Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started Retin-A 0.1% gel from ADC last week Wed. I use the Retin-A at night on dry skin and I use HQ (Home made Eucerin + 6% HQ mix)in the morning .

By Saturday my skin started peeling. There was no irritation/rash and the "new skin" was a round 1/2 a shade lighter and smoother than normal unpeeled skin. This continued until Tuesday. By tuesday , around a third of my body was peeled completely (stomach, chest, inner thigh, inner arms) ..the rest of my body will likely peel before the end of the week.

Now, I have noticed that using Retin-A on the already peeled skin causes it to become a bit red (not a lot..just enough to notice)..so should I;

1) Only use Retin-A on unpeeled skin and wait for the unpeeled skin to catch up whist continuing to use HQ

OR

2) Only use Retin-A on unpeeled skin and wait for the unpeeled skin to catch up whist using only Eucerin (as the hq absorption will vary on the peeled/unpeeled skin)..then start using HQ again when skin has peeled completely

OR

3)Continue using Retin-A all over followed by Aloe Vera Jelly to prevent said redness on unpeeled skin whist continuing to use HQ

OR

4)Continue using Retin-A all over followed by Aloe Vera Jelly to prevent said redness on unpeeled skin whist using only Eucerin and wait for the unpeeled skin to catch up (as the hq absorption will vary on the peeled/unpeeled skin)..then start using HQ again when skin has peeled completely

OR

5) Your Suggestion.

I'll provide pictures shortly. Also, is there anyway to speed up the peeling & how do I remove the dead skin sheets in hard to reach areas like my back.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
NEVER use RA on RAW, red or burned skin it will only make it worse, just spread the ra on the unpeeled areas and if a teensy bit just happens to fall into the peeled area then thats OK, but keep using the RA, dont apply moisturizer on freshly peeled skin, apply Aloe Vera ONLY if its irritating, you want the fresh skin to recover and become stronger on its own. A good way to tell if you burned your skin in the future is to put two fingers firmly on the red raw area and lift it up after 10 seconds, if the area leaves a pale white mark from the fingers then its burned, if it doesnt then its freshly peeled and raw.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks LNL. No pale white mark so I'm guessing it's peeled. So..

-Aloe only on peeled skin,
-RA and Eucerin on unpeeled skin.

I'm guessin to hold my HQ until the weekend when skin is done peeling?

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
yes, its a good idea to hold your HQ since you are exfoliating all those dead skin cells from years and years, you dont want the HQ to go in unevenly. Just a slight touch of Aloe, dont dab it on, you want the skin to recover on its own, RA and Eucerin on unpeeled skin. This is all happening because your skin is getting used to the RA as you already know. (Dont forget to take a Multivitamin, you dont have to but it will help your skin recover faster
)

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
yeah but thats usually only reserved when you have HORRID peeled skin from an actual chemical peel, not the slight RA peel that everyone gets, its not a good idea to rely on antibiotic creams so often.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Some have used hydrocortisone for irritation with RA. Does that delay the skin from recovering sooner being it's a steroid and all?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, its a good idea to hold your HQ since you are exfoliating all those dead skin cells from years and years, you dont want the HQ to go in unevenly. Just a slight touch of Aloe, dont dab it on, you want the skin to recover on its own, RA and Eucerin on unpeeled skin. This is all happening because your skin is getting used to the RA as you already know. (Dont forget to take a Multivitamin, you dont have to but it will help your skin recover faster
)
Thanks ! I'm about to go digout my tube of multiitamin

I SO want to show everyone pictures but this stupid phone is not allowing me to send emails.
I'll be back.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Oh I wish it was as simple as zipping off the old skin
right, lol, if it could only be that simple!!

ne way I found something that peeled all the uneven skin that ra left me with
I applied a lactic acid peel on my face on friday and not even a week later my skin has became more even, and alot lighter, now I have a yellowish undertone, its like the best peel ive ever used.

·
Registered
258 Posts
told ya!! I love lactic peels, been promoting it ever since, what percentage did u use?
its 60%, i like it because its not too strong like the tca peels, but still its very effective, i was so amazed with my results, because not even glycolic acid peel been this effective on my skin.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
its not actually a peel like the otehr peels, LActric Acid is a skin lightener because its the only known peel that inhibits melanin (your skin color) like bleaches it and also it doesnt peel your skin but it moisturizes it and gives it a glow.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
258 Posts
its not actually a peel like the otehr peels, LActric Acid is a skin lightener because its the only known peel that inhibits melanin (your skin color) like bleaches it and also it doesnt peel your skin but it moisturizes it and gives it a glow.
well it actually peeled my skin gradually over a period of six days. I kno its the lactic acid because that the only product i used.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts