Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some of that stuff from a Haitian(spelling?) shop a couple years ago(more or less). The guy told me it's $40 but he'd give it to me for $36.

Anywho, I bought it because it's a giant tub of cream. When I opened it, it burned my nose soooooo bad. Listening to his stories of it, I went against my better judgement, for a few days, and used it anyway.

Then, I found it on guesso . com for like $9 and something for that same
500ml. The guy looked, act, and seemed super-shady anyway.

That stuff smells like a strong poison and I wanted to give my take on it. I didn't finish it. I threw it out and took it as a lesson to follow my instinct/s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
$36 was definitely wayyyyyy too much to pay for them and if the guy charged you that much he is shady and I wouldnt put it past him to sell you an outdated cream. you might have received one that was expired because mine actually smells pretty good. It can be strong at times keep in mind that we are dealing with chemicals when you want to lighten skin, but it doesnt smell bad. My boyfriend actually comments that I smell good after I lotion....

·
Registered
395 Posts
cuteashell ive noticed you posted the same post about your vitc cream about 4 times - kind note we only need to see it once thanks.

Anyway i think the majority of people know how i feel about expensive (or cheap) cosmetic creams that claim to work wonders.

Each to their own.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I agree with ninasky on this one. What price often reflects is what an individual or company believes that they can con people into paying for something. Some of the costliest creams serve only to provide pretentious people with 'bragging rights' over how much they spent. The same is true for claims of exotic or esoteric sounding ingredients. Just because something comes from yak placentas or some allegedly rare melon, what the heck does that have to do with your skin? Probably nothing!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it was out of date if it had a date on it. I tend to read labels of what I use. Labels, boxes, packaging, etc. gets read.

But, hey, grown ups can use what they want (to an extent, obviously).

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Sounds like this stuff is crap! I checked it out (posted a link to it) & the ingredients list is iffy at best. The stuff is from the Ivory Coast & many of the African creams are the adulterated & unsafe ones. I'm glad you discontinued using it before it did real damage!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Vit Fee, peau lisse, hypprogel, Edgard, peau claire, bio claire...they are all made in Ivory Coast, not by Africans, but by people who know that they could not make these lotion else where and not being sued for selling poison...
Africa has some great products: shea butter, black soap...

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with ninasky on this one. What price often reflects is what an individual or company believes that they can con people into paying for something. Some of the costliest creams serve only to provide pretentious people with 'bragging rights' over how much they spent. The same is true for claims of exotic or esoteric sounding ingredients. Just because something comes from yak placentas or some allegedly rare melon, what the heck does that have to do with your skin? Probably nothing!
I actually agree with you on that one. I used to pay about $90 for a lotion off fairandflawlessskin website and use it for my hands and feet and now that Im a little low on money, I just used my regular lotion mix and it works exactly the same.

New York, I wouldnt suggest using Edguard, I tried that crap and it made my skin really dry....anyways it wasnt what I wanted at all...Ive heard bad things about bio claire as well......I'll admit, I didnt really care much to do the research when I first started using my vit-fee and civic mix, just wanted something that would work. The older I got and more info I received on HQ, I decided to loo it up. I still wasnt able to find much on the web about people giving it a bad review or any of its horrible ingredients as claimed by ondine....all I know is that it worked for me and has been for 6yrs now. From reading these posts, I realize people are just talking in circles and not really getting anywhere so I decided to share. I have no intentions of selling anything. I only know one physical store that sells it in Atlanta and just recently found it online......

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That is part of what appeals to me about this forum. People are less likely to repeat mindless gossip & try to pass it off as knowledge. As for talking in circles, perhaps reading sometimes new people arrive & info needs to be repeated. To avoid this, I've begun referring them to threads where their question is addressed or I pm them. Some circular discussion is inevitable, though, but we are learning a lot from eachother.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anyway i think the majority of people know how i feel about expensive (or cheap) cosmetic creams that claim to work wonders.

Each to their own.
I agree. I've never actually tried commercial products, but it's not hard to see that they are overpriced and largely ineffective. Most online cosmetics are utter crap as well, and are usually just scams.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah, i also think once you know what to look for, you'll find some really good products that are reasonably priced.

But general rule for me? No good actives, too much packaging, etc etc...dont like it...

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I am guided by that same rule & I'd also add doing your homework. Research these so-called 'actives'. Some of them are unproven or do not absorb topically or internally. Know what acceptable & effective levels are for these ingredients & be sure to know what are acceptable carriers for them.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I am sorry if i offended you, but it was not my intention, i know a lot of people who used those lotions, and now have issues with there skin. Maybe they did not use it the right way?
How do you use yours, wich one do you use, the lotion, the cream?

I actually agree with you on that one. I used to pay about $90 for a lotion off fairandflawlessskin website and use it for my hands and feet and now that Im a little low on money, I just used my regular lotion mix and it works exactly the same.

New York, I wouldnt suggest using Edguard, I tried that crap and it made my skin really dry....anyways it wasnt what I wanted at all...Ive heard bad things about bio claire as well......I'll admit, I didnt really care much to do the research when I first started using my vit-fee and civic mix, just wanted something that would work. The older I got and more info I received on HQ, I decided to loo it up. I still wasnt able to find much on the web about people giving it a bad review or any of its horrible ingredients as claimed by ondine....all I know is that it worked for me and has been for 6yrs now. From reading these posts, I realize people are just talking in circles and not really getting anywhere so I decided to share. I have no intentions of selling anything. I only know one physical store that sells it in Atlanta and just recently found it online......

·
Registered
81 Posts
Its okay New York. You didnt offend me at all. I actually use the cream because creams tend to be a lot thicker than lotions, which could be favorable to people who choose to lighten their skin. I dont use it alone though, I mix half of it with Civic Lotion and half of the civic cream in a tube. It usually lasts up to 3months and then the remainder (which is half of everything I just mentioned will take another 3mos to run out). Altogether, that costs me $12+$12+$4=$28. You might be able to find it for cheaper online..these are the prices I get them for from the store in Atlanta..

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Thank you.

Its okay New York. You didnt offend me at all. I actually use the cream because creams tend to be a lot thicker than lotions, which could be favorable to people who choose to lighten their skin. I dont use it alone though, I mix half of it with Civic Lotion and half of the civic cream in a tube. It usually lasts up to 3months and then the remainder (which is half of everything I just mentioned will take another 3mos to run out). Altogether, that costs me $12+$12+$4=$28. You might be able to find it for cheaper online..these are the prices I get them for from the store in Atlanta..

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bumpity BUMP!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts