Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I decided to try something new by dissolving Vit C in some green tea I had made. Later I remembered that I thought Kassy may have made a post about those two not going together.

I googled green tea in vitamin C serum, and up popped several commericial formulas containing those ingredients. Ofcourse the formulas were using the actual green tea extract though.

Does anyone know WHY vit C shouldn't be dissolved into green tea? A scientific link would be helpful.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
This question has already been debated ad nauseam here I'm afraid. Maybe Kassy can give the correct answer here, but there was something to do with possible metallic elements in the green tea reacting with the Vit C in much the same way as copper peptides do with vit C.

We couldn't find any concrete scientific studies, but a formulator that Kassy contacted advised against combining the two in the same product. Now that is not scientific, and lots of ready-made products do contain the two, but also there are companies that advise that it's "OK" to use a vitamin C serum that has turned dark, which we understand means it is oxidized and no longer effective. So caveat emptor. I guess it's a personal decision what to believe. This matter was never settled here and just led to a lot of bad feelings with some parties, so this is all I am going to say about this.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fawnie. Being relatively new to this forum I wasn't privy to that discussion. Since most people on forums aren't scientists many things fall to unsubstantiated opinion. Maybe Dr. T over on smartskincare will have an educated answer.

Glad I amused you today Mirecka.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I think Fawnie summed it up well. It's like many things that have no exact answer to.
I'm sure with all the supplements and things I ingest in my body and the chemical reactions that are taking place, that not all is having a positive effect on my health. Call it 5 steps forward, 1 step back if you will. That being said, Kassy did bring up an interesting point about using EDTA in a C serum to help with any metal issues. Not only with green tea, but with other botanical extracts as well. Many creams use EDTA as an ingredient and I've seen a couple of C serums with it. I will say that I've been using the green tea extract for many months in my C serum with no problems. I might make some changes though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts