Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's impossible for flawless skin...but I can't find foundation that makes my skin very smooth...

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
You could try using a primer.
Do you exfoliate before applying your products? that will help!
Applying foundation with a trowel won't give you that smooth look - only meticulous skin care will!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Yeah, I would have said a primer too. I use a Clarins one and if fills out pores with some kind of pearl extract. I really like it.

Also, there is a post about it somewhere, using a 187 [or some have said they do a cheaper one in Target] helps to reduce the look of pores.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Well foundation alone won't give you smooth skin. You have to use a gentle exfoliator, good non-greasy moisturizer (but not necessary oil free), and maybe a primer if you have fine lines or pores.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Definitely good skincare to begin with will help immensely. No amount of the perfect foundation will make your skin look flawless without exfoliation. You of course want to use a gentle exfoliator. If you're on a budget you can make your own at home by mixing equal amounts extra virgin olive oil with sugar. Gently wet your face and then apply the mixture in a circular motion for approximately 3 minutes. Rinse with warm, not hot water. Then apply your sunscreen and moisturizer. If you want additional help with the flawless look apply a primer first as this will give your foundation a smooth surface to adhere to. I always recommend Laura Mercier's primer.

In addition, if you want to achieve a flawless look with your foundation choose one that has very good pigment. RCMA has tremendous foundations that will even cover tattoos. I have RCMA foundations in my professional kit as they are best known for their use in print and film, I use nothing else on my clients for shoots. Yes, they are a bit heavy but can be used on a daily basis as well. You can find RCMA at camerareadycosmetics.com

In general remember foundations with a lot of pigment offer up the best coverage for a flawless look.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Fabulous website danipage! But how on earth does one go about finding the right shade in RCMA? I see that they offer sample sizes for $3.99 but I don't see a shade that even remotely looks like me in spite of the comparison chart:
http://www.camerareadycosmetics.com/...nCompChart.pdf

I've heard of Graftobian....what do you think of it as an everyday foundation for those of us not in the trade?

You apply your sunscreen over your moisturizer, correct?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Fawnie!

Always apply sunscreen FIRST..........consider this, chemical sunscreens absorb UV rays and neutralize them in the skin tissues, so sunscreen should be applied to clean, bare skin first because in order to be effective, it must interact with our skin cells.

Keep in mind that your skin reacts the best to whatever you have applied first. Protection from nasty UV rays, free radical damage, and prevention of getting melasma is number one on my list! You will also find dermatologists agree in applying sunscreen first.

So, here is the order in which you should apply your topicals:

1. Sunscreen
2. Moisturizer
3. Primer

Also if you use a cream sunscreen you may be able to skip your moisturizer altogether. It is your personal preference.

Quite honestly I have had no direct hands on experience with Graftobian to give an educated answer to your question. I have always used RCMA with my clients and haven't looked back.

I hear ya on the color swatches they show, pretty awful indeed. I recommend the Shinto's. They have the most warmth in them (yellow undertones) even if you have pink undertones you always want to warm up the skin and not make it more pink. Although you will have to find a very light/paler color of a yellow undertone if you have pale skin with the pink undertones. So if you do Shinto (I) would even be too dark and I would suggest going with Ivory (if you are really pale) otherwise Olive 1 or 2 will get the job done quite nicely. I love love the Shintos though. If you are starting a kit I would recommend Shinto I, II, Olive I and III (you can always mix I and III to get your Olive II) you save money this way by purchasing one less foundation for your kit!

Please let me know if this helped at all regarding the color swatches, if not I can take some pics of the Olives and Shinto foundation I have for you perhaps it will show you a clearer swatch.

Have a blessed day!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh and another thing Fawnie if you do decide to order you get fast, reliable shipping their customer service is awesome. When I first started out as a makeup artist I ordered from another company, but later in 2004 I was in dire straits as I was hired to do the makeup for the entertainment at the Superbowl that year in Jacksonville, FL. The Black Eyed Peas were performing and I had to be prepared if I was one of the artists that ended up doing their makeup. Well guess what? I had no foundation for African Americans. Shintos weren't gonna cut it. So Mary Erickson (founder of camera ready cosmetics) was really kind of just starting out because back then she didn't have half the RCMA she does now. I actually got to speak to her on the phone, told her my dilemma and that I needed this makeup FAST. It was late in the afternoon and she was even at home........and physically took the makeup to the UPS store herself and overnighted that stuff to me quick!! Can you believe that ? This woman is so sweet and I am happy to see that she has expanded her business to what it is now. She is a pleasure doing business with and I recommend her to anybody!!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
thx to all the above danipage!
Ok, once again, tunning in kinda late.

So, I am going to camerareadycosmetics and looking for RCMA?

How am I doing so far? Oh ya and I apply my moisturizer after my SS if I even use one at all, moisturizer that is.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Ok, I have been waiting for HOURS now fawnie!! Where did you go?
Please come back lets go shopping-

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Danipage-

Ok, I too cannot find a color remotely close to my skin tone. I am more of an olive complextion. It usually take me 2 foundation colors to get my match. Yes, I am one of those types-

Also, is the thinner a necessary process when using the RCMA? Or does it make it too greasy?

How is the finish of this foundation? Matte, dewy, etc?

Thank you for all this info, it is a great makeup site, and I think the fawnster and I will get lost looking. Oh just what we needed, another product junkie to help us with our sickness-

Is there such a thing as having too much makeup to choose from?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi Gymrat-

It's really sad that these swatches being put up of RCMA are really awful. Alcone sells RCMA on their site as well (for same price) and unfortunately have the same awful swatches to choose from!

Ok so let me see you say you are more of an olive complexion, do you consider yourself to have pale, medium or deep toned skin? If you have pale get olive I, medium get Olive II and deep get olive III. Although with olive (yellow undertones) you may be able to still sport the Shintos depending how dark you are.

Let me know what tone you are and I can better help you decide. Again, as Fawnie mentioned you can get samples for 3.99. The thinner will definitely help make these foundations a bit more wearable on a daily basis and will give you a dewey finish. You will not get a matte finish using these either with out without thinner. If you happen to have extremely oily skin you will probably want to steer clear of this foundation or just use it for those occasions where you absolutely need superior and I mean superior coverage!!!! I tend to be on the oilier side and it still works for me just fine. You can just make sure you carry some oil blotting tissues with you.

I also suggest blotting the foundation after you have initially applied if you plan on using a powder to set it. I always suggest blotting any foundation (that's not matte) prior to applying powder, it helps deter that "globby, cakey look". Anytime you put something dry like powder over top something moist it will look cakey.

Hopefully this has helped. Also if you tend to get a bit darker in summer time you can order olive I and olive III. This way you can use Olive III in summer and then mix olive I and III in fall/winter to give you olive II results.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey all x I like the idea of laura merciers primer..but does it contain spf?
Im using mac spf 50 primer at the moment, and its also oil free and gives me a silky finish before i apply foundation (im a revlon girl) - its just very expensive.

also, i agree that exfoliation is key, using ahas will also help speed up process - (and for really bad acne, do not underestimate the power of differin
, worked or me)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi ninasky

No Laura Mercier's primer does not have SPF but I would like to point out that it does contain vitamins A,C and E. There are three primers she has. One is the regular primer that she came out with in 1995 that was specifically designed for oily skin/acne prone. Then she came out with the her hydrating primer and she also has a mineral makeup primer which, by the way DOES have an SPF of 15.

However most foundations contain SPF anyhow or if you're like me, I apply a straight up sunscreen on my face to begin with before anything else. Although it's nice to be able to cut down on the amounts of products we put on our face so if your using MAC's with an SPF of 50 it's probably the more convenient choice for you.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
I got a 5-color palette of Graftobian Hi-Def Creme Foundation from camerareadycosmetics.com and I am blown away!

By mixing 2 of the colors I get a perfect match! I mix a tinytiny bit with my Xtend-life moisturizer on the back of my hand and dab it all over my face with a synthetic concealer brush. Then blend in well with my fingers. I mix a bit with my eye cream and use that as concealer. It's very versatile and can be mixed to any consistency for variable coverage from light to medium-full. Very creamy but not greasy and sets to a natural finish for me. Depending on what you mix it with I think the possibilities are endless as to finish and coverage.
I buff my skin after cleansing with an NCNProSkincare microfiber cloth and apply sunscreen, then Smashbox primer, then Graftobian.
I don't set it with powder but it still lasts all day. Not caky and doesn't slide off. A perfect 10.
The palette is only $20USD.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel so out of it. I hadn't even heard of primer. And I used to work in the makeover photography business. But that was years and years ago.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm a huge fan of Bare Minerals. Its so good for your skin you can sleep in it and leaves you with a flawless complexion with out looking like you have makeup caked on! Also, concealing zits or marks with this product works better than anything else I have ever tried!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts