Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice some of the places to get the ingreds for diy serums/lotions have some recipes. It will take me some time to decipher them but I am close.

There is one place that says to add this and that to your base cream but never says how much of any product? 1/4 tsp? 1/2 tsp? 2 TBS? does it matter? Which could be irritating or damaging? Just the acids? Are all the vitamins A, C, E, others? all acidic? Is there a general rule like oils only 1 tsp, vitamins 1/4 tsp at a time, Matrixyl 2000, argereline, idebenone, HA, just a smidgeon, etc?

I am getting a bit overwhelmed and frustrated when I read about ph levels, oxidation, one item destroying what the other is trying to do and on. Is there a book on this that unchemisty-like type people can read and understand on mixing the many many different -- or should I just keep asking a zillion questions and be known as the "pesty one" lol?

I can't wait to get to mixing this and that - I am just a bit intimidated. Can you add the ferulic acid powder to anything like to Shea butter and jojoba oil? And apply after the retinA for the night?

I added some stuff this morning to my "base cream" and it looked like I painted my face orange. Some serum. Too much? I know this is all learn as you go and there will be mistakes. My orangey face can attest to that.

How do you know how much of which and when?

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
Oh don't worry too much about it. It all just takes time. Trial and error, trial and error.

Who ever you are buying your supplies/additives from in the shipment it should have specific instructions on how much to use and what you can use it with. If not go to their web site and it is usually listed there too.

What turned you orange? Let me guess, SAS antioxidant booster???

For the FA, I only use mine in my Vit C serum.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Oh sure msavoy I know how that feels!!! Here's a solubility chart I find helpful
BulkActives' skin actives solubility chart

That site has some advanced recipes for adding the ingredients you mentioned, but it gets pretty pricey! I just stick to my C serum and use it in the AM. At night it's Retin-A Micro...alone...so I don't dilute it. Oh and Sunscreen every AM.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh don't worry too much about it. It all just takes time. Trial and error, trial and error.

Who ever you are buying your supplies/additives from in the shipment it should have specific instructions on how much to use and what you can use it with. If not go to their web site and it is usually listed there too.

YES. IT WAS! rofl. the color tho really made my eyes pop!! lol.

no pink. no brown. just alllll orange. funny and scary too.

·
Registered
35 Posts

What websites have you ordered from that gave the instructions? I have never had them put instructions in my box. I have used garden of wisdom, skin actives, and bulk actives, and two others. Just curious, because I sure would like to check them out. I have a big problem getting answers over at skin actives.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skin actives sends a little blurb about ingreds and there is at the bottom (Paraphrasing) add some whatever to base cream. Or add this stuff to oils.

It just doesn't give the HOW MUCHES. I'll just stick to the recipes here, first.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I notice some of the places to get the ingreds for diy serums/lotions have some recipes. It will take me some time to decipher them but I am close.

There is one place that says to add this and that to your base cream but never says how much of any product? 1/4 tsp? 1/2 tsp? 2 TBS? does it matter? Which could be irritating or damaging? Just the acids? Are all the vitamins A, C, E, others? all acidic? Is there a general rule like oils only 1 tsp, vitamins 1/4 tsp at a time, Matrixyl 2000, argereline, idebenone, HA, just a smidgeon, etc?

I am getting a bit overwhelmed and frustrated when I read about ph levels, oxidation, one item destroying what the other is trying to do and on. Is there a book on this that unchemisty-like type people can read and understand on mixing the many many different -- or should I just keep asking a zillion questions and be known as the "pesty one" lol?

I can't wait to get to mixing this and that - I am just a bit intimidated. Can you add the ferulic acid powder to anything like to Shea butter and jojoba oil? And apply after the retinA for the night?

I added some stuff this morning to my "base cream" and it looked like I painted my face orange. Some serum. Too much? I know this is all learn as you go and there will be mistakes. My orangey face can attest to that.

How do you know how much of which and when?
This is so funny, and I enjoyed the trip down memory lane it gave me..

When I first decided to get into DIY, I promptly ordered everything under the sun, from several DIY websites, and then when it all arrived I didn't have a clue in hell what all to do, and what went with what..

Boy oh boy did I have my share of blunders.. I wound up with spackle the 1st time I used Hyaluronic Acid, DMAE turned a perfectly lovely cream into the consistency of water, and my 1st pearl powder cream looked (and felt) like tile grout..

If I could return back to then, knowing what I know now, I would do the following;

- Do a little research for 2 or 3 of the specific actives that will deal with your most important skin issues. You have plenty of time to learn a lot, so don't overwhelm yourself with too much too soon.

- Find things that compliment each other and work synergistically, so you can get double duty out of just one serum/lotion or cream, so you don't wind up with 5 things with the same group of actives..

- Start slowly.. A good vitamin C serum is a must IMHO and also a serum/cream or lotion with antioxidants + perhaps a peptide or two. You could also make something to deal with a specific skin concern you have.. So that gives you 3 things to begin with, which will allow you to see what works for you, and what needs tweaking.. More than that will not only confuse you, but it can be overwhelming to your skin and result in breakouts and/or irritation.. Less is best with new things, so you can keep in check what's working or a tosser.

- Bye your little 1oz bottles a dozen at a time because trust me you will use them all in short order
Dark blue or amber is a great choice, and dropper + pump cover most needs. (I'm a total serum girl, so this suits me perfectly.) For cream girls, jars will be needed to and recycling your retail jars can suit that need nicely.

- The most important thing I can tell you is to really study and research just a couple of actives/antioxidant at a time.. You will learn things thoroughly by spending lots of time on just a few things.

- Be sure to learn all you can about the compatability of any ingredients you want to couple up.. Some things go together like hand in glove, and some are like oil + water or worse.. What was helpful to me in the beginning was to study the ingredient list of products I heard great things about.. Not only will the ingredient list show you things that go well together, but you will also gain knowledge without even trying, which will help you know which actives you should have at the top of the list.. (The ingredient lists are in order from highest concentration to lowest.. Also keep in mind that if you see an active in the last 3rd of the list, it is likely just a *dusting* of it, and at a concentration of .01 or lower..
) Much can be learned from researching labels!

Okay, grandkids are tearing up the house and it's time for their beddy-bye..

Hope that helped!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote: Originally Posted by

When I first decided to get into DIY, I promptly ordered everything under the sun, from several DIY websites, and then when it all arrived I didn't have a clue in hell what all to do, and what went with what

you get me, you really do!

- Buy your little 1oz bottles a dozen at a time because trust me you will use them all in short order Dark blue or amber is a great choice, and dropper + pump cover most needs. (I'm a total serum girl, so this suits me perfectly.) For cream girls, jars will be needed to and recycling your retail jars can suit that need nicely.

need more 1oz bottles/dk blue, dropper/pumpers too. . .

Also keep in mind that if you see an active in the last 3rd of the list, it is likely just a *dusting* of it, and at a concentration of .01 or lower.. )

aaaah, there's the secret!

Hope that helped!

Yes. Thank you sooo much. I also should remember to write it all down. That way, when I discover the serum to erase all lines/wrinkles I will know which ones I used! I want to use them all!! bwaaaaaa aaaaaaa.

·
Administrator
33,845 Posts
What websites have you ordered from that gave the instructions? I have never had them put instructions in my box. I have used garden of wisdom, skin actives, and bulk actives, and two others. Just curious, because I sure would like to check them out. I have a big problem getting answers over at skin actives.
Most sites I order from give intructions on mixing, etc. If they don't I always email them, and always get a response.

Lotioncrafters, and makingcosmetics always send it with my order. If you order from skinactives, look on your shipping paper. It should be listed under the product you have ordered. If not, shoot them an email.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts