Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want that "this is working" tingling! Can anyone help me tool this recipe?

1/4 t l-ascorbic acid dissolved in 1 t water, add 1 t veg. glycerin.

Can I up the l-ascorbic acid? If so, by how much? Or should I decrease the water or the veg. glycerin?

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Followup question:

If I decide to make my serum daily, and only use L-ascorbic acid and water, how do I apply it? A cotton ball?

Is the "base agent" (glycerin, oil, whatever) necessary for skin penetration?

Thank you for your patience with a newbie!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Fawnie.

Question - that recipe has a lot of gel. Can I just make it with l-ascorbic acid and water, and make it every day? Kind of treat it like an astringent? Or is gel necessary?

I'm finding the "base" ingredient sort of heavy, as it's a little humid here.

Is the base necessary?

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Question - that recipe has a lot of gel. Can I just make it with l-ascorbic acid and water, and make it every day? Kind of treat it like an astringent? Or is gel necessary?

I'm finding the "base" ingredient sort of heavy, as it's a little humid here.

Is the base necessary?

Thank you for any help![/QUOTE]

Yes, you can make C serum with just water like an astrigent. The gel, glycerin and such is to give the serum "slip". The gel may also have preservatives in it.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You would have to use enough of whatever you substitute for the gel to fill the 10 ml cup or the % would be too high. Anything over 20% is wasted as the skin can only absorb so much.

Let us know how it works for you!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! I'm going with Fawnie's 14% recipe, and it feels right. I'll move up towards 20 if I get too used to it.

One more question, if anyone sees this - I have it in my head that by using water only, I can't keep my vit. c serum - that is, each time, I need a fresh batch. Is that true? Or will it keep 12-24 hours at least, in the fridge?

Thanks again, ladies, for all the help.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Thank you all! I'm going with Fawnie's 14% recipe, and it feels right. I'll move up towards 20 if I get too used to it.

One more question, if anyone sees this - I have it in my head that by using water only, I can't keep my vit. c serum - that is, each time, I need a fresh batch. Is that true? Or will it keep 12-24 hours at least, in the fridge?

Thanks again, ladies, for all the help.
L-ascorbic acid becomes unstable the minute it hits water. You must use it immediately or add a stablilizer. Vit E preserves it somewhat. That's why such a small batch is in the recipe.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts