Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Just tested a drop on the back of my hand. Wow that felt nice. Soaked in the skin almost immediately. Think I am going to like this one. I used the one Kassy last posted with the Jojoba oil NO HA. How long does a batch last. Doesn't look like much. If I use it daily looks like it should last at least 3-4 days?
Only last 3-4 days? If you used Kassys exact recipe, it should last much longer than that. YMMV
Dont put the Ferulic acid (powder) or vitamin C powder in the fridge. They dont like the moisture and it's not needed. Keep away from light and exessive heat.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Did I read that you have to take a break from it too? you apply it for 5 days and take 2 days off? I'm not sure 'cause when I read this I wasn't into this, but now I'm giving a try!
and how do you know you have a 10% concentration?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Did I read that you have to take a break from it too? you apply it for 5 days and take 2 days off? I'm not sure 'cause when I read this I wasn't into this, but now I'm giving a try!
and how do you know you have a 10% concentration?
You could take those couple of days off if you'd like but nothing I've read say's it's necessary.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks Peri. I was taking a wild guess as to how long it would last. It does appear when I tested it on my hand a little will go a long way. Thanks for letting me know not to store my items in the fridge, but I assume the finished product would be ok in the fridge.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Thanks Peri. I was taking a wild guess as to how long it would last. It does appear when I tested it on my hand a little will go a long way. Thanks for letting me know not to store my items in the fridge, but I assume the finished product would be ok in the fridge.
Yes finished product for the fridge

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was concerned with the jojoba and vit E that the serum would be oily but it isn't not at all. It really sinks in quick with no oil residue at all.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just curious, is there an ingredient to add to the serum to make it thicker without compromising the potency? So far I really love this stuff. So glad I finally took the plunge and tried it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I just made the serum with jojoba oil yesterday so this morning I will try it. I used 1/2 tsp jojoba and 1/2 tsp macadamia nut oil from OvertheHills great analysis.

I was wondering how you know if the ferulic is dissolved? Mine turns into a milky solution almost immediatly but I was reading some of my other notes and it said it may take 30 minutes to dissolve.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I was wondering how you know if the ferulic is dissolved? Mine turns into a milky solution almost immediatly but I was reading some of my other notes and it said it may take 30 minutes to dissolve.
Oranges, I heat my propylene glycol over a tealight in a shotglass then add the ferulic to dissolve it. I still have to stir it and wait a while then stir it again. Kassy says that vodka will dissolve it too.

Here's a solubility chart that I think is useful:

BulkActives' skin actives solubility chart

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you use the vodka, it dissolves immediately.. Don't expect it to look like water, it is not supposed to.. It looks quite like milk, but a bit thicker.

It's the L-AA that can take 30 minutes to dissolve, depending where you buy it.

I've also heard that xanthan gum is a good thickener.. Just keep in mind though, that a 'serum' does the best job of penetrating when it is thin.. The thinner the better for treatment serums IMHO.

It's so nice to see so many members hopping on the DIY band wagon..

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
ok then I will keep it as is. I often lose some of it since it is so thin. I try to just do a drop on my finger tip but it sometimes runs off.

·
Registered
353 Posts
It must be the Peppar Absolut I used then Kat! My ferulic just would not dissolve in it. So I switched to propylene glycol, but still have to heat it to get it dissolved. I'm using the Skinactives ferulic, what are you using, Kat??
I have the regular Absolut in the house now, and that just barely touches it and it's dissolved immediately.. I also get the FA at SAS..

Not quite sure why you are having trouble with it.. Could you share the exact recipe you are making? Maybe another ingredient is reacting, or you are using too much FA. (Should be 1/4 tsp to 1oz fluid volume for the Skinactives FA)

21 - 40 of 86 Posts