most recently was using retin-a head to toe and am now doing some glycolic peels to try and get rid of the last of the damage, especially on my arms, and lose the outer shell of hardened skin there. All in all I have healed faster than I expected.

NOW--something very strange has happened which I have spoken to my dermatologist about and given my theory which she agrees can well be what is going on but she too has never seen it. I am about to share it mainly as I want to know if anyone else (since many people here were tanorexics who gave up tanning) has experienced this.

OK--here it is: I stop tanning and then slowly I am turning lighter (mainly yellow/red/white). My skin improves greatly in texture and softness, especially the last weeks. I was using retin-a .1% head to toe then went to a break. Over the time I was using it and transitioned to the break I experienced some break-outs on my sides and back. At first I believed it to be irritation but as time went on and I was no longer on the retin-a all over I started to wonder. Unique manifestations such as freckles elevating and then scabbing (FRECKLES NOT MOLES-nevi), and other scab-like areas. Met with my dermatologist who is a friend looked and said not dangerous or cancerous looking or even damaged. I theorised to her an extreme healing or purging of potentially dangerous cells/damaged skin. She agrees this is possible and neither of us have seen this nor have either she nor I ever read of such a thing.

My theory is that there is some kind of response that I equate to a purging but I am looking for more feedback. I have these small areas that just look like mosquito bites, especially on my sides. The skin has become increasingly smooth and younger looking/acting as these slowly heal.

I am most interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL! I never did either but I have seen something like this or rather read stories like this but it involves the use of Interleukin-2. It is an immune mediated response in which a hyper-excited immune system cleans house and addresses issues old and new. Often old scars will inflame and remodel, old injuries reappear that have long since healed etc. I have always had a very strange reaction to things. I am theorising that perhaps the immunosuppresant effects of UV are wearing off and my body is purging. Just in the last 24 hours I have also seen some long standing nevi turn to scabs. It is weird but I am wondering if other long-term suntanners have experienced anything similar. I will check for ebola though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts