Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned that sun damages the scar, so every time I'm outside while the scar is new I'm using a plaster. Can I use sunscreen instead? Also, what type of UV-rays is it that damages scars?

Btw, what I'm using against my new scars on my lower arm now is:

-Retin-A
-Emu oil
-AHA lotion

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
UV in general can damage scars, especially as they form. UVA is more damaging to scars than UVB but that is more due to a deeper level of damage. UVB superficially damages scars more. When a scar matures (reaches a medical-endpoint, is no longer going to change in other words) then you may be left with hypo-pigmentation. If this is the case you will NEED to get sun exposure to pigment the scar-BUT only when it is completely mature which can be up to 2 years but usually is 6 months to a year. If it is red then it is still healing.

Retin-a and AHA's are better after the scar is completely filled in and is scar tissue and not healing still. It is best used if the scar is hypertrophic (pops out) or keloid. You may also want to use silicone based occlusions for now while it is healing, this is covering it with silicone based products, I find kela-cote the best! Scarzone is also very good this can be bought at Boots. I also would recommend a Copper Peptide as these help skin remodel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plan is to remove it with a laser now since that's the best alternative. I've heard that the best time to remove a scar is when it's still pink, so I need to hurry up
Even though it might not remove the whole scar it's still going to remove most of it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
If it is on your arm you will have trouble finding a doctor to do a procedure that will really work well with a laser. The laser scar revisions are most often with a CO2 laser and are called "ablative" meaning they take off skin (the epidermis/outer layers) to cause the skin to remodel. Ablative laser is NEVER used anywhere other than the face for resurfacing. On the body or anywhere other than face chemical peels or non-ablative lasers are used. The chemical peels are more effective for this but I do not believe too much in non-ablative lasers. Some people rave and most people say-what a waste of money!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Called a couple of clinics today, and one of them said that using restylane was the best option. I've never heard about restylane before, is it any good?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Restylane is a rip-off IMHO. It is dermal filler and just plumps out skin. I do not know how they think it will improve a scar unless you have an indentation?! If the scar is hypertrophic (sticks out) I would see if you can find a doctor that would do a 5-FU injection (5-flourouracil) it is a chemotherapy drug but unlike Kenalog which they usually use for this 5-FU does not cause atrophy in the fat or skin structures and only inhibits collagen production (hypertrophic and keloid scars are defects of collagen synthesis). This way it inhibits excess collagen growth. No matter what you do I would not recommend doing anything yet until the scar has reached a medical endpoint (it is healed as much as it will). I recall you are quite young and the fact is that the body generally does a very good job in remodelling skin tissue until you are 25 (as a small child it is even better!). See where you end up and also see a dermatologist who can tell you exactly what is going on with YOUR particular scar. Only a face to face consult where someone can physically examine the scar will actually help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts