Skin Care Talk banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree with Salina, a good facial is a good foundation to begin with, although that's a service not a product.
Yea I mentioned it because all my acne products work great but are prescribed for me. So I figured I'd mention a service to go along with any face product since I seen better results other than just using a cleanser. Since I think this service helped my face cleansers and creams to work better and speed up the recovering process. Although it is not a product it is a service that will make a good start for clearing up along with any face products.

·
Registered
27 Posts
salinababie, I think that you do have a good point. You get so much more 'bang for your buck' with treatment products if you skin is clean and exfoliated. This allows the treatments to penetrate deeper and be more effective. It is also important to note that you don't necessarily have to have a professional facial if the cost is prohibitive. It can be as simple as making sure you do a deep cleaning once a week or so and gentle exfoliation daily or a couple times a week.

·
Registered
168 Posts
salinababie, I think that you do have a good point. You get so much more 'bang for your buck' with treatment products if you skin is clean and exfoliated. This allows the treatments to penetrate deeper and be more effective. It is also important to note that you don't necessarily have to have a professional facial if the cost is prohibitive. It can be as simple as making sure you do a deep cleaning once a week or so and gentle exfoliation daily or a couple times a week.
I have never done one at home before what kinds of products do you use to give you a deep cleaning?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I love a nice glycolic wash that takes off all my layers of make up and makes my skin feel really clean. Mario Badescu makes great acne products and since I'm a picker, they have recommended to me a bunch of stuff to help dry up and heal the messes I make squeezing my zits, even the ones that are no where near ready. I use Drying Cream and Drying Mask. Also the Healing cream if its red and irritated. Cheap stuff too.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Some oils are not "oily" and can actually help with acne! They don't overdry the skin which only causes the skin to produce more sebum to catch up.

Gardenofwisdom dot com has argan oil and hazelnut oil, both of which could help. They are anti-inflammatory and astringent, respectively. They are absorbed almost on contact and don't leave an oily feel, just a soft skin.
See here: Carrier/Exotic Oils

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, the only thing that really really worked for me was Ph Advantage AM/PM Acne cleanser. Im in school for Esthetics & we use Dermalogica in school which I am not to crazy about although I like their daily microexoliant and certain products. Anyway, I dont have nor have I ever had horrible Acne but I have a mild case. Once I started using the Ph Advantage Cleasner that I mentioned my skin honestly began looking better than ever. I work at Ulta and the Esthetician there and all the girls at were asking me what I was doing because my face was looking better than ever. So I would definately reccomend that as a cleanser. =)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Have acne and want beautiful skin? Been there, understand the problems and frustration.

If anyone hasn't seen the dove commercial where a girl with acne is transformed into a gorgeous model, google "dove commercial" and watch the YouTube version. In less than a minute the girl
goes from ordinary to extraordinary.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wash my face with a baking soda and water mix. I exfoliate my skin with the mix, then wash it off. I also do a facial masque with bentonite clay. At night I put fresh lemon juice on my skin. ***Remember that you have to cleanse your system in order to stop breaking out*** You will continue to break out if your blood is not clean!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I know people who liked proactiv but they said it can be a bit drying and then after a while, like a year, stops working.

"You will continue to break out if your blood is not clean!" quoted form above post...... ????? what does that mean exactly? Isn't acne from over production of oil (caused by horemones mostly) which clogged pores to become infected and inflamed? Can someone or the OP explain that for more clarity? Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im in to natural ways of healing. Do a google search and type in acne liver cleanse. I can't post any links for some reason. I'm not sure if you can email you, and I can go into detail. Once you type in those words, you will get a wealth of info. I strongly believe that if you start from within, your acne will subside

Yes, acne is caused by hormonal imbalance and the livers inability to rid itself of toxins properly. Instead of the liver getting rid of toxins the right way instead the toxins get dumped into your blood, and then that causes skin ailments. It makes alot of sense to me.

I've been doing an internal cleanse for a week and I don't have any active acne at this moment. I have moderate acne.

I believe that if you don't clean yourself periodically, things will come on the skin like acne, eczema and other skin ailments. When you use things like proactive it will mask the problem and will not get rid of the acne. Most times it won't work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For all of you who were talking about using Acutane it really is only as a last resort and for someone who does have very bad acne. So, most times a Derm will not even give that to you unless it really is a bad case of acne and nothing else has cleared it up. =)

Regarding products such as clean and clear DO NOT DO IT !!! All that will do is dry your skin out really badly which in turn will actually cause you to break out more. When youdry your skin out like the it actually sends a signal to your sebaceous glands to produce more oil than before which then causes breakouts especially if you are not properly exfoliating your skin..make sense?? hope I helped ...Sorry for any of the grammatical errors or spelling lol im in a hurry.. feel free to message me if you would like! =) -Amy

·
Administrator
33,917 Posts
Caution with Accutane, my friend is one that stuff and he's depressed because of it.
Freddy if your friend is depressed and thinks the cause is from Accutane, tell him to stop taking it. Accutane isn't a drug to mess around with.

I myself took Accutane, and had great success with it. I had no problems whats so ever with any side effects. Majority of those are bs. There are side effects with every medication. A person taking Accutane has to go into it with an open mind. It is a HUGE commitment, and one that needs to be thought about thru and thru before taking.

Would I recommend it? Of course, to a person who has truely tried everything else. Like I said, it did wonders for me, and wish I would of done it YEARS ago.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Honestly what works the best for me is plain and simple Stridex pads for sensitive skin. That's just me though. I used to have very bad acne and tried the whole Proactiv deal. I saw a littleee bit of improvement, but as I believe someone else mentioned, it kind of gets to a peak where it stops working and you still don't have the skin you want. Other people have also mentioned Benzaclin. I used to use that and it worked really well. Had to stop because we couldn't afford the actual prescription (my doctor was giving me samples). My skin has cleared up naturally as I've gotten older anyway. Every once in a while when I get a big pimple I put a dab of Retin-A on it. That seems to work good too. You need a prescription for it, but my aunt has one and gives me little tubes.

·
Administrator
33,917 Posts
Quote: Originally Posted by Twister

I have researched acne for over 10 years and have suffered for acne long time and have seen the best doctors and taken all types of antibiotics and even Accutane without success in the long term.

I warn people of Accutane who think it will be a cure and quick fix which its not! Accutane has got some serious long term and short effects on your body.

Some of the short term effect which are just too many to list include peeling lips and flakey dry face,depression which can reoccur years after treatment and not being tolerant to light, bone and muscle aches,anxiety, those are some of the few short term effects which mostly after a month or 2 go away as your body starts to get to used it.

However the worst is the long term effect that can occur years down the line, which inlcud diabetics,depression,anxiety,hair loss (specialy among men, so guys watch out) and much more.

Accutane despite with all its side effects works and clears acne, for some people the acne free persiods are 6 months for some 1-2 years, but research has shown it comes back mostly and is not a cure for acne and most doctors who are responsible do not prescribe another course of Accutane to their patients as its not worth it.

Accutane should not be treated even with severe acne as the risk is just too big!! I hope that Accutane will be banned soon by the EU.

Most of the topical and oral stuff out the don't work and i know how acne suffers feel when they spend their hard earned money on products that only disapoint them later.

However in the last years of my global researched of finding a topical reliable safe acne treatmend only one did stand out and time after time delivered results for even some of the worse acne cases.

I wish that the products this clinic sells become a standard and replace Accutane as a more safe alternative. Their prices start from 260 Dollars i think, not cheap, but they deliver REAL redults, i just wish it was cheaper and more widely available to peope who realy need it.

The following clips show some people who have given up hope and had sever acne and used the treatment that clinic offers, hard to believe but their unedited clear videos speak for themself really. I'm not allowed to post them on here yet as I'm still, but PM me and i will give the links

I will continue to travel the world until i find a cure for acne, but for now thats the best out there.

If have any questions and need help just ask please.

Good luck to all of you who are trying to beat their acne which is possible this days if you know where to look and don't suffer in silence please.

Took Accutane myself, and it worked wonders!! I fought acne and taking Accutane for 20 years. I wish I would of bit the bullet sooner, so I had more time to appreciate a acne free face!! With the few side effects I had, joint pain, peeling lips, sores in my nose, etc, still worth it in the end!

But welcome to SCT

21 - 40 of 40 Posts