Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here we go yet another thread about Vit. C serum but I get so confused going over the other threads. In Kassy's recipe there is SKB I think that has something to do with sea kelp but is it powder or liquid?? I guess in one thread what I would like to know is ( in US not metric ) what do you use, how much, next to the ingredient where to buy it the cheapest.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The SKB from skinactives.com is a gel like substance.
You can also buy it here 100% Sea Kelp Bioferment for Do It Yourself Anti-Aging Skin Care Junkies - Due to popular demand, for Do It Yourself Anti-Aging Skin Care junk... - NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger

As far as Kassy's recipe, it's pretty straightforward as to what and how much to use.

http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...09-recipe.html

Ferulic acid....skinactives.com
L-Ascorbic acid.....lotioncrafter.com

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peri so much! I need it all in one area so I can refer back to it. I just really I guess need to know where everyone is getting their ingredients. Links would be great just as you have done. I have ordered from NCN before.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Oh me too, find it intimidating to mix my own, feel like mad professor, don't want to muck it up.
Love the thread subject heading.!!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Oh me too, find it intimidating to mix my own, feel like mad professor, don't want to muck it up.
Love the thread subject heading.!!
Go for it. It's actually pretty empowering making up your own serum. Not to mention the savings.$$$$$$$ I dont make Kassy's serum anymore but I made it once and it is hard to muck up.

·
Administrator
33,735 Posts
It really is easier than what you think. I was nervous the first couple of times, then after a few batches, no problem at all. It is worth all the money you will save not having to buy from skinceuticals, cellex-c, etc.

Oh and as far as the recipe being in US, metric, etc, you can always go to
http://www.worldwidemetric.com/metcal.htm

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just wanted to follow up with LAA. I was using the NOW version which I was able to get to dissolve what I thought was pretty easily. The lotioncrafters version is 100 times better. Poof it's dissolved. No going back here!!! Just to help some of the newbies out. Spend the money. I got 4 oz for $17-18 and it will last a long time. It's worth the shipping and ordering. I was a newbie DIY not too long ago and everyone was so helpful. It is so worth mixing up your own and it's addicting. Now I'm searching for things I can add to all my products!!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I just wanted to follow up with LAA. I was using the NOW version which I was able to get to dissolve what I thought was pretty easily. The lotioncrafters version is 100 times better. Poof it's dissolved. No going back here!!! Just to help some of the newbies out. Spend the money. I got 4 oz for $17-18 and it will last a long time. It's worth the shipping and ordering. I was a newbie DIY not too long ago and everyone was so helpful. It is so worth mixing up your own and it's addicting. Now I'm searching for things I can add to all my products!!
Yes the lotioncrafter C is worth it.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHEW! I did that a couple of hours ago right before you posted Oranges. Got it from Lotion Crafters 4oz! Can't wait to start brewing my own.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I found these C serums recipes on a makemeheal.com forum. Thought they might appeal to those of you who like to keep things simple.

__________________________________________________ _______________

I would like to share my DIY facial crystal mix. I mix Vitamin C powder with baking soda and use that to give myself home micro-derm abrasion. Mixing the soda with the C makes it FIZZ and FUZZ up. It STINGS and it induces some peeling later on.

I Don't use the Vitamin C serum myself because I just add some water with a pinch of VC powder instead. The patent for the Vitamin C serum actually has to do with stabilizing it in a brown bottle.

Won't give all my secret recipes here but above is pretty good one for starters.
I used to do some consulting for the cosmetic industry with regard to formulating things.
__________________________________________________ ______________

C Serum
I just read something interesting on how to make a 10% Vit C serum (recommended percentage for most effective affect on skin). The 10% is higher than most people start out using, so if you make this go easy with it to see how your skin reacts. I have not tried it yet, but I think I will make it this weekend:

1/2 tsp L ascorbic acid (to every)
4 tsp of KY Ultra (yes, that's right) personal lubricant, but not the type with Aloe or anything else in it.

This makes a 10% solution of VitC serum. It is not anhydrous, but should last a while. The KY Ultra contains water, glycerine, thickeners, emulsifiers, preservatives and VitE.

This is DCNGA's Recipe
¾ Tsp of L-Ascorbic Acid
1/8 Tsp of Vitamin C Liquid (oil soluable VitC-Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate)
1 oz Monistat Gel Powder

I'd add some Vit E from a gel cap to the last one if I made it. Lucy

·
Registered
115 Posts
No idea Fawnie.

These aren't MY recipes. I just copied them off the DIY forum on makemeheal.com. Thought they might be of interest to those who prefer "fewer ingredients the better".

I might try the baking soda one just for fun.

I definetly want to try some formulations with the K-Y and Monistat powder gels - haven't decided on which actives I want to use yet.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok I have all my ingredients now and will probably be back with questions but my first question is it ok to refrigerate the Ferulic Acid and L-ascorbic acid? My ferulic is in powder form is that how it normally comes or did I need a liquid? See that is why I call it Vit C for dummies

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is it suppose to be a little thin? Or thick? Mine is a bit thin

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just tested a drop on the back of my hand. Wow that felt nice. Soaked in the skin almost immediately. Think I am going to like this one. I used the one Kassy last posted with the Jojoba oil NO HA. How long does a batch last. Doesn't look like much. If I use it daily looks like it should last at least 3-4 days?

·
Registered
475 Posts
My batch lasts a couple weeks. I havne't made the one with Jojoba oil yet. Next. The one I made is thin and runny, a bit sticky to apply but my skin is looking so incredible because of it.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put mine in the fridge I hope it ok to do that. I thought it would help keep it fresh and maybe thicken it a bit which I think it did but I hope it doesn't too much!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts