Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hii everyone!

I did a search and couldn't find anything on a vitamin c lotion. Of course I found tons on vitamin c serums.

Does anyone know if I can add some LAA crystals to a lotion to make a vitamin c lotion or is it much more complicated than that (I would imagine it is).

If anyone has a recipe that would be great...trying to avoid ordering Isis' Cosmeceuticals vit c lotion that will prob oxidize before it gets here...thank you!!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awww thanks anyway Fawnie...I wonder what the heck the Isis people do to make theirs!

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredients: L-Ascorbic Acid 25% (pure vitamin-c), Ferulic acid (food grade anti-oxidant), Dimethyl Isosorbide (penetration enhancer), Sodium Sulfite (food grade anti-oxidant)

Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera Gel (organic, food grade), Stearic Acid (natural thickener), Emulsifying Wax, JoJoba Oil, Vitamin E Oil (anti-oxidant)

Could make a knock off pretty easily.

·
Registered
753 Posts
INGREDIENTS: Active Ingredients: L-Ascorbic Acid 25% (pure vitamin-c), Ferulic acid (food grade anti-oxidant), Dimethyl Isosorbide (penetration enhancer), Sodium Sulfite (food grade anti-oxidant)

Inactive Ingredients: Aloe Vera Gel (organic, food grade), Stearic Acid (natural thickener), Emulsifying Wax, JoJoba Oil, Vitamin E Oil (anti-oxidant)

Could make a knock off pretty easily.
Is this a specific brand or your creation?

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
No not mine, Isis' Cosmeceuticals . They practically give a person the entire recipe to make a knock off of it though.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I think we determined that DMI inactives/competes with ferulic acid didnt we?

And since teh SkinCeuticals research was done with a 15% LAA/ferulic acid/E solution it does seem like overkill to use 25%, if not downright harmful. Anything less than 10% isnt effective tho.

Im a little concerned about Ewax in there too. Might it retard absorption of the LAA? And what is the pH of this product?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've got a Vit C lotion that is made by Merle Norman but its a sample & they don't put ingredients on their samples. I really like the lotion though. I've been using their Vit C face wash, toner, moisturizer & serum. Might be a little bit of overkill but it's all samples so I'm just trying to use them all up.

·
Banned
3,558 Posts
Agree with Fawnie's points....the lotion looks like a basic knock off in and of itself to begin with. 25% is overkill, studies showed No increase in LAA concentration in cells over 20%. LAA is still effective as low as 5% and one study showed it had effect at 3%. DMI inactivates FA. And of course...the pH...which would fry my skin is a question.

Still....you could easily make a knock off of it....not that I would personally use it, nor suggest it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey everyone! Thank you SO MUCH for your responses! I forgot to subscribe to this thread and just assumed the lack of email notifications was b/c no one else responded!

Anyway, so you all think it would burn my skin? I've been using 20% on my face and it does sting for the first minute but after that, it's okay. My body skin is def tougher than my face skin so I'm sure it could handle 25%.

You all think it's not a good idea to make a knock off though so I'll prob leave it alone...I'll just use my DIY serum on my body instead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I found a youtube video of a woman in her late 50's (she's almost 60!) and she looks fantastic. She shared a recipe of her vit c lotion. It's pretty basic and I am trying it out right now.

All she did was add her DIY vit c serum to her unscented body lotion. I'm not sure about the pH and concentration of the one I made and I will determine it when I make my next batch. Does anyone know where I could find a pH meter? - and what formula from chemistry could I use to determine the final concentration of the product? I was thinking M1V1 = M2V2 is what I remember from general chemistry

M= molar concentration, V = volume

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hey this is an old post but I wanted to mention that I have tried 15% laa lotion on body and it leaves yellow color traces on underwear and clothes. Really annoying so I stopped and still using religiously my 20% lactic acid lotion which leaves skin baby soft without color traces

·
Administrator
33,633 Posts
Hey this is an old post but I wanted to mention that I have tried 15% laa lotion on body and it leaves yellow color traces on underwear and clothes. Really annoying so I stopped and still using religiously my 20% lactic acid lotion which leaves skin baby soft without color traces
I think you meant to say your Vit C lotion left traces of color ;) Antmagnn what base are you using for your LAA lotion??

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think you meant to say your Vit C lotion left traces of color Antmagnn what base are you using for your LAA lotion??
I do not have the recipe with me now but it was the one with msm not ferulic. It is posted here in the recipe section, just double it to use on body

·
Registered
353 Posts
I think MAP is the best vitamin C choice for "lotions/creams". The pH requirement of MAP (6 to 7ish) is pretty much a no-brainer to accomplish in a nice base lotion.. Niacinamide, glutathione, + co-q-10 would (and do), also thrive well in this environment.

For the best stability, (without a lot of headaches), keep the "active" portion below 12% (EX: MAP 3%, niacinamide 5%, glutathione 2%, co-q-10 1%, preservative 1%)

ETA: Gymmie, I LOVE your avatar :) 2665

1 - 20 of 40 Posts