Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a lot of areas I see people citing products as "proven anti-wrinkle" or some other proven benefit.

I wonder where the word is derived from. A clinical double-blind study? A scientific study on the individual ingredients? Was it paid for by the company who makes it? Is that information even available?

If you have seen or used "proven" to describe a product in the forums, please post your thoughts here, and if you have sources it'd be great to cite them here as well!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Yep research, clinical studies with before and after seeing is believing photos

·
Registered
550 Posts
"Proven" means that the product has an ingredient in the formula that has been researched (the ingredient not the product) with positive test results.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Proven Schmooven. I'll try anything. If it works for me, that's what counts!
I quit buying the glossy fashion mags and I don't go to department store cosmetics counters and I don't watch TV ads, so advertising doesn't have its grip on me the way it used to. I read about what might work on boards like this one.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
"Proven" means that the product has an ingredient in the formula that has been researched (the ingredient not the product) with positive test results.
That still doesn't mean ****. If a product is proven to help acne for example, that could simply mean that out of the 200 pimples on a person's face, they now have 195.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi Freddy, nice to see the abbs again.
What do you think of Quinoa as a protein cereal for breakfast I hear its fantastic.??
Hi in iron magnesium .
Oops sorry just realised, don't want to hijack anything.!!

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Hi Freddy, nice to see the abbs again.
What do you think of Quinoa as a protein cereal for breakfast I hear its fantastic.??
Hi in iron magnesium .
It seems to have a very high carb to protein ratio. So for you to get a decent amount of protein per meal, you'd need about 200 gram serving to get 28 grams of protein, but you'd be consuming 128 grams of carbs. Not exactly ideal ratios.

For comparison, the Muscle Milk I'm consuming right now has 15 grams of carbs and 32 grams of protein. Your protein source isn't bad, but it isn't the best either. I also have a problem with non-animal/dairy derived protein, doesn't seem to be as good as it's "regular" counterpart.

Animal protein vs. Soy Protein is a good example of that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
It seems to have a very high carb to protein ratio. So for you to get a decent amount of protein per meal, you'd need about 200 gram serving to get 28 grams of protein, but you'd be consuming 128 grams of carbs. Not exactly ideal ratios.

For comparison, the Muscle Milk I'm consuming right now has 15 grams of carbs and 32 grams of protein. Your protein source isn't bad, but it isn't the best either. I also have a problem with non-animal/dairy derived protein, doesn't seem to be as good as it's "regular" counterpart.

Animal protein vs. Soy Protein is a good example of that.
Thanks Freddie.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Can I ask what protein your on ??? I need one that is dairy, yeast whey sugar free a lot to ask I suppose??

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Not Freddy, but THIS is what I use. It's vegan and uses hemp, yellow pea and rice protein. It actually tastes good and comes in chocolate, berry and vanilla chai (my favorite). This is a good price for it too.

I don't sell it or am in any way affiliated with it.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Sorry Nat "proven" means nothing to me. Everybody is different, everyone reacts differently so there is nothing that is "proven" . In my eyes it just means someone is pullin' at straws trying to sell something at an outrageous price!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm pleasantly surprised to see these responses.

I know the mystical world of ad-creators still benefit from the use of that word, but it's nice to see people with some sense here. Good stuff.

The FTC released an update last month that allows them to really crack down on products who use the "Proven (ingredient in the) Product!" line. It's both good to see them stepping up to cut down on the crap in the market, but also scary how expensive it will be for new products that are worth-while to get the backing they need to launch and decent campaign.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Having worked for a raw material supplier for years, I know for a fact that we we "proved" something work, we really proved it. In order to do so, we usually farmed out the formula that I created to an independent dermatologist. We had two goals in mind, one, to prove that our formula with our ingredient worked better than anything the competition makes. And two, to patent any formula that showed extreme promise. When we found something that did work, and work well, we made the "proven" claim, and we had the clinical testing to back it up. And it was strong enough usually to apply for a patent. There is no funny business here.... if it did not work, or worked just a little, we usually abandoned the idea as not good enough. Most of the big cosmetic houses DON'T do this. If they see any improvement whatsoever, even a 1% improvement, they will claim "proven" and run with it. Abreva, the "cold sore" medication is just like that. We found some "natural" raw materials that worked well against the envelope 1 virus, and was proven to lessen the duration of an outbreak BETTER than Abreva. The ONLY reason Abreva is allowed to make the claim that they are "proven" against outbreaks is because their "research" found that it reduced the duration of the outbreak from 10 days on average to just 9! Big Deal!!

So, there you have it, some opinions from inside the industry.

Hope this helps,

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, I have just read the promotional info on the Apple Stem Cell Extract. I have heard of this material just recently. I have not worked with it, nor have I studied it very much. I must say that I do use ingredients from the Mibelle corporation and those ingredients are good, so that is a strong point already. Trust in the company's products.

I don't want you to put too much weight on my "opinion" here since I really haven't worked with this material but I will comment on a couple of things.

First, it is an "extract" which means the true active material will probably be in a mixture of ingredients loaded at a very small amount.... and then the company recommends loading that mixture at 2% to 5%. So really, how much active is your skin going to see? That's my first concern.

Next, they talk about getting this material from a "rare swiss apple".... "rare and endangered species". Now, read between the lines here. If this apple extract is the holy grail of anti-wrinkle and cell longevity, then where are they going to get the humongous supply of "rare swiss apples" to keep up with the demand which would surely come??!! They would run out of raw materials quickly and/or the environmental groups would come down like a ton of bricks on the company that would use up all the rare apples..... you get what I mean. This type of language makes for good "spin" and sounds compelling.... but do you think they truly expect they will need a huge supply? Perhaps the "demand" won't be so great if the results aren't so great.... and they are betting on that? (my opinion of course).

Finally, I don't like the way companies talk about "liposomes" and liposomal" preparations. All this means, in real world terms, is oil droplets in water that make a milky emulsion. That is no big deal, but it "sounds" fantastic doesn't it? So the active is in an oil droplet in water emulsion.... so is most every other cream or lotion on the market with actives in it.

So, I'm a little sceptical as you can see. I'll keep my eye on it and see if something gets written, or if any double blind or peer reviewed studies are done. Otherwise, I would not go with it based on this marketing type spin alone.

Hope this helps,

John

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Can I ask what protein your on ??? I need one that is dairy, yeast whey sugar free a lot to ask I suppose??
Unfortunately the protein I'm taking would probably not benefit you. I'm taking QuickMass right now, as I was cutting for a competition and decided not to compete because of renovations to a new house that I'm doing. As a result of that I decided to bulk instead.

QuickMass is four large scoops per serving and contains over 1,000 calories per serving.

As I previously stated the other protein I'm taking right now is Muscle Milk, but at five dollars a serving that's alot more expensive than the other stuff, but tastes much better.

If you want the best possible protein look for Isolate Protein of any brand. It's as pure as it gets.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts