Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As mentioned I am only 24 and have bad crows feet for a number of reason I assume.

Last night I put some zia vitamin c serum around my eyes and all over my face really.. today I woke up my skin had red dots and was very irritated..

furthermore the skin around my eyes is less than paper thin!! making the wrinkles so much more obvious.

Is this normal at first? I am ready to just use water on my face and moisterizer and see if time will heal them because im young?

help

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Well, it may be irritating your skin initially. Especially if you are using other irrritating products like scrubs, AHA, retinol, any other chemicals.

I would go slowly and let my skin rest from all of those things before using it again. And only use a tiny bit, not a lot. I may be that you are allergic to something in the product as well.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Clinton if you have had Chemo and Radiotherapy sometimes it can make the skin very weak and fragile!

I dont know if you have spoken to your doctor about this but it might be worth while doing! Y

You may want to think about letting your skin heal naturally for a while, drinking things like green teas are great antioxidents for the skin, also seeweed in your diet and so on!

Also you may want to try using anti aging carrier oils for your skin and facial excerises and massage!

The eyes can be a sensative area as well so just be careful what you put on these! A Hyaclouric serum might be good for your skin too, it can also help plump out fine lines and wrinkles!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

I think that you are using the wrong products on your face. At 24 you should not have any wrinkles at all.
Try to calm the area around your eyes. Camomile, green tea or ordinary tea-bags soaked in iced-water can help or some cucumber slices.
I suggest rosewater to tone your skin because it is so gentle.
Keep your eye are moisturised. The area has no oil glands so be careful. Use vitamin E oil or wheatgerm oil and pat it in at night. Start from the inner corner of your eye and tap gently in a circle.
I hope all this helps,

Warmest regards,

Redrose

·
Registered
25 Posts
you shuld try to slow down with all the products that you have been using...

i agree with redrose.
try "rose water" or "hydrogen water"

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
You need to avoid too much sun exposure, do not forget to always use a good sunscreen, drink lots of water, eat veg and fruits, and use rosewater or distilled water as toner. Try using facial oils instead of moisturiser for your skin type and you'll see the difference it can make to your skin.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've found rose hip oil to be very helpful for the skin with no irritation whatsoever. I put it around my eyes every night and it has softened the eye wrinkles. Some of the forehead wrinkles are also less visible and some age spots have faded. It makes my skin look healthy and nice. Rose hip oil has natural tretinoin and maybe that's why it's claimed to be good for anti-aging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, Clinton's experience is making me have second thoughts about making my own serum. I just joined the group a few days ago, so I'm very new to all this. I wanted to ask if it made any difference if I used L ascorbic acid in crystal form (as opposed to powder) when I saw her skin reaction. My goodness Clinton, you're only 24, you honestly see crow's feet around your eyes? Well, I'm still excited about experimenting with my own serum, but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the crystal Vit C.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I read this with interest as I too had a bad reaction to a normal product that many people find to be GOLD in the anti-aging world. I used a strong AHA and despite exfoliating harshly in other ways, sitting in the sun for YEARS and doing many other potentially damaging things to my skin the single most negative thing for my skin was use of this Donell 20 (20% AHA) body lotion. My skin on my entire body aged significantly becoming crepe-paper like, thin, and damaged within a month or so of using this cream. I have since stopped it and am rehabilitating my skin but the moral of the story is that we ALL react differently to these products and perhaps should try to spot test any product for a month or so. Easier said than done but as someone suffering the damage I would have rather taken a month than have to wait three now to see if this resolves itself or if I need FULL BODY peels to regain some epidermal integrity.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Mayra--it is a Foot AND BODY lotion. I got it to try and look 20 again instead it made me look older! It just thinned my skin terribly and dehydrated it. My rationale was that I could resurface my own epidermis with a stronger AHA and 20 was the best I could get barring Kavi products which was to be my next step. My dream turned into a nightmare! I just think all exfoliation products need to be patch tested.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Keep away from PEG ( PEG-40 to PEG 200 ) and ~ethanolamine ( mono - or di~) containing formulas, AND obviously any acidic ( AHA or Citric or Ascorbic Acid ) should not be used after skin reactions. Also avoid vit E acetate, which may deposit acetic acid into the skin, get tocotrienol caps.
Skip the Glycol section :

Better guidance to younger skin types is imperative, DO NOT jump in with
both feet with any mixture at full strength. Even Rose Hip oil should be diluted with any available oil (Avocado, Olive. Meadowfoam is great to add)

Make sure your Butylene Glycol is odorless, it is internally metabolized in the citric acid cycle,
Butylene glycol is rapidly absorbed through any tissue, including the skin. It is rapidly metabolized to gamma-hydroxybutyric acid in animals and humans. Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid is a naturally occurring chemical found in the brain and peripheral tissues of humans. Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid is also rapidly metabolized into succinate through the tricarboxylic acid cycle within the body. Given in high doses, a neuromodulator effect can be seen.4 However, in the small doses used as a solvent in pharmaceuticals and nutritionals, there are no known side effects. In water-based products, a concentration of 0.5% butylene glycol, as a solvent, would be safe for topical use. I will look into side reactions for high dose cases.

Now for Propylene Glycol :

# Ethylene glycol ingestion first affects the central nervous system (CNS). After a characteristic latent period, signs of inebriation may be followed by serious illness and even death, caused by toxic metabolites.
# Propylene glycol, which is much less toxic than ethylene glycol, is metabolized to compounds that are normal constituents of the citric acid cycle. This is one sites opinion. Now look at a 2nd opinion :

According to goldenbutterfly.net/harmful_ingredients.htm
Propylene Glycol (PG): Propylene Glycol serves as a Humectant - a substance that helps to retain moisture content. It is also a wetting agent and solvent, so it is used by many cosmetic manufacturers to facilitate the process of dissolving and combining ingredients. Propylene Glycol is widely used in skin cream, and many other personal care products. Propylene Glycol is also one of the key ingredients in embalming fluid, anti-freeze, brake fluid, hydraulic fluid, de-icer, paints and floor wax. The Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for Propylene Glycol clearly states: "Implicated in contact dermatitis, kidney damage and liver abnormalities; Can inhibit skin cell growth in human tests, and can damage cell membranes causing rashes, dry skin and surface damage." The MSDS also cautions: Acute Effects: "May be harmful by inhalation, ingestion or skin absorption. May cause eye irritation, skin irritation. Exposure can cause Gastrointestinal disturbances, Nausea, Headache, Vomiting and Central Nervous System depression." Propylene Glycol is toxic, and it will actually retards your skin's ability to maintain normal cellular regeneration.

If you rub a little P.G. on you hands, they get quite warm .... Hmmm.

tried Glycerin to dissolve Ferulic Acid ? 10% alcohol may help but use
95% ethanol , and by the time it heats on the waterbath, its gone.
use 50% of the Glycerin to start for higher alcohol, then add balance.

OK, would you prefer some science on the vit C & Ferulic acid ? will let U know when I have found a simple procedure ...

1. Ascorbic acid in water will have a pH of 1.5 , which will sensitise skin.
2. There are many Vit C esters which are more sensible, insofar as being oil soluble and having an ideal affinity with the skin matrix, acid is released slow
ie: an ester allows the vitamin to be bioavailabe much longer (12+hrs) and
because its oil soluble is more stable and deeper penetrating.
3. Tocotrienols are a superior vit E antioxidant synergist that should be incorporated. More on that later.
4. Here is an excerpt from an article which should help : Enjoy.

The Vitamin C Ester in our CE Ferulic acid is made of L-ascorbic acid joined with a fatty acid creating an ester bond. Our Vitamin C Ester in CE Ferulic acid stimulates collagen production plus it is fat-soluble, making it stable, non-acidic, completely nonirritating to the skin and offers maximum protection against free radicals at the precise spot that they do the most damage; the outside of the cell.

The Vitamin C Ester in our CE Ferulic acid also displays greater antioxidant activity in the skin cells than ascorbic acid does, and performs this vital task at lower doses. In fact, compared with ascorbic acid,the Vitamin C Ester in our CE Ferulic acid delivers 8 times higher levels of Vitamin C activity (Source: Journal of Cosmetic Science, January-February 2004, pages 1-12).

The Vitamin C Ester in CE Ferulic acid is more stable in topical solutions than its water-soluble cousin, Ascorbic Acid. This allows our Vitamin C Ester in CE Ferulic acid to maintain its efficacy while it delivers its incomparable benefits. Also, our fat soluble Vitamin C Ester in CE Ferulic will not produce the negative rash reactions that occur when products containing water-soluble ascorbic acid are applied to the skin.

CE Ferulic acid serum uses Vitamin E in the form of Tocotrienol which is 40 times stronger and more effective at repairing skin damage than traditional Tocopherol Vitamin E (Source: Journal of Nutrition, February 2001, pages 369-373). The Vitamin E from Tocotrienol in CE Ferulic acid is an active ingredient that has free radical scavenging, moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties.

While the combination of vitamin C, E and ferulic acid appears to have clear advantages over vitamin C alone, a number of limitations remain. First, even though combining vitamin C with vitamin E and ferulic acid makes it more stable, some degradation still occurs and may still be a significant factor depending on the usage and storage conditions. Second, vitamin C is acidic and may be irritating for people with sensitive skin, especially at relatively high concentrations required for stimulating collagen production. There are alternatives allowing to get at least some of the benefits of stable topical vitamin C while minimizing skin irritation. This was covered in points 1 - 3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I thought I was the only one....yes, it looks good advice, but soooo long
What makes it look like good advice? The fact that it IS long?

Actually it looks like text copied and pasted from some website (aka B.S.).

How about common sense. If something's irritating your skin, stop using it.

Regarding the crow's feet, odds are you'll always have them. From here on, moisturize day and night and use a SPF30 (or higher) sunscreen during the day. With continued use of sun protection and moisturizer, hopefully you'll see an improvement. If you can slip some anti-oxidants in there without exacerbating the problem, even better.

Oh yeah, and drink 8 oz. of water every hour you're awake.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought I was the only one....yes, it looks good advice, but soooo long
Actually, i took the time to read it, it doesnt really make a lot of sense and it reads like its a bunch of different info pasted from various different sources without crediting the actual source other than what someone else researched and credited, which for me holds no water...

·
Registered
62 Posts
As mentioned I am only 24 and have bad crows feet for a number of reason I assume.

Last night I put some zia vitamin c serum around my eyes and all over my face really.. today I woke up my skin had red dots and was very irritated..

furthermore the skin around my eyes is less than paper thin!! making the wrinkles so much more obvious.

Is this normal at first? I am ready to just use water on my face and moisterizer and see if time will heal them because im young?

help
==========

I had a issue with vitamin c also. It was pretty bad. I used baby butt cream and it was great. Very soothing and hydrating.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Looks like another resurrected thread.

I think after 2 years the dingbats have left the building!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts