Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have been suffering from severe acne since I was in my teens which has left horrible scarring behind. I am looking for some ways to help clear some of my acne scars.

They do look ugly- a bit purplish and reddish in colour.
If anybody has found some ways and treatments that helped fade or remove their acne blemishes, pls do share.

Thanks in advance,
Pumi.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
The only thing that I have come across that may help you is what I have done to myself. I do at home dermabrassion (avon) and does semm to lighten the old scars but does not get rid of them completely. It does make them light enough that I can hide them with foundation though. Now that I've started with the Strivectin, I've been smearin that stuff all over ( the boxe says it will hepl with discoloration) and so far it does, I know I had more scars before I started but now I can't seem to find them.... I hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your helpful reply, Mony. I am not sure if the dermabraison would be ideal fr me as I have sensitive skin. I do agree scars can't be faded completely unfortunately
By the way, have you tried any natural treatments to help fade your acne scars?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Scrubs,green tea, and rosehips! that's all I can remember off- hand. None seemed to make a difference in the colour fadding department. Though on a site (some years ago) I saw a recipe for a fading fluid- made with dandelions..... I will see if I can find it for you, I know I tried it then, I don't remember it working for me, but maybe it would on you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have been suffering from severe acne since I was in my teens which has left horrible scarring behind. I am looking for some ways to help clear some of my acne scars.

They do look ugly- a bit purplish and reddish in colour.
If anybody has found some ways and treatments that helped fade or remove their acne blemishes, pls do share.

Thanks in advance,
Pumi.
Acne scars are horrible after have been suffering severe acne. As you mention, I think that curring for your acne scars not so easy. Acne scar is categorised into many types such as Icepick, roll car, atrophic, hypertrophic... and so treatment is also complex. There are many methods to cure acne scar, depend on type of scar. Chemical peels, laser, filters, fat graft, Dermabration, surgery.... Not single method show the best result. Now, the most favorite methods are laser (Fraxel) and dermabration. But combining some methods are nessesary. I think the topical drugs are'n effect for you. You should contact a cosmetic surgeon to get a good result.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scrubs,green tea, and rosehips! that's all I can remember off- hand. None seemed to make a difference in the colour fadding department. Though on a site (some years ago) I saw a recipe for a fading fluid- made with dandelions..... I will see if I can find it for you, I know I tried it then, I don't remember it working for me, but maybe it would on you.
Yes, please do share the dandelion recipe if you find it, Mony.
Cheers

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Ok here it is: take a handful of young dandelion leaves (make sure they haven't been sprayed with anything) and 2 tablespoons of oil ( almond, coconut) and make a bain-marie or double boiler in a NON REACTIVE container stir it around for approx an hour. strain it. jar it in a DARK container and use 2 to 4 times daily on clean skin skin. Remember I'm not sure how it will work for you, if I'm not mistaken I tried it for a week and don't remember any great results, but what works for you may not work for me- so fingers crossed I hope it works for you. I found that on an old wicca site. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for the recipe, Mony. Now all that I need is to find some dandelion leaves and get going! I will keep u posted of any results.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Acne scars are horrible after have been suffering severe acne. As you mention, I think that curring for your acne scars not so easy. Acne scar is categorised into many types such as Icepick, roll car, atrophic, hypertrophic... and so treatment is also complex. There are many methods to cure acne scar, depend on type of scar. Chemical peels, laser, filters, fat graft, Dermabration, surgery.... Not single method show the best result. Now, the most favorite methods are laser (Fraxel) and dermabration. But combining some methods are nessesary. I think the topical drugs are'n effect for you. You should contact a cosmetic surgeon to get a good result.
Thanks for ur reply bsphong. Really appreciated. Unfortunately, I can't think of cosmetic surgery as this is a too costly treatment for me. I will try Mony dandelion recipe and a few tips I picked up on the net. Fingers crossed, I might see some result in a few months' time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for ur reply bsphong. Really appreciated. Unfortunately, I can't think of cosmetic surgery as this is a too costly treatment for me. I will try Mony dandelion recipe and a few tips I picked up on the net. Fingers crossed, I might see some result in a few months' time.
That's a alternative medicine. I hope it give you a good result
. If you get a happy result, please tell all member of forum.
Good sucessfuly!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Pumi, did it work? Or have you had a chance to try it? My daughter has some reddish/purplish spots where she had some pimples and now they're gone but the discoloration remains. I'd love to try this on her.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would also be interested to know if it worked for you Pumi!
I know that dandelion has many properties, including cleansing the liver which is often thought to help clear (hm, or at least reduce) acne. But it I would not really have thought that any type of internal treatment alone could work on scars - I hope you'll prove me wrong :)

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Pumi, did it work? Or have you had a chance to try it? My daughter has some reddish/purplish spots where she had some pimples and now they're gone but the discoloration remains. I'd love to try this on her.
MsFancy- how old is your daughter? You say she has some spots from acne, if she is old enough take her in for a microdermabrasion. A few of those done professionally might be all she needs. It will really help with those spots. I had a few myself. I did a few microderms along with a few TCA peels and my spots are completely gone.

If she is old enough, have a microderm done then do a home TCA on her and see if this helps.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
She's 20 and her skin was flawless until about 6 months ago. I got her Proactiv and it seems to be working controlling the breakouts but the red/purple spots are really bad.

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
She's 20 and her skin was flawless until about 6 months ago. I got her Proactiv and it seems to be working controlling the breakouts but the red/purple spots are really bad.
No Mama, stop with proactiv. It will keep the acne at bay but wait until you want to stop using it. Plus google the pros/cons on benzoyl peroxide use and see it does more harm that good. If you use anything for acne try using salicylic acid base products. I used to use benzoyl peroxide until I got to the derm and he said-
. Then I started doing my own research and found out he was right-

Skinactives has a nice wash and cream for acne that my son is using right now.
Skin Actives Scientific : Acne Control Cream with T-Zone Serum and ZitEnder
Skin Actives Scientific : Salicylic Wash

The red and purple spots should go away over time. It takes them awhile to fade. Being that she is 20, they should fade. Just be sure she wears sunscreen. If not, the spots only get darker and won't ever fade. I know it is hard to instill in a 20 year olds head to wear sunscreen, I have a 21 year old!! But really those acne spots will be hard to fade if they continue to get darker. It would be like those of us who use RA to go in the sun without wearing sunscreen-

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Thanks, Gym. I'm going to get this stuff you recommended and stop the Proactiv. I love this place!!

·
Administrator
33,848 Posts
Thanks, Gym. I'm going to get this stuff you recommended and stop the Proactiv. I love this place!!
Give it a try. I think it is worth it. Just be easy on the wash if you get that. It can be drying. My son uses it once a day, usually in the PM, and uses another wash in the AM. If he is having a "bad face week" as we call it at home, then he will use it 2xs a day.

Let me know if she likes it, MsFancy.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I use PHisoderm's Salicylic Body Wash (2%) and I absolutely love it. I tried many other OTC and I really like it best. (Re: I am cheap and try to find products that I don't have to have shipped) I used to use Noxema Triple Clean with Salicylic but it was too drying.

I think one of the best overall products you can take for health and skin is Vitamin C (topically and orally). I tell you that stuff is magic!!!
I make a Vitamin C serum and apply it topically- and take 1000mg of C daily, orally.

I use to heal VERY SLOW and scars would stay with me for a year or better. Since using and taking C consistently - my wounds heal very very quickly and scars fade between 4 and 6 weeks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use PHisoderm's Salicylic Body Wash (2%) and I absolutely love it. I tried many other OTC and I really like it best. (Re: I am cheap and try to find products that I don't have to have shipped) I used to use Noxema Triple Clean with Salicylic but it was too drying.

I think one of the best overall products you can take for health and skin is Vitamin C (topically and orally). I tell you that stuff is magic!!!
I make a Vitamin C serum and apply it topically- and take 1000mg of C daily, orally.

I use to heal VERY SLOW and scars would stay with me for a year or better. Since using and taking C consistently - my wounds heal very very quickly and scars fade between 4 and 6 weeks.
I just went to order some Mario Badescu (.com, obviously!!) products and saw they are running an cool contest for acne customers and giving away a free skin care regimen to the winners. My skin is ok lately so I'm not submitting a story but I could have 10 years ago or when I was 12! Just wanted to give you guys the heads up. Its one of the brands (among many) that are my go-to products and they are cheap and work. I'm a picker so I have scars too. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts