Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't about skin care but it refers to aging. As people get older, I noticed even those in their mid-30s, posture starts to deteriorate.

One tip that was given to me was to assess your posture by pretending you were close to a person with very bad breath. You will straighten up and pull your shoulders back. So remember the expression "bad breath" it does help.

Any other tips?

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
LOL, but don't make the face that goes with it!!!!

Yes, good posture is the best way to maintain a healthy youthful look. It eliminates the double chin, the wrinkly turkey neck and the saggy shoulders and hunched back that scream "MEDICARE RECIPIENT!!!!"

It helps the healthy flow of lymph too.

I think it comes from deep within too: if you have a negative sour attitude, how can you possibly cover it up with cosmetics? Think of putting lipstick on a lemon!! Be sweet or be silent!

Too much makeup signals old age to me. A rigid "helmet head" hairdo. Too much jewelry. Squeezing into clothes that are too tight, too young, too out of date. Or just "giving up" and not taking any pains at all to look like you care. Being natural is one thing, but being unkempt is quite another. I try to practice good grooming even if I'm just staying home with my cat and my husband. Though they wouldn't mention it if I stayed in my jammies all day.

Good thread Mari!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
168 Posts

Yes, good posture is the best way to maintain a healthy youthful look. It eliminates the double chin, the wrinkly turkey neck and the saggy shoulders and hunched back that scream "MEDICARE RECIPIENT!!!!"

I think it comes from deep within too: if you have a negative sour attitude, how can you possibly cover it up with cosmetics? Think of putting lipstick on a lemon!! Be sweet or be silent!

Too much makeup signals old age to me. A rigid "helmet head" hairdo. Too much jewelry. Squeezing into clothes that are too tight, too young, too out of date. Or just "giving up" and not taking any pains at all to look like you care. Being natural is one thing, but being unkempt is quite another. I try to practice good grooming even if I'm just staying home with my cat and my husband. Though they wouldn't mention it if I stayed in my jammies all day.

Good thread Mari!
I totally agree with you on this. All those are oh so true. Its funny because I try to stay groomed and my husband asks why? I'm like just because I have two kids and I'm a stay at home mom doesn't mean I can't look my best. Also why is it that men tend to look good as they age? Is it just me or is this true?

·
Registered
576 Posts

Good thread Mari!
Great post, Fawnie!

These are really true. I could envision every single one of them. Smells too. When I smell a strong dose of department store counter perfume, I can bet that when I look up I'll see exactly who was just described above. I'm not sure why though. A little bit goes such a longgggg way!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You hit every point accurately fawnie. Cosmetics -- I see many older women wearing too much blusher and too vibrant lipstick; the older you get few people have the natural pigmentation to complement this high definition.

You should change your hairdo and maybe your hairdresser at least every two - three years. Make a visit to book an appointment but look at the kind of hairdos the operators are turning out; I usually opt for one of the younger hairstylists.

Jewelry -- I often wonder if some women wear their jewelry anticipating they'll need brass knuckles.

Clothes -- scan Vogue and a fashion magazine that is associated with the younger crowd; see the familiarities but be judgemental. Better still go shopping with your daughter or young friend. If the both of you choose similiar clothes -- there's a problem.

You are so dead on about practising good grooming -- once you look your best for the day you're ready for anything.

Perfume is being outlawed in a lot of places up here -- too many people with allergies.

Most of all look feminine.

Hey! I saw a video (maybe it's on youtube) of an 80 year old doing the salsa -- she looked 80 but wow her moves made you forget.

Make a list of 25 things you want to do sometime -- if you accomplish at least 4 a year you're a winner.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, we forgot to mention hands. I always notice another person's hands. Think of the impression hands make meeting a new person.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
That's right! The smell of old age: Estee Lauder Youth Dew and mothballs. How can I ever forget it!

And the hands! Whatever you use on your face, use it on your hands too! Retin-A, vit C, sunblock, and the BabyQ! Also massage the backs to stimulate collagen and plump them up.

Great thread!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually have some moisturizer left over from my face and it always ends up on my right elbow -- which is soft I guess because of this. My left elbow is another story -- this is proof I guess that moisturizers work. Elbows are ugly too.

I use Vit.C and another skin lightening formula for a large brown spot I've had on my face for years (developed after I had the dermabrasion done). The excess product goes on my freckled right arm. The product(s) work on my arm but not on my face. ???

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Why it works on your arm and not your face? My guess is they are 2 different types of spots! Melasma is very difficult to treat and comes back when you quit treating it. I think there is another thread on this board about it, so they prob have more valid info that would help.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great attitude makes you feel young...nutritious foods and drinks help your skin stay nice and elastic and tight. Posture helps because it makes you look confidant. Look for high anti oxidant juices like Goji of Amla. they work great and really work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Vitamin supplementation has been crucial for me to stay and feel my best. You can never do enough research on this subject, as most of us are not getting enough of the nutrients we desperately need in our diet and when we suffer the symptoms of this deficiency, we simply think we are getting sick and pop a pain reliever.

For skin, ALWAYS moisturize with the correct moisturizer for your type. This to me is far more important than sun protection, as many skin experts are now saying we are overdoing it with the sunscreen as it blocks Vit. D formation which is crucial for our health. Also, exfoliation is crucial for facial skin to maintain a youthful appearance, and doing it regularly is important. Last but not least, find a good eye cream, as the eyes are the first thing to shows signs of aging on the face. I have been doing all these things since I was a teenager and most people guess my age at 12-15 years younger than what it really is.

Daily exercise is also crucial, but it doesn't have to be hard or brutal. A simple walk on the treadmill or around your block for 30 minutes a day will do, as will hopping on a bike -just do something of moderate activity for 30 minutes a day. Yoga is also wonderful to keep you limber, and I love doing it.

Hope this helps, and good luck to you!

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Hi LaDonna & welcome!
Good post! We absolutely do need some sunlight! Just so we don't overdo it, we only need 15 minutes of direct sunlight a day to form vitamin D....not a whole day!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sunlight? what's that? I get my Vit. D from a bottle along with magnesium. Groundhog day next week.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
A quality photostable sunscreen is your front line shield in the prevention of photoaging. Supplement with vitamin D. In gel caps for best absorption unless taken with a fatty meal. I take around 5000 IUs daily and have not gotten the once a year cold I used to get. Vitamin D is turning out to be a real superstar in the supplement world.
It's actually a hormone rather than a vitamin. Do a google on 5000iu of vitamin D.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Did someone already mention posture ...I think so but I'll say it again ....

I was observing a woman and her form on the elliptical machine yesterday at the gym and I thought she might be about 50 or 60. But later on when I saw her face I saw that she was about my age. She had good skin!

Her upper back, shoulders and neck were all hunched over like a turkey vulture. I am hoping that I'm not being insensitive and she doesn't have osteoporosis or another condition, but ... pulling her hip bones up, dropping her shoulder blades, and lengthening her neck more or less in line with her tailbone would make her body look easily 20 years younger. She could be just stunning!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi DL -- my first post was about posture -- which made me think of this thread. As you mentioned in your post, the posture of the woman next to you aged her 20 years. This goes for men too.

Something else that helps is keeping current with what's happening around you. A lot of even middle-aged people start to live in the past.

Don't start a sentence with "when I was going to school.... (or whatever)"

Love yourself! This may be difficult for some people but everyone has accomplished something unique -- from baking the best brownies, volunteering, excelling at their job.

Another one of my thoughts is to do something daring -- I've always wanted to river raft and maybe this year I will.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hmm. Tricky question! I guess when I oil my hair and put on baggy and grey clothes without wearing make-up, I definitely look older.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts