Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is one of my very favorites, especially with Fall coming!! Cook Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 15 minutes Yield: 10 Servings Ingredients: 3 large eggs ( I use egg supplements) 1 cup sugar 2/3 cup pumpkin 1 teaspoon lemon juice 3/4 cup all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 2 teaspoons cinnamon (I use pumpkin spice in place of cinnomon, ginger and nutmeg) 1 teaspoon ginger 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon salt (you do not have to use this, as I don't and its just as good) Filling: 8 ounces Cream cheese, softened 4 tablespoons Butter, softened 1 cup confectioners' sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract Preparation: In large bowl, combine eggs and sugar, beating with an electric mixer until thick and light yellow in color. Add pumpkin and lemon juice, mixing until blended. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to egg mixture, mixing well. Spread batter into greased and waxed-paper lined 10-by-15-inch jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350 ° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool for 15 minutes. Place cake on clean tea towel sprinkled liberally with powdered sugar. Cool 10 minutes longer. From 10- inch side, roll cake up in towel. Set aside. While cake is cooling in towel, prepare filling. Beat together cream cheese and butter; stir in powdered sugar and vanilla and blend until smooth. Unroll cake. Evenly spread filling over cake. Roll up cake (without the towel). Wrap in plastic wrap. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Slice before serving. Keep leftover slices refrigerated. This pumpkin roll freezes well, and makes about 10 servings.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Oooooo now this sounds good!!!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I'm a recipe JUNKIE!!
I got so many recipes I love. I got a special section in my room with nothing but recipe folders I created.

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a recipe JUNKIE!! :goofs: I got so many recipes I love. I got a special section in my room with nothing but recipe folders I created.
Great!! Start sharing!! :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
this is to die for!

Caramel Shortbread

Ingredients: Note: 1 gram just about equals one ml

For the shortbread:

• 250 g (9 oz) plain flour
  • 175 g (6 oz) butter or margarine
  • 75 g (2½ oz) caster sugar (or ordinary sugar)
For the caramel:

• 400 g (14 oz) tin of condensed milk
  • 150 g (5 oz) butter or margarine
  • 150 g (5 oz) brown or white sugar
For the chocolate topping:

• 200 g (7 oz) milk or plain chocolate.
Method:

1. Prepare the shortbread base by mixing the flour and sugar in a bowl, then rubbing in the butter to produce a smooth paste-like dough.
  2. Press the dough into an 8″x8″ (20cmx20cm) baking tin, or a Swiss Roll tin and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
  3. Prick the dough with a fork and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin.
  4. Prepare the caramel by melting the butter gently in a pan. Add the sugar and stir until a “sludge” is formed.
  5. Remove from the heat and stir in the condensed milk. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently with constant stirring for 8-10 minutes.
  6. Pour the hot caramel onto the shortbread base, spread it out evenly then leave to cool completely.
  7. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over a pan or boiling water. Pour onto the caramel and spread evenly. Place in the fridge to harden the chocolate then cut into squares.

·
Administrator
33,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow.........I love shortbread anything. I will be making this one!! :five:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Baklava (Turkish)

serving:10+ unless you end up eating more than half

Ingredients:
For the Filling:

• 1 cup ground pistachios
  • 1 cup ground almonds
  • 1 cup ground walnuts
  • 1/4 cup icing or powdered sugar
  • 2-3 tbsp bread crumbs (helps to bind the filling)
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cardamom powdered
For the syrup

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1.5 cups water
  • a stick of cinnamon and cardamom
  • 1 tbsp real lemon juice
For the cover

• 150 grams unsalted butter, melted
12 oz packet filo pastry (375g)

Directions:

1. Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well
  2. In a pan mix sugar, water and lemon juice and stir to dissolve all sugar granules. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for around 10-15 minutes while stirring once in a while or until one-string consistency. To check for one string consistency, dip a spoon into the simmering syrup and wipe off of the back of the spoon with fingers (wait a minute so the syrup on the spoon cools a bit!).One thread should form when you feel the syrup between your index finger and thumb. Pretend you a have crab claws and you're playing with a rubber band lol. Set this aside.
  3. Heavily butter a baking dish (a glass 12 x 10 rectangular shape is what i used).
  4. Place one sheet of filo inside the dish and with a brush, butter the filo sheet well. Then add a second filo sheet and brush this melted butter as well. And then a third etc, until you have place about 10 sheets.
  5. After buttering the 10th sheet, add your filling mixture.
  6. Top off another 10 filo sheets, remembering to butter each one as you did before.
  7. Score lightly with a sharp knife into diamond shapes. You shouldn't be cutting it all the way through, just until you get midway.
  8. Pour hot butter over the top, a 4-5 tablespoons not too much. The butter should be hot.
  9. Bake in a preheated oven of 170 C for about 50 min. The top should be a rich golden brown, if not bake for another 10 minutes. Keep an eye on these at this time!
  10. Take out of oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. This part is important!
  11. Pour the syrup on top with a spoon taking care that the syrup had spread everywhere. If you pour the syrup right after you take the baklavas out of the oven you'll get a soggy mess!
  12. Let cool for about 8 hours. Re-cut with a sharp knife along the scored lines. 8 hours seems too long to wait but trust me its waaaay better the longer you wait.

ENJOY!!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
oops! sorry guys i forgot to mention in step 2 to add the cinnamon stick and a pinch of cardamom powder to the syrup once it has been removed from the heat. my mom just told me she also uses a few tablespoons of honey when she pours the syrup on top of the baklavas (step 11).

·
Registered
373 Posts
here's an easy indian recipe for anyone interested:

Seven Cup Halwa

Ingredients:

Chickpea Flour (Besan) - 1 cup
Sugar - 2 cups
Heavy Cream - 1 cup
Clarified Butter (Ghee) - 1 cup
Shredded Coconut - 1 cup
Choice of Dry Fruits - 1 cup, chopped
½ tsp grounded Cardamom Seeds
More dry fruits and nuts for topping

Method:

1. Put the the Chickpea Flour in a heavy-bottomed pan and dry-roast on medium-low heat till it gives off a nice aroma, about 10-15 minutes. The color of the flour should be brownish. If the flour is not roasted well, the flavor of the halwa would be bitter!!
2. Once done, transfer the Chickpea Flour into a dish and keep aside.
3. In the same pan on medium heat, melt the Ghee and add in the chopped Dry Fruits and the shredded Coconut for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add in the Chickpea Flour, Sugar and Heavy Cream. Mix well.
5. Keep mixing to ensure there are no lumps and allow the mixture to come to a boil.
6. Once it starts boiling, reduce the flame to a low and keep cooking till the mixture thickens and leaves the sides. Stir continuously.
7. Meanwhile, grease a tray or a platter to set the halwa in.
8. Once it has thickened and has incorporated well, transfer the mixture onto the greased tray.
9. Garnish with dry fruits or with sliced nuts and allow to set for at least 5 hours, preferably 8 hours.
10. Cut with a sharp greased knife and serve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts