Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I hope I am not addressing something that has been discussed over and over again. I just made my own vit c serum with 1/2 teaspoon of asorbic acid, teaspoon of glycerin and teaspoon of distilled water. I have only been using it for three days and I only use it at night, in the morning i mixed up some skb, ferulic and vitamin e oil and apply that. I have also been using arbutin mixed with lotion in the mornings. This morning I noticed I have two lines coming off of the sides of my mouth that were never there before, they are very noticeable to me. Any suggestions? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, I got my asorbic acid from skinactives and it just does not seem right. I have never made it before, I have only used skinceutials so I am not sure. but it is definetely not dissolving. I even let it sit with water and kept stirring for over an hour and it still is not what I consider would be dissolved. Bare with me, I am a newbie plus blonde and polish

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tarra,

A few weeks ago I noticed new lines forming under my eyes I thought might be due to my current batch of DIY C serum. I stopped using it, gave my undereyes a break for a few days with extra moisturizing. Then I started using a different DIY formula that so far isn't producing the lines. I think the one formula may have been too strong and was drying out my undereye skin producing the extra lines. Perhaps the ratio of C to water you are using is too strong for parts of your skin? You could try diluting it further and see what happens. Just a thought.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's the same thought I had, LLucy.
In addition, if glycerin is not diluted a LOT it will suck the moisture right out of your skin rather than attract it to the skin. Your recipe has way too much glycerin.

Why not stick to one of the tried and true recipes? Or at least use a nice oil like rosehip seed instead of the glycerin and less ascorbic acid.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, you guys are great. Thank you so much. I am going to attempt to make Kassy's C+E ferulic serum this evening, wish me luck. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
That's the same thought I had, LLucy.
In addition, if glycerin is not diluted a LOT it will suck the moisture right out of your skin rather than attract it to the skin. Your recipe has way too much glycerin.

Why not stick to one of the tried and true recipes? Or at least use a nice oil like rosehip seed instead of the glycerin and less ascorbic acid.
That concentration of ascorbic acid is about 20% (2.5g/12.5ml) - yikes! That's hardly a starter concentration. Drop it down to 15% or so.

·
Administrator
33,802 Posts
Wow, you guys are great. Thank you so much. I am going to attempt to make Kassy's C+E ferulic serum this evening, wish me luck. I will let you know what happens. Thanks again
Best of luck Tarra with your Vit C batch. I hope your C finally dissolved. I got my LAA from makingcosmetics and it is the ultra fine powder. I would recommend trying the ultra fine next time. Use what you have first. There are a few places that carry the ultra fine. Just shop around for the best price.

But best of luck with it, and keep us posted on the outcome-

·
Registered
115 Posts
When starting out in DIY the temptation is great that if something is good, more is better. Not so, not so. I can't tell you how many "******* sink" concoctions I've had to throw out because I got carried away adding this, then that, until all I really had was one big yucky mess. I'm FINALLY trying to embrace the concept "less is more", but sometimes it's still a struggle when I start thinking, "Hmm, I wonder how it would work if I put _____this in?"

I'm not big on measuring precisely either which doesn't help. I thought the amount of C in that formula seemed high, but wasn't sure. Good job on doing the math on that one Gymrat. I'm sure now that was the problem with my own serum - it was probably 20% (or more?) and my skin was saying, "Stop! Stop! You're hurting me!"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, sorry, one more question if anyone gets the time. I read that if you take a shower before applying the vit c serum your skin is more permeable, what about steaming? Does this also make it more permeable?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would think so Tarra, but you also need to be careful when steaming your face because it's easy to over-do and burn your skin.

Others are more knowledgable on this subject than I, so I hope they will chime in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, I got my asorbic acid from skinactives and it just does not seem right. I have never made it before, I have only used skinceutials so I am not sure. but it is definetely not dissolving. I even let it sit with water and kept stirring for over an hour and it still is not what I consider would be dissolved. Bare with me, I am a newbie plus blonde and polish
usually Polish people are smart

·
Administrator
33,802 Posts
Polish, meaning from Poland. Kind of like Dutch, from Holland. Or Swiss from Switzerland-

·
Administrator
33,802 Posts
I am not sure, in her first post she said "Bare with me, I am a newbie plus blonde and polish". So I am assuming this person (ufrasanki) is Polish as well. Not really sure-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I am not sure, in her first post she said "Bare with me, I am a newbie plus blonde and polish". So I am assuming this person (ufrasanki) is Polish as well. Not really sure-
Nothing like promoting a negative (false) stereo-type! (I am part-Polish myself).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just like to make light of being polish, with a maiden name of Kowalski, you have to. I get hear all kinds of jokes.

·
Administrator
33,802 Posts
I just like to make light of being polish, with a maiden name of Kowalski, you have to. I get hear all kinds of jokes.
I figured as much-I understood what you were saying-

I am married to a 100% Dutchman and I have a VERY Dutch lastname. But coming from a VERY Italian maiden name, made it ok.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts