Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm 40 years old - a migrant to Australia - originally from South Africa. Aging is my biggest concern and I have in the past and still find myself spending exhorbitant amounts of money on anti aging products. I am a normaly working mum and don't really have the money available for this type of spending. I really want to know is the money spent an investment in my skin or am I being taken for a ride. I never really know if they work - I generally think I look okay and I tend to kid myself that I feel I look younger - I am never sure and very often find myself wondering if the products I purchase really really work.

Does anybody use Leaf & Rusher and if so do you think they really work?
Also how about Siseley - what do you think of this product
and lastely
Dr Pericone - does anybody use these products and do you think they work?

I don't want to sound superficial but aging is a big issue with me and I will don't think I will be a "good aging woman patient"

Please get back to me with any feedback as to what you feel works and what you feel doesn't

Cheers for now

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site, myself I've never tried any of those products but I'm sure some people on this site have.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never heard of Leaf & Rusher. I have used Sisley and Perricone. They are not worth the money in my experience. I recommend you look into Janson Beckett. They are by far the best and most cost effective antiaging products I've tried.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Well, Sisley was and still is the only brand that makes my skin happy. How most of their stuff works ir beyond me, their creams have this heavy old-lady scent, most are full of mineral oil and some plant extracts that I see in any half-way natural brand, but Sisley somehow combines them or something and it works for me. Their products can't reverse aging, but they are very good at making skin look soft, hydrated and glowing. No other skin care does that for me, some products from Clarins, Shiseido, Valmont come close, but not quite that good. And Sisley makes the gentlest and most effective cleansers I've ever used, my personal favorite is their Lyslait cleansing milk. But their prices are insane.

For anti-aging I started using Skinceuticals, I don't really care for their creams or cleansers, they are pretty generic, but I want their serums, and zinc oxide sunscreens as soon I finish my supplies, I'm getting some 15AOX (yes, I am aware that I can make the same DIY, but I still want to try theirs).
And their Retinol products are great too, total skin turnaround ir 5 weeks, with no redness and minimal flaking.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Leaf & Rusher is a great retinol + C line that does work but it's pricey. It did make my skin look good from the first time I used it, and it helped me ease into Green Cream and later Retin-A. I would still use it, but it's expensive.

If you check MakeupAlley.com you can sometimes find it there for swap.

Sisely is waaaaaay overpriced IMO for what you get in return, not worth it. Perricone is just hype - mostly dimethicone is what is in the products to make you skin seem good but it never did any long term good for me.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey, if you want some real bang for your buck, stick with the most researched skin care products. Retin-A (or even Retinol) and topical vitamin C (L-asorbic acid) have some really solid research behind them.
Gentle exfoliation is important too. I like dry brushing (using a brush designed for that purpose on dry skin before you cleanse it), but I think a lot of the at home microdermabrasion products are lovely too.
Also, I have had really surprisingly nice results with facial exercises. It's not for everyone, but I highly recommend.
No list of anti-aging suggestions would be complete without harping on daily sunscreen (a must).
I'm not a fan of Perricone's products. I've not tried them all and I do think he may be on to something with the DMAE. However, you are better off buying liquid DMAE to use topically (it stinks and there's no way around that but it is a good anti-inflammatory) and taking fish oil supplements.
I use (and none of these products are too terribly pricey)
Professional Solutions Vitamin C serum (when I have it on hand)
Natural Advantage Retinol (nighlty)
facial exercises 6 days a week
Dry brushing (every morning face and body)
occasional DMAE topically to help me 'depuff' in the morning
Aveeno Postively Radiant Cleanser to wash my face
occasional Vitamin E cream I get at the drug store...
Other than the cleansing, facial exercising, dry brushing and retinol, I'm not consistent with the whole list...but I'm soon to be 42 and aging is less of a concern to me now than it was when I was 35. What I'm doing is working quite well for me...

·
Registered
97 Posts
TigerLilly pretty much said it all, I also like to add that Pearl powder mask 2x a week does wonder for me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Hi Cathy,

I have used the Perricone products and think they are very overpriced and didn't do much for me. Now that you are in Aussie, you might like to check out a company called Alpha H. I think their products are brilliant - they use glycolic acid, vitamin c, e and a and loads of other antioxidants. I live in Great Britain and am able to get the products here (have been using them for about a year).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, if you want some real bang for your buck, stick with the most researched skin care products. Retin-A (or even Retinol) and topical vitamin C (L-asorbic acid) have some really solid research behind them.
Gentle exfoliation is important too. I like dry brushing (using a brush designed for that purpose on dry skin before you cleanse it), but I think a lot of the at home microdermabrasion products are lovely too.
Also, I have had really surprisingly nice results with facial exercises. It's not for everyone, but I highly recommend.
No list of anti-aging suggestions would be complete without harping on daily sunscreen (a must).
I'm not a fan of Perricone's products. I've not tried them all and I do think he may be on to something with the DMAE. However, you are better off buying liquid DMAE to use topically (it stinks and there's no way around that but it is a good anti-inflammatory) and taking fish oil supplements.
I use (and none of these products are too terribly pricey)
Professional Solutions Vitamin C serum (when I have it on hand)
Natural Advantage Retinol (nighlty)
facial exercises 6 days a week
Dry brushing (every morning face and body)
occasional DMAE topically to help me 'depuff' in the morning
Aveeno Postively Radiant Cleanser to wash my face
occasional Vitamin E cream I get at the drug store...
Other than the cleansing, facial exercising, dry brushing and retinol, I'm not consistent with the whole list...but I'm soon to be 42 and aging is less of a concern to me now than it was when I was 35. What I'm doing is working quite well for me...
I'm 63, and those age spots and lines seem to creep up no matter what. I have been a faithful sunscreen user and followed all the rules, but that thin, pale skin sags and wrinkles! My biggest challenge is finding a moisturizer that does not have bad stuff in it--parabens, propylene glycol, etc. I often just grab my jar of coconut oil. What's good, does not cost a small fortune, and is not harming me after it gets into my blood stream?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Hi, itaut29,

are you using a C serum? you may find diy to be helpful if you want to avoid the "bad stuff" ingredients. it is a very wonderful alternative to high priced, hyped up commercial stuff - works great and is considerably less expensive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You skin regime looks cool

Btw..What face excercises are you doing

I was goin try retinol-a under me eyes..is it any good

Cheersssssss!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I agree RA and Vitamin C serum is the best!! Also you may want to try some peels it really helps with age spots/sun spots. Don't forget your SS daily as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts