Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pumi is right about staying away from sun. But you've asked a very broad question. What are you trying to accomplish? Of course there are many things to not put on your skin, like anthrax and other poisons. If you could elaborate on your skin type and what you would like to see changed in your skin I think we'd better be able to help you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is true, sorry my question was very general.

I guess this would be in regards to the different acid based products or retin a..

Also,

I am a very outdoors person, especially during the summer. I guess I will have to make sure I use the proper sunscreen there.

So I have do tan maybe once a week in the winter time. Is that an issue?

·
Registered
316 Posts
If you are tanning for SAD (seasonal affective disorder) make sure that you wear sunscreen on your face AND back of your hands and place a towel over your face.

You could start experimenting with acids for exfoliation (salicylic for oily/acneic skin and lactic/glycolic for dry/mature skin). Retin-a would be something to go on when you stop tanning altogether, you could cause your skin a lot of damage by tanning and using RA. Retin-a is best for aging skin.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
My son's ex began using RA for acne about 3 weeks ago and I swear, her skin looks amazingly better! She is 23. I have urged her to use sunscreen and I hope she is. The improvement in her skin is incredible.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi there,

I recently posted the following. I read an article in a national newspaper and it directly relates to women of your age.

The headline leapt out at me – “ Many young women today use creams to slow the ageing process. But could they actually be speeding it up?â€

The thrust of the article was "too many young women are already using anti-aging products. According to very recent research, a third of women under the age of 25 are regularly applying products meant for the over-40â€2122s"
Some experts say that not only are these young women wasting their money on things they donâ€2122t need, but horrifyingly, they could actually be damaging their skin permanently.

For a start, creams designed for older skins can be heavy and, when applied to younger ones, cause problems.

These heavier creams can clog the pores and cause itchy red lumps. While this sort of mild infection is temporary and can usually be cleared up with an over-the-counter topical antibiotic, itâ€2122s when young women use creams that have high concentrations of ingredients such as retinoids [derivatives of retinol, a form of vitamin A and AHAâ€2122s [alpha-hydoxy acid compounds like glycolic acid and lactic acid] that the problems really start.
These compounds are included in anti-aging products because they basically break down the top layer of your skin, increasing the rate at which skin renews itself.

In older skin, the benefits of inflicting deliberate damage to the outer layers of the skin outweigh the negatives, as it helps you speed up cell turnover, a process that slows with age, and evens out uneven skin tone.

But with younger skin, which is less resilient, youâ€2122re corrupting the skinâ€2122s natural water-retaining protective function for no-good reason.
Younger skin will react badly to these active ingredients because it much more sensitive. That can result in irritation – redness, itching, flaking and so on.

However, more worrying than simple irritation is the long term damage that could result from uninformed use of retinoids and AHAs. For example, because these compounds damage the outer layer of the skin, they increase skin photosensitivity, leaving the skin far more susceptible to sun damage.

I'm sure that a lot of the regular contributors to the Skin Care Forums are continually seeing younger women writing in and asking for advice on the issue of using anti-aging products on their young, delicate skin.

Sorry to everyone for repeating myself but the simple answer is don't. Keep things simple if your young.

Best wishes,

redrose

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
That is true, sorry my question was very general.

I guess this would be in regards to the different acid based products or retin a..

Also,

I am a very outdoors person, especially during the summer. I guess I will have to make sure I use the proper sunscreen there.

So I have do tan maybe once a week in the winter time. Is that an issue?
Yes get the right sunscreen dialed in first. Vitamin C serum and Tretinoin used correctly will serve you well at your age. Just be sun smart about it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

I guess thats what Im looking for ......the right sunscreen.

I know each user will have diff benefits but....which ones are the best? Murad, Neutrogena, Loreal? ...which is the best one you can buy from an Ulta or like Amazon? SPF 30?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stay away from too much sun exposure and sunbeds!
This is absolutely the truth. The sun can wreak havoc on your skin. Also, try your best to eliminate stress. Workout often, focus on good nutrition and it can never hurt to start early with a good skin care regimen.

Hope this helps!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts