Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I will not put any harsh or even tingly stuff on my daughter skin. But my baby (4 years old) boby is way darker than her face. Her face is yellowish brown (light) whereas her body is dark chocolate. I thought about using Papaya soap or a mild soap lightener for her body but not before knowing it will NOT damage my child skin or irritate her. What do you recommend for children
I'm also thinking of giving her children Vitamin C supplements and lots of oranges for lightening results.

Or, do you think I should wait she becomes old enough to decide and do it herself?? It's weird this thing, my daughter in summer clothing her boby and face don't match at all. At least in Winter I can hide the body..

So what do you think?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Children are still in the developing phase, especially at 4 years old, so you wont know how she comes out when she is done going through the preoperative or adolescent stage, she could come out light skinned. But there is one thing that doctors recommend regardless of any age, even 6 month old babies, that is to use SUNBLOCK on them regularly, sun damage develops and is present in babies who are unprotected as early as 18 months old, of course you cant see them but if you take a UV photo you can see the underlying sun damage waiting to surface.. Give her multivitamins for kids, make her drink two to three glasses of milk daily - milk helps inhibit melanin from within, and thats about it. Dont use Likas on ur baby.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Echoed--plus if you do ANYTHING to alter her pigment at this point it can have catastrophic results. Hormones tend to cause pigmentation changes you want to make sure you have not depleted any melanin that later will cause uneven tone. Just wait until she wants to do something and use sunblock!

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Ditto! Please do not use any kind of lightening agent on yr daughter's skin. Just products designed for toddlers/babies & keep it to a minimum. Keeping her out of the sun & using a child safe sunblock is prudent. Pls do not use so-called 'natural' lighteners on her skin either (kojic acid, arbutin, sepi-white..or anything else).

·
Registered
265 Posts
leave the children alone. Its okay. are we such a superficial society that our kids must look "perfect". Let her decide sweetie, I'm sure she'd be beautiful if she was 5 different shades

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Alongside what Ladydanielle mentioned. I'd add that you be careful not to either blatantly or subtly pass on any colour preferences to yr daughter. Small children think in extreme terms & internalize everything. Emphasizing the health/safety benefits of wearing sunblock & avoiding playing outside in bright sunlight (like sunburn risk, heat exhaustion etc) is wise: making her fear 'getting darker' is not. No matter how lovely she is & how lovely you tell her she is, she'll feel like she is less beautiful & less loveable because of a couple of shades of summer tan. Do not let her see you applying yr HQ. Kids like to immitate mom & dad. One day, you'll turn yr back for a second & she'll have 1/2 a tube of HQ all over her face (& in here eyes, ears & mouth too!). Trust me: my son got ahold of some hair gel once & ...well...it's over & we all survived.

·
Registered
258 Posts
please dont do ne thing to ur daughter,i saw this episode of tyra banks where this woman was bleaching her 3 boys, i thought it was absolutely ridiculous, its one thing to bleach urself, bt a whole other thing to do that to your child, she's still growing the color of her body most likely is the color she's gonna be, in a couple of yrs her face will darken, trust me!!

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I saw that tyra show too, those women were bleaching for 10+ years and they had before pictures, they didnt even get above 1 or 2 shades in 10 years!!!! from using HQ 4%, wtf? They didnt use Retin-A, Sunblock, or exfolaition at all, that mustve been why lol.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alongside what Ladydanielle mentioned. I'd add that you be careful not to either blatantly or subtly pass on any colour preferences to yr daughter. Small children think in extreme terms & internalize everything. Emphasizing the health/safety benefits of wearing sunblock & avoiding playing outside in bright sunlight (like sunburn risk, heat exhaustion etc) is wise: making her fear 'getting darker' is not. No matter how lovely she is & how lovely you tell her she is, she'll feel like she is less beautiful & less loveable because of a couple of shades of summer tan. Do not let her see you applying yr HQ. Kids like to immitate mom & dad. One day, you'll turn yr back for a second & she'll have 1/2 a tube of HQ all over her face (& in here eyes, ears & mouth too!). Trust me: my son got ahold of some hair gel once & ...well...it's over & we all survived.
You are right about being careful around my daughter, about what I say and do. she already imitate me putting make up on, with invisible make-up and her crayons lol. and she argue with her dolls just like i do with her when she makes me angry. and i do believe in not putting 'color complex' in children too, bc i have an aunt who's been bleaching for years with CORTIZONE. from brown skin tone she is now yellow light from head to toe for years. her boys are a little light and most boys and men don't care about "looking good" or about their skin, but her unique daughter my cousin came out dark and she's been bleaching since age 14 imitating her mom. growing up i remimber how my aunt talked about light-skin people are more beautiful than dark ones, that having long straight hair is "wonderful," how she wish she was 'indian' or 'mixed' instead of being full blood African. My cousin is 25 now, she married to a always unemployed-no good white man just to have 'mixed' baby and for the sake of being with a "white" man.

i'm not like that at all! i love being black african, but i've always been a little light, my body at least. my chest, arms and legs are light, my face became dark because of acne scars, blemishes and no protection agaisn't the sun for years. i would mind being darker if my body was dark then I would defitenely tan my face. what I like is being EVEN! so i started lightening my face, bc there is less surface with my face to lighten, than with my body. the picture you see in my avatar is gabrielle union, i think she is so beautiful and she is not light or very light. i like her glowing, flawless complexion, she is EVEN all over that's what I aim for, from head to toe.

Now to answer ladydanielle as well, i'm not obsessed with 'perfection' but c'mon we are all here into looking good. i like to see and have a flawless complexion, make-up, hairstyles and clothings. i like to see and hear smart and kind people too and foremost! back to my daughter I wish her body and her face matched, there is such a difference. but i will definetely leave her alone and do what ondine say, not emphasize her skin differences or discoloration. even though people notice and always ask me what's up...

i will put lots of suncreen on her and all the advices you gave me. but i wish she could tan on the face or lighten on her body to be even. ok, i will leave it alone and keep wishing, just wishing

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Any person who comments on such a thing is just plain rude! I can't imagine doing that to a mother or a child. My grandmother (father's mother) was 1/2 Indian & her husband was mixed too. In her time, having even slightly lighter (or more a different 'type' of brown) skin, fine features (tiny thin nose & lips) & less kinky hair was life altering. For us in the west, although it can make a difference in yr life, it is more a cosmetic concern. For the older generations living here, it was a very different world.

My mother is French/Native & I remember my father's mother fawning over my 'good hair' (wavy/curly auburn brown) & small features. My parents never made an issue of our skin/hair/eyes. My brothers are both fair (one now is afflicted with chalk white vitiligo). I inherited darker skin. As a child, I played in the sun oblivious to the effects on my skin. Sunscreens as we know them didn't exist. I appreciate that my parents did not render me colour conscious like that mother on Tyra was doing to her boys. That is very sad.

LNL, i was wondering about these women's lousy results too. They seemed to be relly plastering on a lot of cream that was sitting on the surface. Maybe it is an absorption issue?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
ondine, they showed hte womens bleaching regimen, all they did was wash their face, apply hq 4% and head out the door without sunblock embracing the strong rays of the sun on their hq laden skin which oxides under the sun of course then burns them darker than they are. The only sort of exfoliation they used was the St. Ives Scrubs and thats not effective enough to scrub away dead skin cells and allow HQ to go in.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ondine, they showed hte womens bleaching regimen, all they did was wash their face, apply hq 4% and head out the door without sunblock embracing the strong rays of the sun on their hq laden skin which oxides under the sun of course then burns them darker than they are. The only sort of exfoliation they used was the St. Ives Scrubs and thats not effective enough to scrub away dead skin cells and allow HQ to go in.
that's what i used to do, no wonder i was darker on my face.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
That's right: I remember that the woman didn't apply sunblock nor did she apply it to her kids. Strange, though, that shows & articles discussing skin lightening always dig up highly dysfunctional people like that woman to support the claim that the desire to lighten one's skin is itself evidence of instability.
It is akin to trotting out Marilyn Monroe & Anna Nicole Smith & arguing that hair lightening leads to dysfunction
. Why don't they discuss the long history lightening has? Much longer & much less lethal than tanning! More people will likely die this year alone from complications of sun/tanning bed use than have died in all human history from skin lightening agents.

Those women were a sorry lot riddled with compounding insecurities. Most skin lighteners are just people correcting a pigmentation issue (age spots, melasma, blotchiness, sun damage etc) or lightening to better flatter their features. So far, since Jan, there have only been 1 or 2 people who had very dark skin who were seeking to turn white. THis forum provides a platform for more stable & responsible people to openly discuss skin lightening.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts