Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have had to wax the whole of my body now for a long time, but im having so many problems lately with my skin, i have so many ingrowing hairs and they are very sore and the hair refuses to grow out the skin, the ony way to stop this pain is to get the hair out, but this then developes into a really bad sore that takes months to heal, in the mean time the hair has grown yet again and becomes ingrowing, so the cycle goes on, the worst areas are at the top of my legs and my bottom, i exfoliate everytime i shower or bath, this has made no difference at all, skin creams from the derm did nothing either, has anyone any suggestions to what is going on?

ps when i do wax im left with my skin looking like a plucked chicken, a few days dosent seem to improve anything either, i still have the red dots from where the hair was removed,til the hair regrows again.

·
Registered
316 Posts
From the sounds of it, your hair must be coarse and dark. When I was in esthetics school, we had a girl in class with the same problem. Her skin would look like chicken skin and have red bumps for a few days. This is because when the hair is pulled, the follice is so large it pulls the skin under the follice through your pore. This causes inflammation. Do you wax yourself or go to a spa? That will also make a huge difference. If you wax yourself the wax you are using could be clogging your pores and making it difficult for the new hair to come through. Your local spa should be able to assist and provide you with a product to help. In the meantime, go to the drugstore and get Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash - it has salicylic acid in it, which is an anti-inflammatory and also has the ability to sweep out your pores and clear them up. Try to let it sit on the trouble spots for about 5 minutes and use it every time you shower. It can be drying so you should also get an exfoliating body lotion such as AmLactin or LacHydrin 5 - all of these products should be available at your local drugstore if you're in the US.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I have heard that Tendskin is helpful for this. I think it is aspirin based perhaps that might help I havent tried it but if anyone else has perhaps they could advise better.

or maybe you could try a hair growth minimiser after you wax they are supposed to make the hair grow back finer after a few months of use.

the trouble is waxing takes ff the top layers of skin and the new hair cant break through unless you exfoliate like made for a few days after waxing. perhaps use another hair removal method that doesn't take the top layer of skin off. Pumi is right cream might help.

Or look into the different types of wax, some of the more sophistcated ones dont stick to the skin as much and therefore keep it in tact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok first of all thanks for the replies, also in in the uk.
right i have tried the other forms of hair removal, the creams just dont work at all on my body hair, and on the tiny patches that it does remove them they are back within hours of doing it and you can feel then very prickly.

i cant afford the permanent removal so im not left with very much am i? waxing or shaving is only open to me, shaving is ok but it grows back so quick and it really does need doing everyday, also with my excema i have to be very careful on the sore areas, and the back of your legs are hard work.

to be honest with you i stoped actually using wax sometime back and bought one of those epilators as i thought it may have been to do with the wax itself, i still have the problem just the same

tried the hair minimiser creams - did nothing at all. it was as strong as ever. i was using that stuff for around 6 months and i did take a photo of the area before and after and you could clearly see it hadnt worked at all

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
Epilators take the top layer off also.

is this a hormonal problem? if so you could look into that.

how about getting together with a few friends and buying a laser device i think its called rio. its a few hundred quid but split amongst 5 of you you could borrow it amongst yourselves. i mean close friends or family?

good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Get something with Aloe in it, it will cool your skin afterward and aloe with a moisturizer will make your skin feel oh so soft
Andrew

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Did you think of trying that smoothaway thing they advertise on tv, it does work I use it. but you'll have to use it up to twice a week if you are really hairy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you think of trying that smoothaway thing they advertise on tv, it does work I use it. but you'll have to use it up to twice a week if you are really hairy.
How long does it take usually for the hair to grow back? in natural cases

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have tried just about everything that is on the market here in the uk that is available in the shops, none of it works at all, at the moment due to the waxing my legs are covered in sores i have around 30 on each leg that are refusing to heal up, shaving has to be done on the evening before i would go out and wear a skirt by the morning it has regrown as fast as my husbands face does.

creams have no effect on the hair at all even if i left it on for twice the recomended time waxing is done weekly by which time it has regrown to around 1 cm long

on my face i have rather a lot on my chin, but when they grow back it developes spots which are very painful, those spots do not go until i remove the hair, trouble is tho the cycle restarts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that- You poor little thing! perhaps your Doctor can help you or at the very least refer you to someone who can help you. That is the only thing I can think of. Hope it gets better for you!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same issue for 10 years thinking it was just the way my skin was. I would have spent $1000's on creams and after treatments on trying to reduce the inflammation. I would get a wax and the red pussy bumps would last nearly 1.5 weeks with the red rash lasting 3 weeks (sometimes more). That's a long time considering that I needed a wax every 4 weeks. It was the same problem when using an epilator so I know it was not the wax. I finally spoke to the Doctor about it. He prescribed me 'doxycycline' (an antibiotic) and the rash was almost invisible the following day. *edit made by Mod*

The best thing you can do is visit your doctor. If he can't help he will refer you to a Dermatologist. I just wish I did 10 years ago.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have the same problem with hair growing on my chin. I didn't wax but started to pluck the hairs and before long I had red angry looking bumps sometimes I could pop the top with a needle and a long hair would have been growing under the skin. I scrub my chin with a nailbrush every night to exfoliate and it has helped a bit. I sympathise with you because I have the strange plucked chicken look on and under my chin.

I'm a Brit too so I know in the UK it's not that easy to get in to see a dermatologist. I've used tea tree oil with some success on the ingrown hair bumps but if you can get Tend lotion it's also good..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts