Skin Care Talk banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just added 20g Ascorbyl Palmitate powder to about 400g Cetaphil body cream. Shouldn't this give me a 5% mixture? Can anyone point me towards a good resource for calculating the % of vitamin C in a given carrier lotion?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think MAP is the best vitamin C choice for "lotions/creams". The pH requirement of MAP (6 to 7ish) is pretty much a no-brainer to accomplish in a nice base lotion.. Niacinamide, glutathione, + co-q-10 would (and do), also thrive well in this environment.

For the best stability, (without a lot of headaches), keep the "active" portion below 12% (EX: MAP 3%, niacinamide 5%, glutathione 2%, co-q-10 1%, preservative 1%)

ETA: Gymmie, I LOVE your avatar :) 2665
Pretty sure MAP is water soluble, so it may be best suited for aqueous applications. Ascorbyl palmitate is a fat soluble vitamin C ester, which is cheaper and works great for creams.

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
Pretty sure MAP is water soluble, so it may be best suited for aqueous applications. Ascorbyl palmitate is a fat soluble vitamin C ester, which is cheaper and works great for creams. 
MAP is water soluble but can be a booger to get dissolve. You may have to warm your water just a tad if you are having a difficult time getting it too dissolve.

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
I just added 20g Ascorbyl Palmitate powder to about 400g  Cetaphil body cream. Shouldn't this give me a 5% mixture? Can anyone point me towards a good resource for calculating the % of vitamin C in a given carrier lotion?
The above would give you 5%. Did it dissolve in the Cetaphil?? As for calculating your %, divide your small number into your big number ;) http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm http://www.percentagecalculator.net/

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Hey y"all this Is just to clarify please. Are we saying LAA from lotioncrafter wouldn't be preferable for a Vit C lotion? I have the LAA,vit e,li jojoba oil and niacinamide. Would love a vit Clotion out of this. Pls thank you.

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
I think MAP is the best vitamin C choice for "lotions/creams".  The pH requirement of MAP (6 to 7ish) is pretty much a no-brainer to accomplish in a nice base lotion.. Niacinamide, glutathione, + co-q-10 would (and do), also thrive well in this environment. For the best stability, (without a lot of headaches), keep the "active" portion below 12% (EX: MAP 3%, niacinamide 5%, glutathione 2%, co-q-10 1%, preservative 1%)
Hey y"all this Is just to clarify please. Are we saying LAA from lotioncrafter wouldn't be preferable for a Vit C lotion? I have the LAA,vit e,li jojoba oil and niacinamide. Would love a vit Clotion out of this. Pls thank you.
MAP and AP would work in a lotion nwababy. Read Kassy's post above, she gives a great option. LAA is better used in Vit C serum. Here is more info on MAP (which I use in a serum form during the winter months) http://www.lotioncrafter.com/magnesium-ascorbyl_phosphate-map.html Here is more info on AP http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=784

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ascorbyl palmitate worked like a charm, it added a slight 'fluff' to the cream. Unfortunately I added some resveratrol and green tea extract powders after that and they made the cream clumpy...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi @gymrat, been a long time! How have you been? I've been off the bandwagon for a while but my skin seems to holding up somewhat. I just got The Ordinary vitamin suspension 23% + HA spheres 2% for my face and The Ordinary 100% L-ascorbic acid powder which I'm looking to use on my body. I'm thinking of doing this either in my diy body butter/moisturiser or diy black soap. Can you please help me out? I'll really appreciate!! 🤗🤗🤗

·
Registered
148 Posts
@gymrat I can't really see how to make the DIY vitamin c lotion with L-ascorbic powder. What kind of base cream should I use? Would it be the same format as the DIY LA lotion (which I absolutely love)

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
Hi @gymrat, been a long time! How have you been? I've been off the bandwagon for a while but my skin seems to holding up somewhat. I just got The Ordinary vitamin suspension 23% + HA spheres 2% for my face and The Ordinary 100% L-ascorbic acid powder which I'm looking to use on my body. I'm thinking of doing this either in my diy body butter/moisturiser or diy black soap. Can you please help me out? I'll really appreciate!! 🤗🤗🤗
Hi @glamchick it HAS been awhile!! Great to see you!! There are several different kinds of Vit C, I have use MAP (Magnesium ascorbyl phoshate) which is a different form of Vit C, in a cream, however, if you have LAA, that I wouldn't suggest using in a cream, its much easier to use in a serum. You can use it as a body spray, use it in a spray bottle with distilled water. Just make small batches as it won't last long without a preservative. Or use it with aloe vera.

Hope this helps and happy to see you posting, do you like the new platform?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi @glamchick it HAS been awhile!! Great to see you!! There are several different kinds of Vit C, I have use MAP (Magnesium ascorbyl phoshate) which is a different form of Vit C, in a cream, however, if you have LAA, that I wouldn't suggest using in a cream, its much easier to use in a serum. You can use it as a body spray, use it in a spray bottle with distilled water. Just make small batches as it won't last long without a preservative. Or use it with aloe vera.

Hope this helps and happy to see you posting, do you like the new platform?
Thanks so much, Gymmie! Great to see you too!

1. The body spray idea sounds fabulous too! I don't have access to distilled water at the moment and I've been having anxiety going out in the midst of the pandemic 😩😩 What can i use to substitute for it?

2. Also saw in an old thread about y'all mixing LAA melted in water in emu oil for the whole body! Also another delicious idea. I do have a big bottle of 100% shea nut oil, could that work with it?

3. How do I incorporate the aloe vera juice? Is that instead of the distilled water? I have a bottle of fruit of the earth aloe vera gel if that'd work

4. I'm also confused about measurements to use, the ordinary's LAA comes with a small scoop and I'm looking to make 20% LAA in a 100ml per batch and see how long it lasts. Do you think the LAA would make a difference being used on my body?

5. Gymmie, could you please show me threads to making DIY black soap. I went through a lot of thread and saw helpful suggestions but nothing detailed with measurements

I'm so glad to hear from you and I hope you're keeping safe to with the Hubby, Gymmie 🤗🤗 My mental health took a big hit with the pandemic and I'm trying to keep head above water especially with my big sissy's wedding coming up in a few weeks. I want to more deliberate about my protecting my space and care for myself and my skin.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE NEW PLATFORM!!! I was gonna say! It's so much easier to navigate now and follow a lot of thread without getting lost. I can also read thread at night with the fab dark mode. A beaut.

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
Thanks so much, Gymmie! Great to see you too!

1. The body spray idea sounds fabulous too! I don't have access to distilled water at the moment and I've been having anxiety going out in the midst of the pandemic 😩😩 What can i use to substitute for it?

2. Also saw in an old thread about y'all mixing LAA melted in water in emu oil for the whole body! Also another delicious idea. I do have a big bottle of 100% shea nut oil, could that work with it?

3. How do I incorporate the aloe vera juice? Is that instead of the distilled water? I have a bottle of fruit of the earth aloe vera gel if that'd work

4. I'm also confused about measurements to use, the ordinary's LAA comes with a small scoop and I'm looking to make 20% LAA in a 100ml per batch and see how long it lasts. Do you think the LAA would make a difference being used on my body?

5. Gymmie, could you please show me threads to making DIY black soap. I went through a lot of thread and saw helpful suggestions but nothing detailed with measurements

I'm so glad to hear from you and I hope you're keeping safe to with the Hubby, Gymmie 🤗🤗 My mental health took a big hit with the pandemic and I'm trying to keep head above water especially with my big sissy's wedding coming up in a few weeks. I want to more deliberate about my protecting my space and care for myself and my skin.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE NEW PLATFORM!!! I was gonna say! It's so much easier to navigate now and follow a lot of thread without getting lost. I can also read thread at night with the fab dark mode. A beaut.
I knew you would love the platform, reminds me of our old one that I loved so much! This one will grow on us in due time. Last one was very generic. So I am happy with the upgrade!

If you can't get distilled water use Rose water in its place. The Aloe could be in place of distilled as well. A 100ml would last you a while. I make 30ml for my face and gets me almost 2 weeks.

And what recipe are you talking about with LAA and shea??

As for black soap, I have a great recipe, I need to find it, I saw your post on another thread and I starting digging around for it.......I will find it for you. I will get it and let you know when I find it, will take some time so be patient ;)

I am sorry to hear Covid is causing mental health struggles.........just know you aren't alone with that, I imagine there are lots in your same position. Can you get out and go for walks?? Just for some peace of mind? Where I am nothing stopped, most still went to work, business as usual. Everything is back to normal now. Everything open and school going back in session.

I am happy to hear your sister is getting married maybe that will give you something to look forward too, a happy time to celebrate with your family........we all need that 💕

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
@glamchick ok my friend read through this thread How To Make Liquid Dudu Osun scroll through and read Pink701 posts she's so awesome.......miss those old time members so much. I am going to keep digging because I think she posted an actual recipe for the black soap.......let me keep looking but for now read through the link I gave you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I knew you would love the platform, reminds me of our old one that I loved so much! This one will grow on us in due time. Last one was very generic. So I am happy with the upgrade!

If you can't get distilled water use Rose water in its place. The Aloe could be in place of distilled as well. A 100ml would last you a while. I make 30ml for my face and gets me almost 2 weeks.

And what recipe are you talking about with LAA and shea??

As for black soap, I have a great recipe, I need to find it, I saw your post on another thread and I starting digging around for it.......I will find it for you. I will get it and let you know when I find it, will take some time so be patient ;)

I am sorry to hear Covid is causing mental health struggles.........just know you aren't alone with that, I imagine there are lots in your same position. Can you get out and go for walks?? Just for some peace of mind? Where I am nothing stopped, most still went to work, business as usual. Everything is back to normal now. Everything open and school going back in session.

I am happy to hear your sister is getting married maybe that will give you something to look forward too, a happy time to celebrate with your family........we all need that 💕
I miss the old platform too but still gotta love this one regardless. Same way we moved from physical keys phones to touchscreen, haha! Weird at first but we adjusted

I think I'll be more comfortable with aloe Vera gel as I have dry skin. I'm thinking perhaps i should start small and see how it goes. I'll be using 50ml of aloe gel to 1/4 teaspoon of L-AA powder. I don't know for much percentage of vitamin c that'll be

It was a recipe about Tetra-C dissolved in distilled water and mixed in emu oil and you also give a super easy c recipe in that regard. I can't find that thread, I should go digging again and see

Thanks alot, Gymmie. I've been reaching out more to my friends as my support group and taking walks too. I took sometimes off social media cos all the news gave me anxiety and panic attacks. So glad to hear it's much better for you over there!
I'm in a much better place now, G. My sister's wedding will be bringing my family together and that's all the love I'd like to see right now ❤
Thank you so much

·
Registered
148 Posts
@glamchick ok my friend read through this thread How To Make Liquid Dudu Osun scroll through and read Pink701 posts she's so awesome.......miss those old time members so much. I am going to keep digging because I think she posted an actual recipe for the black soap.......let me keep looking but for now read through the link I gave you.
Thanks so much! I'll go through this one and see how to customise mine. I really miss the old members too! I be going through some old threads sometimes and wish I could ask them for extra info. It was really fun then wistful sigh

·
Administrator
33,642 Posts
I miss the old platform too but still gotta love this one regardless. Same way we moved from physical keys phones to touchscreen, haha! Weird at first but we adjusted

I think I'll be more comfortable with aloe Vera gel as I have dry skin. I'm thinking perhaps i should start small and see how it goes. I'll be using 50ml of aloe gel to 1/4 teaspoon of L-AA powder. I don't know for much percentage of vitamin c that'll be

It was a recipe about Tetra-C dissolved in distilled water and mixed in emu oil and you also give a super easy c recipe in that regard. I can't find that thread, I should go digging again and see

Thanks alot, Gymmie. I've been reaching out more to my friends as my support group and taking walks too. I took sometimes off social media cos all the news gave me anxiety and panic attacks. So glad to hear it's much better for you over there!
I'm in a much better place now, G. My sister's wedding will be bringing my family together and that's all the love I'd like to see right now ❤
Thank you so much
1 tsp is about 20%, so use a half of tsp and have 10% to start. So you would need 90% Aloe and 10% Vit C. If you wanted to add rose water or distilled, use less Aloe.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts