Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Please could you give me some advice, I am going to make vit c serum, Kassy's recipe 15% vit c, e and fa with jojoba but I haven't got any Sea kelp bioferment - will this make a difference? will it work the same without the SKB?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I just put less L-ascorbic acid in it? or is there another recipe without SKB? as I ordered my stuff from bulkactives and they didn't have SKB and the other suppliers either don't ship to France (where I live) or it is very expensive. Any ideas? thanks very much, am loving the site by the way!!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Fawnie do you think Aloe Vera Gel would work instead? I mean SKB looks like AV gel to me.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Aloe Vera Gel certainly has the right consistency, and most have emulsifiers which are needed to get the oil and water phases to mix... By golly, go for it... You have nothing to lose but about .25

The only thing to look out for (on the ingredient list), which could interfere with your serum, would be an alkaline pH adjuster (ex; sodium lactate), or something containg metals (ex; cp's or green tea).... The latter is not a problem though, if "disodium EDTA" is also in the list!

Oh the subject of SKB, I'm looking for an alternative to use, because I can't stand the tell tale film it leaves on the skin.. (hint; it can be sloughed off with a dry cloth once your serum has been on 15 minutes or so.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Aloe Vera Gel certainly has the right consistency, and most have emulsifiers which are needed to get the oil and water phases to mix... By golly, go for it... You have nothing to lose but about .25

The only thing to look out for (on the ingredient list), which could interfere with your serum, would be an alkaline pH adjuster (ex; sodium lactate), or something containg metals (ex; cp's or green tea).... The latter is not a problem though, if "disodium EDTA" is also in the list!

Oh the subject of SKB, I'm looking for an alternative to use, because I can't stand the tell tale film it leaves on the skin.. (hint; it can be sloughed off with a dry cloth once your serum has been on 15 minutes or so.)
Kassy, which AHA/Retinol do you use. I was on Herbarie website and they have AHA PhytoFruit Mix. Is it any good and how do you use it. What Retinol strength one shuold start with? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, will get some aloe vera gel and give that a try and let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Kassy, which AHA/Retinol do you use. I was on Herbarie website and they have AHA PhytoFruit Mix. Is it any good and how do you use it. What Retinol strength one shuold start with? Thanks
I make my own DIY serum which is 1% Retinyl Palmitate and 10% Lactic Acid. I'll be happy to share the recipe if anyone wants it.

If you are buying a product, look for 1% RP and 10% (or more) of AHA. The base also needs to support quite a low pH for it to effectively penetrate.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yes please Kassy share your recipie and also where to buy the cheapest ones. Can I use the Phytofruit mix from Herbarie? Where do you get RP from. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here ya go;

Kassy's 1% Retinol & 10% Lactic Acid Serum, 1oz

- .3 ml Retinyl Palmitate (1%)
- 3 ml Lactic Acid (yields 10%.. use less if your sensitive.)
- 1.2 ml sodium PCA (approx 4% + very moisturizing.)
- 1.5 ml Algae Extract (5%)
- 1 tsp ready to use Hyaluronic Acid Serum (I use the one from NCN)
- 1/2 tsp Citric Acid (10% - Add a few drops of H20 to this to dissolve, then add to the Aloe.
- 1 tsp Macadamia Nut Oil
- 2 tsp Aloe Vera Gel
- 1 tsp of CeraVe Lotion (trust me on this, it's the perfect thing to include in *most* DIY formulas!)
- 2 or 3 drops Optiphen (yeilds .5% .. or just use preservative of your choice) Not too much though, because the aloe and cerave have preservatives already.

Retinol is oil soluble, so add that to the Macadamia, then one by one just stir in the remaining ingredients starting with the CeraVe which will emulsify everything beautifully..

This makes the perfect night serum to alternate with Retin-A every other night! For anyone who decides to make this, please keep in mind that ALL the ingredients serve a specific purpose, so *tweaking* is at your own risk...
No need to refrigerate, but do keep from the light and in a cool dark place... I use a dark amber pump bottle which keeps it from degradation issues. (You will definitely want to refrigerate your bottle of Retinyl Palmitate though.)

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
First Kassy thanks so much for sharing. Where did you find the amber pump bottle? Where did you get the Algae Extract?

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
i think i must be totally dumb but as soon as i see a huge list of wonderful ingredients i get visual dyslexia!! i think its the sourcing that i have issue with and the traumas of my post box not being listed anywhere!!

·
Registered
353 Posts
First Kassy thanks so much for sharing. Where did you find the amber pump bottle? Where did you get the Algae Extract?
You can get the 'algae' extract most anywhere, I picked up my latest one from TPF;

The Personal Formulator

I have several 1oz pump bottles from my "Cellbone" purchasing days... Glad I saved them, because I haven't been able to find them lately.. Luckily they are glass, so I can sterilize them easily. The dark blue dropper bottles at TPF are nice too, but for very perishable formulas I really prefer the pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oh Angelhair i share the same sympathy with you...

where in the U.K. can i purchased that listed ingeredients? dont tell me another custom tax again in line if i purchased it outside the U.K.

Thanks for the recipe Kassy.. i'm tempted to give it a go.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
You can find glass pump bottles at SkS Bottles.

You can order the amber or cobalt bottles separately and then get the pump. If there are several folks wanting these, you could do a coop.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts