Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the deal, body lotions don't work for me. So, I'm thinking of just using vaseline on my body skin.

What has been your experiences with using vaseline, especially on the body? Has it improved your skin?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I cant stress this enough. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING PETROLEUM OR MINERAL OIL. most intensive skin moisturizers, lotions and creams use these ingredients anyways. petroleum or mineral oil are not the best stuff to use but they do the job and they dont hurt you or your skin. they lock in moisturize well and they wash out easily with almost any soap.

the reason why people are so bent out of shape when it comes to vasoline is because we worry the stuff with clog the pores and choke the life out of our skin and thats just rediculouse as long as you bath everyday and avoid using the stuff on your face if you got acne problems. another problem with petroleum is that it prevents in lotions, serums and creams from penetrating the skin so its not a good idea to buy skin products that have expensive actives (vitamins, minerals, extracts, enzymes, nutrients,peptides,amino acids etc...) from getting into the skin. if you want to use these kind of actives then just use them before you apply mineral oil or petroleum. its that simple. just dont buy products with mineral oil or petroleum already in the batter.

so again, dont sweat it. it not bad for you at all and it works well. plain and simple.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I got some great advice the other day at Whole Foods from another customer. She said to mix a few drops of Vit. E oil into your body butters, lotions, etc? and voila' you've got a great hydrator.

I bought my Vit. E oil at Trader Joe's (it was less expensive there) NOT a cheap version just less expensive that's all. I have been doing this and my skin is really soft. I use the oil straight from the bottle and rub into my feet and throw socks on. My feet are softer, less rough, and look a lot healthier too.

I agree w/HonEB about not getting all concerned. I was all freaked out about using this wonderful translucent powder (which I'll review later) that had Talc as an ingredient and a buddy of mine who really loves natural and mineral MU wrote this to me-here are her exact words:

For example, the talc in Transparent Finish is an ultra-milled Italian Talc, which is about as fine in particle size as well as quality as one can get. If it was a car, it would be a Ferrari. By contrast, the talc in run-of the-mill Baby Powder would be like on old, beat up, late model Buick.

Or to give you another comparison, it's like comparing a McDonald's hamburger to a Filet Mignon from Del Friscos - they are both beef, but they are definitely NOT the same!

I hope this helps and just remember there are different grades of ingredients. Top grade and cheaper lower grades.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i actually like using butters ( coco butter, aloe butter, shea butter, avocado butter etc). again, you probably dont want to use many of these butters if you got acne prone skin but they are great moisturizers. i will actually ad vitamin E to them. that actually sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dtilford, what do you mean that it will do nothing for my skin?

·
Registered
86 Posts
the ingredients in it are ment to act as a barrier protection. It coats the skin so that nothing can get in or get out. It does not hydrate only protect. You are talking about the jelly like stuff aren't your-not the lotion?

"THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING PETROLEUM OR MINERAL OIL."~HONEB ----that is true but petroleum and mineral oil only act as a protector they DO NOT hydrate skin.....if your skin is already dry it will do nothing for it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, I'm referring to the Jelly Stuff. I want to use something like Eucerin, but it's so expensive.

·
Registered
86 Posts
you need to look at the ingredients in that as well......it's not that great either......anything with petroleum or mineral oil as its first ingredients aren't going to do much for your skin....it might seem like it works at first-because it makes the skin soft....but it is truely not hydrating....after you get your skin hydrated it will be excellent to put on afterwards-because it will lock that moisture in.

·
Registered
86 Posts
have you tried aveno or coconut oil......I am not sure about the ingredients in aveno-you might want to check but I think it is ok......also coconut oil is EXCELLENT!!! if you want to spend your money on something that works...use it on that!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
petroleum,mineral oil, avocado oil, shea butter, cocoa butter etc they all dont really moisturize. you need water to moisturize (aloe vera is my favorite wet moisturizer). the lipids above sit on the skin, some get absorbed in better then others but they pretty much just sit on the skin and prevent the moisture from excaping. but the best way to use any of these lipids is after you have wet your skin. only major difference between petroleum and other lipids is usually just the price. petroleum doesnt have any major proporties that help to impove the skin's condition (other then help keep the skin hydrated). but you get what you pay for. you dont need to have all that fancy smancy stuff and if you do you can always apply them before using petroleum. simple.

vasoline is not bad for you or your skin. its just a bargain and a pretty darn good one. i use it when im out of money and cant afford my regular lotions. i also use it on ashy skin. i shower and while my skin is still wet i apply a little.you get the exact same effect as if you where to spend 15 bucks on a lotion thats already a misture of water and lipids.

according to this site Become an Acne Detective mineral oil and petroleum are a better choice for acne prone skin then most other oils which can actually aggrevate acne even thought they have alot of good properties.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Compare Prices and Read Reviews on Bath & Body Works True Blue Spa Lay it on Thick Shea Butter Body Cream at Epinions.com one of the products recommended in this thread is "lay it on thick" and its if full of petroleum. in fact its listed second in the ingredients list. and the amount of shea is amost insignificant. just enough to get honorably mentioned.i wouldnt pay 15 bucks for what is pretty much a petroleum and water concoction.i can make that at home and all i need is a good emulsifier and they are almost dirt cheap.

i couldnt find whats in Mary Kay intense moisture. the cost is 30 bucks to get 2 oz so if it does contain mineral oil or petroleum it would be a shame. and if it doesnt it may be good for your face but a very expensive moisturizer for your body.
again you are getting a bargain with petroleum and mineral oil. thats it. but they work.

are you all talking about "aveeno" or aveno? anyways, you can get the ingredients for aveeno products here Amazon.com: Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion with Natural Colloidal Oatmeal 18 fl oz (532 ml): Health & Personal Care. they all carry petroleum. the product featured on this page has more petroleum then water which isnt my favorite mix but ive read good things about aveeno.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow - I'm always surprised to find out what is in these products!!! I haven't used Lay It On Thick by B&B Works but I have used another of their products - it was in the aromatherapy line (a REALLY thick cream in a silver tube...I didn't see it on their site)...I thought this one might be good because of the Shea Butter...hmmm....

I think you're right about needing water to moisturize - when my skin is super-dry, I put actually put a moisturizer on when I get out of the shower, before even drying off - it soaks the water right into my skin...that might help.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What about mixing my favorite body lotion with Vaseline?

A friend bought me some Victoria Secret body lotion that smells absolutely delicious. However, it does not moisturize me enough. Therefore, I was wondering whether mixing half of the body lotion with half of vaseline would make things better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmmm....that just doesn't sound pleasant to me but if you try it, let me know how it turns out. I've had those Victoria's Secret lotions given to me as gifts before - you're right, they don't work - for me they sit in drawers and cabinets for years until I finally get rid of them...it's the yummy smell that gets you to buy it, right?

·
Registered
86 Posts
same concept applies.......do not even consider vaseline until you get the condition of your skin back to its propper hydrated level. unless you are putting it on OVER your regular moisturizer!!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
same concept applies.......do not even consider vaseline until you get the condition of your skin back to its propper hydrated level. unless you are putting it on OVER your regular moisturizer!!!!
i second this. you must hydrate first so in most cases you would use a lotion which usually has water in the mix (like i said my favorite hydrater is aloe vera jel after a nice shower). then you apply any actives your skin might need then you finish with a sealer (vasoline, oils, butters etc). if you try to do thing backwards the water and actives wont penatrate the lipid layer. i rarely use vasoline cause i prefer butters but which ever i use i always follow the moisture, actives then lipids order. just dont mix lotions with water with oils. lotions have emulsifiers that allow water and lipids to mix together.if you over saturate a lotion (with either oils or lipids) you get a separation. have you every tried mixing oil and water? you can shake the mixture and try to pour it on your skin but you will get mostly oil because the oil is usually the first layer. if you try mixing vasoline and a lotion together you wont get as much the benifit of the moisture in the lotion.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts