Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay I followed a recipe I found here and made a vit. c serum that included vit e oil, ferulic acid, jojoba oil and witch hazel. My question is that I have c powder from the personal formulator and I allowed them to dissolve for 30 minutes but I'm not sure they disolved but rather sat at the bottom of the glass for 30 minutes. If they disolve then that means there should be no residue in the glass, right? also my final serum has some residue kind of in the middle of the glass--suspended in the oil? and when I shake and put some in my hand there are some white flakes--not sure what it is, ferulic acid maybe. sorry for the long post but I was trying to give a good description so I can get some help. thanks so much. please let me know what I might be doing wrong, maybe the witch hazel isn't as strong as using vodka?

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
okay I followed a recipe I found here and made a vit. c serum that included vit e oil, ferulic acid, jojoba oil and witch hazel. My question is that I have c powder from the personal formulator and I allowed them to dissolve for 30 minutes but I'm not sure they disolved but rather sat at the bottom of the glass for 30 minutes. If they disolve then that means there should be no residue in the glass, right? also my final serum has some residue kind of in the middle of the glass--suspended in the oil? and when I shake and put some in my hand there are some white flakes--not sure what it is, ferulic acid maybe. sorry for the long post but I was trying to give a good description so I can get some help. thanks so much. please let me know what I might be doing wrong, maybe the witch hazel isn't as strong as using vodka?
It sounds like the ferulic isn't dissolving. Try getting it to disolve in a little vodka before you add it to the rest. Sometimes I get residue on the bottom of the bottle too, after a few shakes it gets better, but still not all the way mixed up. I have now started to just keep my serum in my bathroom rather than the fridge as Peri suggested. This helps a ton with anything settling on the bottom.

·
Registered
475 Posts
When my C dissolves it looks like clear water. No cloudy or flakes in the bottom. Hope this answers your c question. I actually just ordered the c from lotion crafters. The NOW c was working fine but I caught somewhere here that if there is no L in front of the ascorbic acid it is a synthetic C. I believe it was Kassy that said this, I don't want to misquote her, but give credit where due. So I went ahead and ordered the c from lotioncrafters. It should actually be in my mailbox.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gymrat you were right, it was the ferulic acid. I made a new batch today and realized it wasn't dissolving so I am going to get some vodka tomorrow. Just wondering--I'm using Kassy's recipe---if I can replace the glycerin with propylene glycol?

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
gymrat you were right, it was the ferulic acid. I made a new batch today and realized it wasn't dissolving so I am going to get some vodka tomorrow. Just wondering--I'm using Kassy's recipe---if I can replace the glycerin with propylene glycol?
I am glad you figured out what it was. I know for me the ferulic can be a little tricky to get to dissolve. Some batches I have no problem and others are a BIG problem. Usually I will let it sit in the vodka as long as possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts