Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I don't know about most potent or deepest penetrating, but Skincauticals CE Ferulic would be my pick due to reputation and the studies done on it at Duke University.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I have used some of the Skinceuticals products and they worked better than anything else BEFORE I tried AND FOUND RA and DIY vit C.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
sorry, I have used the Skinceuticals products for a year before and I believe that their products are superior than DIY vitamin C serums only because it is formulated thorougly with preservatives and Vitamin E that can make it work on your skin all day because vitamin E recycles vitamin C so they both work together for longer periods of time (generally u only need to apply once in the morning with skinceuticals). With the DIY Vitamin C serum, you cant add vitamin E b/c vitamin E is fat soluble and vit. C is water soluble so even if you shook it really well it still wouldnt be emulsified the same way as a ready made product fomulated in industrial machines with preservatives. The ferulic also helps the skinceutical serum last and work on ur skin longer.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I only used the Skinceutical Retinol .01. No other retinol brand gave me the results that Skinceuticals did. I love how the DIY C brightens my skin when I first put it on then a rosy glow soon after. I use the recipe with jojoba oil. Don't know about Cellex never tried it. So in short the difference in my opinion is price but as far as product brands go I would go with Skinceuticals.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
sorry, I have used the Skinceuticals products for a year before and I believe that their products are superior than DIY vitamin C serums only because it is formulated thorougly with preservatives and Vitamin E that can make it work on your skin all day because vitamin E recycles vitamin C so they both work together for longer periods of time (generally u only need to apply once in the morning with skinceuticals). With the DIY Vitamin C serum, you cant add vitamin E b/c vitamin E is fat soluble and vit. C is water soluble so even if you shook it really well it still wouldnt be emulsified the same way as a ready made product fomulated in industrial machines with preservatives. The ferulic also helps the skinceutical serum last and work on ur skin longer.
Humm....have you tried to make Kassys current C serum with jojoba yet?
Many, including myself, have made this serum and had no issues with the blending of C and E. That being said, it is not my favorite C serum. I am a believer in using preservatives such as phenoxyethanol and penetration enhancers. There will always be a "crap shoot" element to DIY.

Here's a couple of recipes that mimic Skinceuticals CE Ferulic.

Topical Vitamin C - ImmInst.org Forums

Buy Ferulic Acid: Unmatched broad spectrum antioxidant protection.

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I have made Kassy's serum with the jojoba which also has vit E in it. I haven't had a problem getting it to mix. Just a good shake before I apply it is all it takes for me.

Explain a little more, why you think you can't or shouldn't mix the E with the C. I am very interested. I understand that one is fat soluble and the other is water soluble. That part I do understand.

I also don't think Kassy would give out a recipe if it didn't jive. I have used it for a couple weeks now. It is pretty moisturizing, which I like, and I am sure it isn't for everyone, but for me, so far it is a winner.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LNL,
Could you help us find a way then to emulsify the oils into the serum?

I'm not concerned about preservatives since I use my serum up within a couple weeks. Also, the form of E that I use is a preservative, I believe:
Covi-Ox T 50 - Lotioncrafter LLC

Or am I deluding myself?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
I will look hard for a way for it to emulsify, but there is one thing I do know about how they emulsify the vitamin E in brand name vitamin C serums, after they add the preservatives they pour it in tubes and place them in a centrifugal machine and that machine rotates at an extremely high speed which force the molecules to bind and mesh together.

Skin | care | talk

·
Administrator
33,844 Posts
I will look hard for a way for it to emulsify, but there is one thing I do know about how they emulsify the vitamin E in brand name vitamin C serums, after they add the preservatives they pour it in tubes and place them in a centrifugal machine and that machine rotates at an extremely high speed which force the molecules to bind and mesh together.
This makes sense to me. Sure wish I had one of those fancy machines that rotates at an extremely high speed-

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have no problems using Kassy's DIY vit c serum. I went away on vacation and took my SkinCeuticals vit c serum because I thought it would keep longer. To be honest I didn't notice any difference at all between the two of them!! For the money I will keep using the DIY because I see no difference at all. Next time I go on vacation I will put a preservative in it so I don't have to worry it going bad in 4 weeks. I do know it is working because my skin.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
OK what I've found out about mixing oil and water is that they are oppositely charged, so no amount of mixing will totally emulsify them and keep them in solution. They need an emulsifier to do this. Some examples are:

Emulsifier Ingredients for DIY Skin Care

I just shake the DIY jojoba serum well before using. It gets mixed on my skin anyway...who cares if it's not pretty in the bottle? Kassy's serum is much more moisturizing, as gymrat also noted, and not as drying IMO.

Skin | care | talk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts