Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Maybe you can help me with my dilemma that I am having. I have been using the diy vitamin c serum in the morning along with sunscreen and then at night, I am using retin-a, 0.05%. This regimen has worked great up until 3 days ago when I started breaking out around my mouth and some on my cheeks.I should tell you that I recently switched my cleanser from the Arbonne creamy cleanser to the Neutrogena deep clean. I also had the peelies and thought that I would try some of my "oils" to moisturize my skin before going to bed on a few occasions. These oils were sweet almond on one occasion and grapeseed oil on the other occasion. My question is, do you think that it was the change in cleanser that caused all of the breakouts or do you think that maybe the oils were too rich for my combination skin? I decided to exfoliate today with a 2% bha and restrained from using the retin-a, but now I have even more "peelies" and the breakouts to go with them, help me if you can, I'm desperate!

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
No probably not from the oils. Sweet almond oil and grapeseed are not rich at all. They are extremely light oils which are great to use. It could be from switching your cleansers. The neutrogena has salicylic in it which could cause you to become dry/flaky. And the break outs could be purging from using the RA. How long have you been using the RA?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have actually been using the RA for at least 6 months. However, I went from using the .025% to using the .05% for the last 2 months. Would I still be purging after that amount of time?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
I have actually been using the RA for at least 6 months. However, I went from using the .025% to using the .05% for the last 2 months. Would I still be purging after that amount of time?
No, I would think your purging would be gone by now. But I guess it could be possible. I just went from .1% to .04% but I never purged at all. It is just a few pimples here and there or a lot?

·
Registered
316 Posts
You are probably overy-drying your skin by switching to the Neutrogena cleanser. My advice would be to go back to the creamy cleanser as soon as possible. Why fix it if it's not broken? Lol

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for your replies! Gymrat, it seemed as if I broke out all at once, but I am clearing up now. I am actually peeling now from using the 2%BHA. At least it is drying up. Vanannars, I am still using the neutrogena since I ran out of the creamy cleanser and the price and the reviews were nice on the neutrogena. Since I am clearing up now, do you think it will be o.k. to continue with the neutrogena? Maybe it took my skin some time to adjust to it? I guess switching back now, may end up doing more harm than good? Anyway, I am so glad to be clearing up again. I have kept my face super clean and no makeup for the past few days to clear it up faster. It was a horrible breakout! Tonight, I will be going back to the retin-A and no oils of any kind! Matter of fact, no moisturizer at all. Maybe that will do the trick! Anyway, thanks for your help and I hope that I am passed the dilemma now?

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts
Neutrogena may be a product you can't use. I know several people who like it and have no problems using it. For myself......nope, not something I can personally use. The cleanser I have been using I have been using for quite a long time. It seems everytime I try and switch just my cleanser all H$%% breaks loose and I end up breaking out. So, I have just given up on that and will stick to the one that works for me.

Stick with they RA it should also help dry those little boogers up. Maybe use just a little moisturizer. Don't rub it in, just pat it on in the areas where you are dry.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The breakout was probably unrelated to the cleanser since you are already clearing up. It might have been hormonal, stress, etc. No one ever really knows the real reason why we get a breakout! The retin-a is a great idea but I would suggest to continue using your moisturizer with it so that you don't dry out your skin too much and cause additional problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have oily skin so even almond oil will make me break out sometimes. Usually ok with grapeseed though. You should use a moisturizer even if you don't want to add extra oil to your skin I really like Revision Skincare's Hydrating Serum or Hydrating Gel its almost like water and doesn't clog pores at all. I use it everyday instead of a moisturizing lotion. Its is my one product I couldnt live without!
Revision Skin Care Products - Shop at Skin-One!

Another cheaper lightweight moisturizer is this Velocity Lightweight Moisturizer. I havent used it in a few years but I liked it when I did. It has salicylic in it so it helps with breakouts all day long. However it does have fragrance so be careful if your sensitive to them.

VelocityÂae Lightweight Moisturizer

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have oily skin so even almond oil will make me break out sometimes. Usually ok with grapeseed though. You should use a moisturizer even if you don't want to add extra oil to your skin I really like Revision Skincare's Hydrating Serum or Hydrating Gel its almost like water and doesn't clog pores at all. I use it everyday instead of a moisturizing lotion. Its is my one product I couldnt live without!

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I have never heard of the Revision skincare before but it looks interesting and I will be checking into this. I don't normally use a moisturizer except on occasion since my skin is on the oily side. Maybe that is the reason for all of the peeling and my choice of moisturizing "oils" and the switch to the neutrogena cleanser was just too much at one time. I also agree with Vananners that it could be hormonal too. Anyway, I'm still working hard to get this breakout cleared up. They are dry now, but I still have the discolorations. I will definitely be using my retin-A to rid of this quickly and try to put this behind me, lol!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts