Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I think everyone by now has heard and read the importance of Vitamin C serum, thanks in part to this site. I just started to make my own Vitamin C, with the help of all the fine people on this site. Recipes are posted on other threads on how to make, but I thought It would be nice, if we used this as a kind of "real results" thread.

I cannot comment on what it has done for my skin, as I just started. I would love to hear from others first hand (as I'm sure other readers would) on how this has helped to improve your skin......how long before seeing visual results, how many times a day you use, how much of it you use and when do you apply it (A.M. or P.M)

I cant even begin to tell you how much of a blessing this site has been for me. I have only been a member for a short time and unfortunately I really do not have much knowledge to share., but I do spend many hours reading what others have taken the time to share... I would like to thank the others who take the time to post their reviews, share their wisdom AND answer questions from others (Lord knows I personally have many lol) THANK YOU ALL

Look forward to hearing from you!!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
This is the 6th month I've been using my DIY C serum. I cant say when exactly I noticed, but my forehead used to have very small lines on it that have basically vanished. It kinda looks like I sandblasted my forehead.....lol....in a good way.
I noticed the extra "Glow" in my skin pretty soon after I started. Skin was in great shape before I started so nothing major.

I just use it once a day in the morning under my sunscreen and anti-oxidant cocktail.
I use around 1ml per day. I also use it on my hands and sometimes arms.

My routine for using it............cleanse with a cleanser that is 5.5ph or lower so I dont have to wait. Apply C serum........wait around 20 minutes.......then apply my anti-oxidant/moisturizer cocktail (a work in progress).....wait maybe 5 minutes....then apply sunscreen............glad to be a guy cause I'd hate to have to deal with make-up.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I've been using the C serum for about four months now and Retin-A for seven months. I don't know what results to attribute to which product. Both have an exfoliant effect that gives my skin a healthy glow, and both are reducing the appearance of lines (which are really only on my forehead).

I like Peri's description of his forehead - mine is exactly the same. I was looking at it the other day, at an angle, in the mirror, in just the right light, and it was incredibly smooth and shiny looking - "sandblasted" is an accurate description of it.

Amount of C serum (15-20%) used - every morning, enough to cover my face, neck, and hands and lower arms, so a dropper full or so. These are the areas that have been and continue to be exposed to the sun.

In addition, I use a C spritzer (Vitamin C and distilled water, 15%) three times a week or so on the rest of me, as much as I can reach.

Sometimes when I am home all day and freshen up later in the afternoon, either after exercise or just to stay awake, I will reapply the C serum - just to my face, and then reapply moisturizer and/or oils.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Well I am going on my 4th month of using my DIY C serum. Before making my own, I was using Skinceuticals and Sesderma's C serum. I too make about 15-20% serum. It has definately helped lighten and brighten my face. I had a few dark spots, not large, that have either been exfoliated away or lighten to the point of no return-
I feel it has helped my complexion a ton.

I will tell you, one example is, when I was taking Accutane for 5 months, I could not use a THING on my skin except a mild cleanser and lotion. Nothing else!!! I am a product junkie as you all now by know, so this was VERY hard for me. I did it and made it through my 5 months. So, since January, I have been back at it using all my stuff and adding a ton along the way. Having not used any C serum for 5 months and then to start again........WOW. I have finally got my glow back that I was lacking, my pores are starting to shrink again, and I love the exfoliation I get from the C serum. I apply it in the AM, only for the last month. Before that I applied it in the PM. Just this week I started applying 2 times a day-since peri gave us the go ahead-bless that baby!!

Retin-A.........I have used it for too long. I used it for acne before, now I use it for fine lines and wrinkles. I haven't had to use it for acne since last summer-June to be exact, I started Accutane in late July!! My plan was to be acne free by Feb, for my 40th bday which I was!!!!

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well I am going on my 4th month of using my DIY C serum. Before making my own, I was using Skinceuticals and Sesderma's C serum. I too make about 15-20% serum. It has definately helped lighten and brighten my face. I had a few dark spots, not large, that have either been exfoliated away or lighten to the point of no return-
I feel it has helped my complexion a ton.

I will tell you, one example is, when I was taking Accutane for 5 months, I could not use a THING on my skin except a mild cleanser and lotion. Nothing else!!! I am a product junkie as you all now by know, so this was VERY hard for me. I did it and made it through my 5 months. So, since January, I have been back at it using all my stuff and adding a ton along the way. Having not used any C serum for 5 months and then to start again........WOW. I have finally got my glow back that I was lacking, my pores are starting to shrink again, and I love the exfoliation I get from the C serum. I apply it in the AM, only for the last month. Before that I applied it in the PM. Just this week I started applying 2 times a day-since peri gave us the go ahead-bless that baby!!

Retin-A.........I have used it for too long. I used it for acne before, now I use it for fine lines and wrinkles. I haven't had to use it for acne since last summer-June to be exact, I started Accutane in late July!! My plan was to be acne free by Feb, for my 40th bday which I was!!!!
Wrong baby...I only
use mine in the morning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So glad to hear all of the positive reviews, it makes me even more hopeful. Hopefully in the near future, I too can rave about the results. I will be moving on to to Taz, so hopefully that along with the C serum may give me the boost I have so needed. I do have to admit that I am starting to notice some smoothness between my eyebrows (I guess the frown lines) I do not know if this is due to Green Cream or the C serum or both. I hope I can undo the years of sun-abuse and sun damaged skin......

Thanks again guys......its encouraging
:

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Wrong baby...I only
use mine in the morning.
No you are the right baby, you posted a very informative link about Vit C saying it was ok to apply 2xs a day!! Come on now peri, I know what I read, I can always count on you to make sure I get my reading in for the day!

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Also Mom don't ever feel like you don't have much knowledge. You have more than you give yourself credit for. You know that you have sun damaged skin, and most won't even admit to that!!

Also, I just love when you post because I get a kick out of your avatar, I love Buckwheat. Actually, I just love all the Little Rascals.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Retin-A.........I have used it for too long. I used it for acne before, now I use it for fine lines and wrinkles.
Gymrat - do you find that the skin in areas where you used the Retin-A for acne are "less-aged" than other parts of your face?

I am wondering how long one can use Retin-A and still get the anti-aging benefits. We know that the skin adjusts to it; I wonder if it adjusts so that there is no effect from it anymore.

Has anyone see studies on the efficacy of Retin-A used over the long-term?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Gymrat - do you find that the skin in areas where you used the Retin-A for acne are "less-aged" than other parts of your face?

I am wondering how long one can use Retin-A and still get the anti-aging benefits. We know that the skin adjusts to it; I wonder if it adjusts so that there is no effect from it anymore.

This was discussed over at immort.org some time ago but it is deep in some thread.
The main thing that comes to my mind is how retin-a is helping repair the damage that your sunscreen let through everyday. That is huge to say the least.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts

Hi Mireckca-

When I used Retin-A for my acne, it was just a spot treatment, I never really applied it all over my face. I had cystic acne, so I would apply it where ever I felt a bump coming. Never really worked stopping the acne anyways-LOL. Plus, I really just tried so many different topicals, I pretty much gave up on all of them, when it came to my acne.

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
YES!!!! I have battled with this for SO/TOO long and my derm recommended Accutane 5 or more years ago and I said no. All I can say is I WISH I would have done it sooner. If you have acne at all, then you can understand how HAPPY I am to wake up every morning, and have NOT ONE ZIT!!!! I haven't had ONE since December. There were times when I would not go to a social event because of my face. Sad, but so true. Accutane cleared me up!!

How long have you had cystic acne? Cystic to wear it never comes to a head and just hurts like a mother, and is red and inflammed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mom, your thread gives me encouragement to attempt the DIY serum. I realise the recipe has been posted a few times but it seems to differ sometimes. Is this the latest (revised) posted by fawnie in Jan 2009:
1/4 tspn L-abscorbic acid crystals (ensure ultra fine);
30ml distilled water
1/4tspn rosehip seed oil
Check ph is <3.5

Do you add the gel from 1 lecithin capsule?
Do you add Vit E - in the form of 1 capsule contents?
Do you add 1/2tspn vodka - or is this to help dissolve Ferulic Acid (if the latter is added)??

I also had another recipe (from this thread) which also had MAP, FA, Sea Kelp Bioferment, glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid and kukui oil. Being in Australia, I may find it harder to locate some ingredients. I did look at garden of wisdom but found it a little confusing as to which item I really needed.

Do you make it in small batches and keep refrigerated?
I know it should be kept in a brown or dark blue bottle.
Many thanks for everyone's responses and patience.

·
Registered
353 Posts
gymrat, got your PM but I can't reply likewise till I have 15 posts.. :-(

You mentioned reading some at EDS, and I'd just refer you to this thread which I think will answer all of your questions. (Many recipe's for every skin concern are throughout!)

Okay, had to edit since I can't post links yet either.. Argh! (I'm having an awful time figuring this site out.)

Go to EDS, and look up the thread named; "Dr Kassy's Face Firming + Eye Cream".. (you'll find it easily in the "Skincare Tools + DIY Skincare" forum, or also in the "Daily Topics")

To sum it up, the recipe I posted yesterday for Vitamin C serum, is really superb.. Less is more when it comes to ingredients for C serum, and "Tea" extracts are totally contraindicated for it. Keep other great extracts and actives for another great serum, and leave the C simple..

Sorry I couldn't respond to the PM.. I'm looking forward to spending more time here, and getting the dreaded 15 posts soon.

K

·
Administrator
33,798 Posts
Kassy-

Hello, well you could do what most do, and go to each post and post a couple words. LOL

Thank you though for answering-I will go to EDS and check this out. Now I have a hard time over there, and over here, piece of cake.

But thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gymrat, got your PM but I can't reply likewise till I have 15 posts.. :-(

, the recipe I posted yesterday for Vitamin C serum, is really superb.. Less is more when it comes to ingredients for C serum, and "Tea" extracts are totally contraindicated for it. Keep other great extracts and actives for another great serum, and leave the C simple..

K
Kassy: Hi, I'm new to this site and just copped your post about Serum C recipe. Kassy would you please e-mail me the recipe for it or could you post it again. I would really appreciate it. I did try to find your post on the site, but to no avail. Thanks a mill. Really looking forward to checking this site out some more. Ta. irishbernie

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mom, your thread gives me encouragement to attempt the DIY serum. I realise the recipe has been posted a few times but it seems to differ sometimes. Is this the latest (revised) posted by fawnie in Jan 2009:
1/4 tspn L-abscorbic acid crystals (ensure ultra fine);
30ml distilled water
1/4tspn rosehip seed oil
Check ph is <3.5

Do you add the gel from 1 lecithin capsule?
Do you add Vit E - in the form of 1 capsule contents?
Do you add 1/2tspn vodka - or is this to help dissolve Ferulic Acid (if the latter is added)??

I also had another recipe (from this thread) which also had MAP, FA, Sea Kelp Bioferment, glycerin, Hyaluronic Acid and kukui oil. Being in Australia, I may find it harder to locate some ingredients. I did look at garden of wisdom but found it a little confusing as to which item I really needed.

Do you make it in small batches and keep refrigerated?
I know it should be kept in a brown or dark blue bottle.
Many thanks for everyone's responses and patience.
re my earlier post today to Mom. I have now found Kassy's recipe (posted 2 days ago) so I will stick with what she had. Trouble is in Aussie, so difficult to find some of the ingredients. It would be good to find everything on one website (even from USA) to minimise freight costs. Little concerned about bringing 'white powder' through Customs?
So if anyone has any ideas about either purchasing ingredients in Australia or from just one o/s website I would be grateful. Thanks a million

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kassy: Hi, I'm new to this site and just copped your post about Serum C recipe. Kassy would you please e-mail me the recipe for it or could you post it again. I would really appreciate it. I did try to find your post on the site, but to no avail. Thanks a mill. Really looking forward to checking this site out some more. Ta. irishbernie
IrishBernie: I hope Kassy will not mind me replying to you. She surely must be wishing she could print the T-shirt she and fawnie were talking about! If you go to the Anti-Aging heading under the Skincare forum, and click on the topic titled 'DIY Vit C Serum - for anti-aging and even-toned skin'. Under that title click on Last Page. Kassy's recipe is about the 13th post down the page. You will see her name and above her name 'Yesterday 3.07pm". Hope that helps and I am not treading on anyone's toes!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
This is the link to the recipe which Kassy has already posted twice on the site - yesterday (173) and the day before (167) -

http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...ed-skin-9.html

1 - 20 of 54 Posts