Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have very fair skin...any makeup I get is the lightest there is.

I was using ProActiv for about 6 months during my sophomore year of high school and because I didn't have money to get a new package, I had to stop using. My acne got worse.

I've tired alot of things and nothing has helped as good as the ProActiv did during that short time I used it.

About 2 years ago, I went back to ProActiv and it did nothing. Tried two packages this time. (The lady told me if I used it and stopped it might take longer the next time around for my skin to get used to it and work...up to 6 packages!) I stopped because I didn't have the funds or the patience.

I can only afford over the counter things, so I've never tried step-systems since ProActiv.
I did buy a Clearasil or Clean and Clear over the counter system but it dried out my skin terribly. It seems alot of products like that do that to me.

When I got pregnant, my skin was amazing. No breakouts and bright and clear. Even the post acne marks went away. I had heard that it can get better or much worse during pregnancy and I was terrified. How can it get any worse than what I had? (Of course, I don't have terrible skin, but we all think it's much worse than it is)

Then about a month or so after my son was born, the breakouts starting coming back and the discoloration as well.

I've purchased one or two different over the counter systems, but they have dried out my skin terribly. The dryness lasts for about 2 weeks!

ProActiv was the only thing that had worked for me. Gentle and didnt dry me out. But like I said, I can't use it anymore..it just doesn't seem to work!

So basically my skin is very picky.
Gets dried out very quickly and I have combination dry/oily skin.

I'm on the YAZ birth control now, and it seems to be working pretty well on my skin. I get occasional pimples...at most 2-3 at a time and that's a rarity. Before it was between 6 and 10.

My problem is the post-acne scarring (red or pinkish in color) and marks that almost look like scars from chicken pocks. Pock marks i guess? Those have no discoloration but on my left cheek under the cheek bone they are very pronounced. They almost make that side of my face look sunken in because there are so many.

I don't mind the occasional pimple or two, it's much better than what it used to be.

But my question is what can a dermatologist do to help me out.
If I wanted to get a professionally done chemical peel would they direct me to a person?
Are there things they prescribe?

I hate wearing as much makeup as I do. Sometimes is makes my skin look orange if it gets a little dry from it (i used mineral makeup) or it makes the red marks looks gray or very light purple.

I'm a natural kind of girl...simple...wash n go hair, no makeup...that kinda stuff and I just want to walk outside and not see my pores enlarged and all these red spots on my face.

Can someone help me out? Please?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I go to a Derm as a last resort --a) they don't always have the answers and b) when they do in my case it has always meant spending a lot of money. In between, they can prescribe medication either to stop the pimples or topical to dry them out.

You can go to a skin clinic where they may give you a free assessment and suggest procedures such as light therapy, laser scar removal, chemical peels, microabrasion, etc.

My skin is very pale too and finding makeup to look natural and cover up scars is difficult.

After applying SPF, serums, moisturizer I usually dab a tiny bit of concealer on the marks I'm trying to cover. I was recently given a sample of Smashbox "photo finish light -- foundation primer" This stuff really helps out making your skin look almost poreless -- and adds no weight to your makeup.

Then I brush on a light mineral makeup plus brusher -- use a complexion brush to take off the excess. There -- I spend the last 30 minutes and now I look like I don't have any makeup on at all (I forgot, I do use eye makeup and lipstick).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gah, that's the thing..I'm a minimalist..haha. So all that seems so harsh..i'd rather just go out.

but i do appreciate the advice!

is a skin clinic different from a derm?
i have an appt on april 14. when i went to set up the appt the lady said i could just go to my reg doctor.
which i thought was kind of weird.
why have an office for a derm if you can go in the same office of your reg doc.

do you apply spf, serums and moisturizer all at the same time?

my problem really is i cant just dab it on little spot.
what i do:
i wash my face with that neutrogena grapefuit cleaner in the shower. when im all dressed and stuff i use Nutritioniste: Daily Regenerating Moisture Skin Renew Lotion and dab on some liquid concealer. after that i use the little brush from the bare minerals kit and dab some "organic wear" loose powder over those same spots. then use the reg blush type brush from bare minerals and use that same loose powder. its ok looking. but the scarring looks purple and my pores are noticeable. i put the rest of my makeup on. a lil blush eye liner..etc. ugh. i just hate doing so much to my skin.

ive heard of that smashbox stuff you are talking about and would absolutely LOVE to try it but i dont have the funds

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
is a skin clinic different from a derm?

It can depend on where you live. A skin clinic near where I live is run by a plastic surgeon -- here you can have many procedures -- from laser & light treatments to Botox and full face lifts. Ŧhe Derm I went to did minor stuff such as skin tag removal, analysis of my skin and if needed prescribed medications

why have an office for a derm if you can go in the same office of your reg doc.

Perhaps this suggestion was made to save you money -- or possibly for an assessment from your doc.

do you apply spf, serums and moisturizer all at the same time?

Basically yes. I use Vit C serum first (however if my moisturizer or makeup doesn t have a SPF value) I will then put a sunscreen on first. Any spots or pigmentation I use a concealer, then the pore minimizer,then mineral makeup, etc.

my problem really is i cant just dab it on little spot.If necessary I dab acne medication just on a spot -- is that what you are referring to

ive heard of that smashbox stuff you are talking about and would absolutely LOVE to try it but i dont have the funds
I received a sample of the smashbox foundation primer -- however I note that it sells here for about $36 which should last a few months. If you have a good cosmetic store, see if there are any other similar products available that are cheaper. Good luck.

·
Administrator
33,799 Posts
baileyk- How long have you had the acne scarring? Months? Years? Normally the scarring can fade over a period of time. One thing that is a MUST, is sunscreen. If you already have scarring, and you don't wear sunscreen guess what........your scarring will only get darker.

Also, if you are taking YAZ, that just might be what you need to control the outbreaks. Stick with it, if its working. All the antibiotic's and such that they would perscribe for you do more harm than good, in my opinion. I battled acne for more than 15 years. It isn't a fun process to go through. Maybe see if your Dr would prescribe a topical like Differin or Clindamycin. Not to use all the time, but when you do have those break-outs. Your general Dr should be able to help you with that, doesn't have to be a Derm.

I personally am not a fan of the proactiv, as its active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide, which can cause more damage. Maybe this will help you understand better what I mean about benzoyl peroxide.

Smart Skin Care: Acne and skin aging

Best of luck to you-

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by MawaY

You should try an acne treatment by a company called Valence Detox Slimming Anti-aging (you can find them online). I tried their acne system and was amazed. My acne went away within a couple of weeks and their products even helped tone my skin and eliminate even the worst acne scars.

The thing that attracted me to their acne system was the ingredients. They did not have any damaging ingredients like benzol peroxide in it and instead used ingredients that helped purify the skin. The set only set me back $9.99 and I basically clear my skin within a couple weeks.

Why are you promoting this Valence Beauty Roller for everything from eye bags to acne to upper lip lines? What specifically does it do and what is it?

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,799 Posts
Straight off the web about this amazing product Maway is trying to promote. This is what I found when I searched for the buisness name. Hmmmm?

*Your Business Listing is unconfirmed. To start promoting your business online, please check your email to confirm your registration with MerchantCircle. If you did not receive this confirmation email, click here to resend.

This Business Listing is pending confirmation. Please check back soon for the latest promotions and offers from Valence Detox Slimming Anti-aging.*

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
vlns-spa.com/

theres the site.

it looks like an actual place with their own product.
when i googled, i saw a bunch of "launch events" coming up.

so eh, i dont know.

i dont buy into that mumbo jumbo anyway.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Try an all natural approach. A company called Osea. The Osea Essential Corrective Complex, a super potent essential oil blend of Jojoba, Macadamia, and Sesame, Essential Oils of Tea Tree, Rosemary, Lavender, White Thyme, Grapefruit, Juniper, and Cypress, and Vitamin E. An absorbent acne treatment to rapidly heal blemishes, reduce oil build-up and calm sebaceous glands. Hey for $28, Id give it a go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Here's a few things you can do at home,

Apply vitamin E oil directly on the healing tissue two or three times a day. Vitamin E is used to help the skin regenerate, and the gentle massage that you do will help the tissue grow smoothly. You can even use Vitamin E capsules. Break the capsule and smear the oil of these capsule in the area which has scars. - Aloe vera paste can be combined with the oil of vitamin E capsules to remove the scars effectively

Massage scars with water and little baking soda to gently shed off the dead issue on the top layer of the skin. Massage the scar with baking soda for atleaset one minute, twice daily. Rinse with warm water and apply some olive oil to revitalize the tissue.

Apply lemon juice on the area where scars are present. Otherwise you can also trying rubbing lemon on the affected skin areas, by cutting the lemon into two halves. The citric quality of lemon helps in not only cleansing the pores but also removing the scars.

Fenugreek seeds are also useful in scar removal treatments in a herbal manner. Take fenugreek seeds and dissolve them in a glass of water. Let it boil for about 5 minutes or so. Then let the solution cool and wash the affected area of scar with this solution. Washing the face with fenugreek water solution can also work wonders to add glow to your face.

Mash a ripe banana and apply the resultant paste on the scar. Leave it on for ten minutes and then was the skin with cold water. You will be able to remove scars naturally this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts