Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some ideas on what bronzers are good for getting a natural glow for the summer months. I have been avoiding the sun in recent years but need some color especially on my face. I am not speaking of self-tanners but of makeup products - powders, creams, sticks, gels, whatever - that can be applied as desired. Thanks!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I am looking for some ideas on what bronzers are good for getting a natural glow for the summer months. I have been avoiding the sun in recent years but need some color especially on my face. I am not speaking of self-tanners but of makeup products - powders, creams, sticks, gels, whatever - that can be applied as desired. Thanks!
Mireckca I have one by Laura Mercier which I use on the face. Its a mosaic luminosite which has a slight shimmer, and gives the face a healthy glow.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Have you tried these before? I bought them after fawnie recommended them. I would give them a

Home Page

You might look and see if Sephora has them, if you don't have a Nordstroms near by. They also have a gel bronzer. Here look at this it gives you a lot of options-

Guerlain Paris : beauty care for the body, women fragrance and men fragrance

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Horse Chestnut Extract!!! OK--In my quest to look tan still I have found this to be the best method! It is essentially a stain so you get stained rather than have some ingredient activate and then slowly exfoliate, evenly or unevenly and then have to reapply etc. This shows where it is going as soon as you apply it, it is good for your skin and veins and you can use it whenever you want/need for an instant bronzing and for an instant colour. I am NO fan of self-tanners but this is something I do recommend. YOU CANNOT handle it though as it will stain your hands. You need to use cotton and just apply it and once it dries it is on pretty much like a stain and you can apply more for darker colour etc. It looks very natural on me too so I assume it will for others and if one area starts to exfoliate you can just dab some more on and instantly touch up.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote: Originally Posted by gymrat

Have you tried these before? I bought them after fawnie recommended them. I would give them a

Home Page

These look way too complicated for me!

Quote: Originally Posted by

You might look and see if Sephora has them, if you don't have a Nordstroms near by. They also have a gel bronzer. Here look at this it gives you a lot of options-

Guerlain Paris : beauty care for the body, women fragrance and men fragrance

Again, too complicated. But thanks for your response. I need to go and check out some bronzers in one shade or two. These mosaic kits are too confusing at least for me.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
OK. Here are some bronzers that I have used with good success (not OOmpaLoompa and easy to use):

Becca Translucent bronzing gel - not shimmering or pearly. Nice sheer gel that builds for more color.

Dr Hauschka Bronzer - a thin liquid that you can add to foundation or sunscreen for more color. Not shimmery or pearly

Clinique Bronzing Powder - comes in different skin tones. Not too shimmery but has some shimmer.

Most of the others I've tried are too orangey or dirty looking. You really have to try a lot of them, since we all have different skins! It might be the acids in our skin that turn them orange. Some blushes make nice bronzers too if you want to look in that direction!

Have a great summer with that faux tan!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
These look way too complicated for me!

Again, too complicated. But thanks for your response. I need to go and check out some bronzers in one shade or two. These mosaic kits are too confusing at least for me.
Complicated? What do you mean? To hard to apply? Or to get the color you want? Explain please-

Hey after all, using any kind of bronzer isn't easy. I have so many, and most the wrong color for me, or they leave me looking blotchy, etc. Using the right brush is important too-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Complicated? What do you mean? To hard to apply? Or to get the color you want? Explain please-
Hey after all, using any kind of bronzer isn't easy. I have so many, and most the wrong color for me, or they leave me looking blotchy, etc. Using the right brush is important too-
Well, the first one is a bunch of small capsules which seem to be different colors, and the second is a bunch of small mosaic tiles of different colors. I would not know where to begin.

I understand that some products may have an orangey color - which I do not want; or they may not blend well - which I also do not want. To me these are the big issues that concerned me in finding a bronzer.

I already have the Benefit blush in Dallas - which is a rose-bronze, which is nice and I may just stick with that unless I find something else. And I do have a good MAC brush so that is not a problem.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Well, the first one is a bunch of small capsules which seem to be different colors, and the second is a bunch of small mosaic tiles of different colors. I would not know where to begin.

I understand that some products may have an orangey color - which I do not want; or they may not blend well - which I also do not want. To me these are the big issues that concerned me in finding a bronzer.

I already have the Benefit blush in Dallas - which is a rose-bronze, which is nice and I may just stick with that unless I find something else. And I do have a good MAC brush so that is not a problem.
No but you see the small capsules are amazing. You just swirl your brush in them and apply it like that. It gives you a hint of all colors, but not orange or too shimmery at all. Same with the mosaic, swirl and apply.

I know exactly what blush you have, I have that as well. Are you applying that all over for color?

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote: Originally Posted by gymrat

No but you see the small capsules are amazing. You just swirl your brush in them and apply it like that. It gives you a hint of all colors, but not orange or too shimmery at all. Same with the mosaic, swirl and apply.

I guess that is what I found confusing. If they are separate colors, and you just swirl them all around anyway, why not just blend them and sell it as a single color?

I know exactly what blush you have, I have that as well. Are you applying that all over for color?

I was using the Dallas strictly as a blush on my cheeks, but this is hardly noticeable anymore since my natural skin tone seems to have darkened from the use of all these acids and exposure to the sun. I was thinking of getting a more golden bronze look for the summer. I seem to be needing different shades of things now for summer vs. winter seasons. I never did before starting the use of all these acids. Grrr-grrr-grrr.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LOL the Summer Stones are just a Guerlain thing, like their Meteorites. Sure they could smoosh it all together and have it be one color, but the perles are more fun somehow! You can take a small brush and pick up some of the gold perle for a highlighter around the eyes, or some of the darker brown for an eye shadow. It makes it customizable!

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
I guess that is what I found confusing. If they are separate colors, and you just swirl them all around anyway, why not just blend them and sell it as a single color?

I was using the Dallas strictly as a blush on my cheeks, but this is hardly noticeable anymore since my natural skin tone seems to have darkened from the use of all these acids and exposure to the sun. I was thinking of getting a more golden bronze look for the summer. I seem to be needing different shades of things now for summer vs. winter seasons. I never did before starting the use of all these acids. Grrr-grrr-grrr.
Lol, yes but look at how much nicer your skin is from using the acids.
some can never be as lucky as us-

Go into Sephora, I am sure they have other bronzers with the little capsules. You have to see them to understand. But honestly, out of all the bronzers I have ever tried, the little capsules take the cake!! You get a nice color from all of them and very suttle but perfect. If that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, yes but look at how much nicer your skin is from using the acids.
some can never be as lucky as us-

Go into Sephora, I am sure they have other bronzers with the little capsules. You have to see them to understand. But honestly, out of all the bronzers I have ever tried, the little capsules take the cake!! You get a nice color from all of them and very suttle but perfect. If that makes sense.
I will check them out at Sephora; good idea! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
OK. Here are some bronzers that I have used with good success (not OOmpaLoompa and easy to use):

Becca Translucent bronzing gel - not shimmering or pearly. Nice sheer gel that builds for more color.

Dr Hauschka Bronzer - a thin liquid that you can add to foundation or sunscreen for more color. Not shimmery or pearly

Clinique Bronzing Powder - comes in different skin tones. Not too shimmery but has some shimmer.

Most of the others I've tried are too orangey or dirty looking. You really have to try a lot of them, since we all have different skins! It might be the acids in our skin that turn them orange. Some blushes make nice bronzers too if you want to look in that direction!

Have a great summer with that faux tan!!
Dr. Hauschka apparently has horse chestnut extract in that too--Fawnie have you tried this product? How does it work? I know Dr. Hauschka products are supposed to be very good. Is it like a stain? That is basically how horse chestnut extract works on the skin. I prefer bronzers to self-tanning as you see what you get as you put it on and with horse chestnut it is more like a dye which I like even more as it lasts.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, I'm going to ask a really stupid question! What's the difference between a bronzer and a getting a spray tan? Won't they both have the same effect?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Not ignorant at all Maha. I'm sure many ppl have this question!
My understanding is that a spray tanner, or self-tanner gives a color to the skin that lasts several days. A bronzer is just a color that washes right off. Generally a bronzer is only used to highlight areas like the cheeks, bridge of nose, collarbones, etc and not all over since that looks too flat. A self-tanner is used all over tho.

I see that Dior has a powder compact bronzer called Collagen-Active Smooth Protection Bronzer that has SPF 15 and anti-ageing properties. $48USD. I bet Sephora has it mireckca!!! We expect a full report!!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote: Originally Posted by fawnie

My understanding is that a spray tanner, or self-tanner gives a color to the skin that lasts several days. A bronzer is just a color that washes right off. Generally a bronzer is only used to highlight areas like the cheeks, bridge of nose, collarbones, etc and not all over since that looks too flat. A self-tanner is used all over tho.

Yes - I would agree with this. When I raised the question it was in reference to something that I could brush on to give my face a natural tan glow. In other words, a summer shade of makeup that mimics a suntan.

I see that Dior has a bronzer called Collagen-Active Smooth Protection Bronzer that has SPF 15 and anti-ageing properties. $48USD. I bet Sephora has it mireckca!!! We expect a full report!!!

Too late! I just returned from my trek - 9 miles walk to the mall and back. Returned stuff that didn't work and got my bulk supplies for the week.

I stopped at the Guerlain counter at the department store and asked to see those magic pearls. Not complicated after all. You swirl a brush in the pot with all of the pearls and do no crush them at all. For the life of me I could not figure out how to decide which pearls to use, and figured that the whole bunch wouldn't last very long if you smashed them for each use. Mystery solved.

So then I went to Sephora, where I have a gift card that I need to use up - not a present but my compensation for returning things w/o a receipt. Now I know to keep everything just in case! Anyway, I looked at different bronzers of the various lines and ended up with a Guerlain Terracotta Light Sheer Bronzing Powder. It is a mosaic with different shades too - with a slight shimmer that is not overpowering. I selected the shade for "blondes" (01).

The straight bronzers looked too ruddy on me, and the Guerlain pearls seemed nice for highlighting, and I was definitely looking for a bronzer. So we'll see how it goes - I'm keeping the receipt just in case.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Hooray!!! See I told you-it really will give you a nice color. Just swirl and apply-

I hope it works out!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Not ignorant at all Maha. I'm sure many ppl have this question!
Thanks for clearing that up!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hooray!!! See I told you-it really will give you a nice color. Just swirl and apply-
I didn't spring for a new brush thinking maybe I could use one that I had already. But I will if I have to in order to apply this bronzer properly. You know, it's a mosaic of colors in a compact. Unlike the pearls, there is no special brush required with this compact.

I have a MUFE kabuki brush and a MAC 129 blush brush. Do you think that either of these would work as well as a bronzer brush? If not, which would work better until I can get the bronzer brush? Thanks for your advice.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts