Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm thinking of making some vitamin c serum by crushing vit c capsules using a pill crusher and mixing it with glycerin. I'm not sure what else I could add, so if anyone has any suggestions or how many capsules I should use or amount of glycerine please comment. Also, does vitamin c serum really work for let's say, dark circles or do lighten dark patches a little? Thanks ^_^

·
Administrator
33,772 Posts
The type of Vit C you take as a supplement is not the same Vit C you use to make a face serum. This is the type of Vit C you need to make a serum http://www.lotioncrafter.com/ascorbic-acid-ultrafine.html or http://www.makingcosmetics.com/ingredientsalphabetic-22.html/Actives-Cosmeceuticals/Anti-Acne-Agents/Vitamin-C-L-ascorbic-acid--p188.html or http://www.bulkactives.com/ascorbicacid.htm

·
Registered
213 Posts
gymmie - where do you buy your supplies from these days? I still buy mostly everything I need from lotioncrafter. I do get phloretin from skinactives, hydrosols from Garden of Wisdom and oils from Mountain Rose Herbs thanks to you and everyone else who recommended these folks back in the day. =D But always on the lookout for another great supplier. :D

·
Administrator
33,772 Posts
gymmie - where do you buy your supplies from these days? I still buy mostly everything I need from lotioncrafter. I do get phloretin from skinactives, hydrosols from Garden of Wisdom and oils from Mountain Rose Herbs thanks to you and everyone else who recommended these folks back in the day. =D But always on the lookout for another great supplier. :D
Always great to see members here, who have been around as long as I have :hugs: long time no see @ocres!! I use the same places you use, GOW has amazing hydrosols, MRH great oils, Skinactives I order just a few things from, and not often. Lotioncrafters and Makingcosmetics and Bulkactives are the 3 I use most for DIY stuff. Really it just depends on what I'm ordering as I have my favorites at each of these places..........Vit E at LC, Vit C at Makingcosmetics, SKB at Bulkactives, to make things even more complicated :eek:

·
Registered
213 Posts
:hugs: Yay!! So happy to see you here still gymmie. As I tell everyone, I loved this site because of the freeflow of ideas and your personality/leadership/mentorship was so wecloming to newbies like me when I joined. This is great. I haven't purchased from Makingcosmetics so I'll try them and Bulkactives. I don't like how the packaging changed at LC for my VIt C, ferulic, etc. so I've been looking for a new supplier. Thanks and hope to see you whenever i can - it will probably come and go in bursts! <3

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not gymmie, so I will of course defer to her, BUT I remembered reading a post recently by Kassy that I saved. She shared the following -
"Here are the "musts" for an effective vitamin C serum;

- 15 to 20% cosmetic grade ultra fine L-AA
- 2 or 3 more antioxidants like vit E oil, dl-panthenol, ferulic acid for instance..(AOX's work in synergy, one on it's own is a waste of time.)
- an "oil" must be included which is the only way to feed the lipid portion of the skin cells..(the l-aa and water addresses the aqueous layer of the cell.
- pH below 3 (optimum 2.5 to 2.8)
- A well formulated vitamin C serum once absorbed, will continue to work at the cellular level for up to 72 hours. Once it penetrates the epidermis, it can't be "washed"

I believe it was in answer to a similar question. I'd share the link but I don't have it. =) But, I think you can find the thread if you google the above answer. Hope that helps!

·
Administrator
33,772 Posts
:hugs: Yay!! So happy to see you here still gymmie. As I tell everyone, I loved this site because of the freeflow of ideas and your personality/leadership/mentorship was so wecloming to newbies like me when I joined. This is great. I haven't purchased from Makingcosmetics so I'll try them and Bulkactives. I don't like how the packaging changed at LC for my VIt C, ferulic, etc. so I've been looking for a new supplier. Thanks and hope to see you whenever i can - it will probably come and go in bursts! <3
Yep, still here!! Some day I will be a collectors item :p I am happy you dropped back in even if time is limited, I love seeing members like yourself.

Packaging at LC is the same as Bulkactives. It is not the best, but what I do is save all my old containers wash them in the dishwasher then, re use them. I cut the label off the foil bag, and tape on the lid of the container I dump the contents in. My guess is the foil is saving them loads on containers, but it sure isn't the most convenient.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You already are a rare find, gymmie!! :yess::yess:
Great idea!! As soon as I finish the SKB, I'm going to use that for the LAA. :thanx:

·
Administrator
33,772 Posts
You already are a rare find, gymmie!! :yess::yess:
Great idea!! As soon as I finish the SKB, I'm going to use that for the LAA. :thanx:
Just for future reference.....of course, I like Bulkactives SKB much more than LC :yes: don't know why but I do. So next time around give Bulkactives a try and tell me what you think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts