Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
@#$%^^&**(())[email protected]#@$%%^^&&& ! Did it ever itch & burn like a million fire ants! YIKES! I knew it would be baad but...well...I actually lived to complain & kvetch about it later

I followed the directions carefully & left it on my face for 1 min & on my hands & forearms for 2. After rincing, my face was all pink. Some areas were redder (jawline & upper cheeks). A touch of hydrocortisone cream eased the redness & irritation on the worst areas. Today, my skin is super soft & baby smooth
. I cannot claim that it lightened my skin after one short treatment, but I plan to repeat treatment every thurs for a couple of months. If you have sensitive skin, do NOT jump in at 50%; go for 20% & leave it for 30 secs or so. Better safe than on fire!

So far, I don't see or feel any signs of peeling but apparently this can happen after a few days. I'll let you know what happens. Just be psyched up for the madcap serious itching while the acid is on the skin. I cannot overstate this. THanks again to all those who shared their experiences & advice with me!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good advice, ondine. Slow and steady wins the race, they say. Better to start out at a lower concentration - just to see how it is.

I am happy all is well and good luck with the rest of the treatments!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
The cheek bone area is where I burned after applying without waiting a week of using RA holy BEEP I was on fire for that min and RAN to wash it off, this from someone who has used it for 2 years. I will say it again if you do this and you are using RA WAIT at least 7 days before using it. Glad you survived Ondine! You may experience some peeling in a few days

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
The cheek bone area is where I burned after applying without waiting a week of using RA holy BEEP I was on fire for that min and RAN to wash it off, this from someone who has used it for 2 years. I will say it again if you do this and you are using RA WAIT at least 7 days before using it. Glad you survived Ondine! You may experience some peeling in a few days
I agree, and for those that have never done a peel. It is SO IMPORTANT that you DON"T use RA prior to doing a peel. I normally will stop anywhere from 7-10 with my RA use. The earlier you stop the better off in my opinion.

Ondine, I am glad you survived the glycolic. Yes, the itch can get to ya!! Let us know if you start to peel or have flaking. Curious minds want to know-

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Ondine, if you are using glycolic peel every thursday for the next few months does that mean you'll be off Retin-A for hte next few months? Im asking because u cant use Retin-A for a week before/after you have the peel done and since ull be using it everyweek.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. I'll have to forego the RA in order to try out the GA for a sustained period. Right now, my face feels a little 'grainy'. It is hard to explain but it has never felt quite like this. I don't have the leathery patches like you get with TCA but this is odd. I wonder if it is the precursor to peeling?

·
Registered
909 Posts
Thanks for that information Ondine - I used 30% glycolic acid for 4 minutes the other evening. It was tolerable and I liked the results. I have got 50%, but up till now, I haven't used it. I will start off with 1 minute, like you. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WEll, it's been since last THurs. for the GA 50% peel. I'm not sure whether I'm going to use it a 2nd time. It was just too drying for my skin. It has left my palms (where it dripped) & my fingertips rough. Parts of my face still feel a little rough too so I may be due for even more peeling. I'm not sure I like GA. Seems that the discomfort/itchiness are not worth the results so far.

·
Registered
909 Posts
That's interesting Ondine. I think I shall keep the 50% to the side for now. I actually spot treated a couple of areas on my chin with 18% tca last Friday. On the Sunday, I peeled and still have a little more to go. I was surprised at how quickly it happened, as with the 12.5%, it took 4 days before I started.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Thank you so much gymrat for the info. This site is just the coolest. I have learned so much!!!
You are very welcome. Oh yes, this site is very cool!! But be careful we will get you buying all kinds of crazy stuff-

Just kidding.

Good luck with a peel, if you decide to get one. They are fantastic and the results are amazing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
wow! you all are very brave. maybe it's just me, but i would think something that burns your skin would not be a good thing. seems like damage to me. but then again, i am a big chicken when it comes to my face and skin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can I follow this with retrinal 1%? I have heard mixed reviews about glycolic peels, can it help with fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth? I've heard that glycolics and retrinal thin the skin so I am very confused

1 - 17 of 17 Posts