Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a good DIY-er, just getting that out of the way. BUT I am interested in Vitamin C for it's many benefits and know that there are numerous forms. Which ones are best for the skin? Let me know what you think of this product I found - it's 'L-Ascorbic Acid' and comes in a powder form (amber glass bottle) that you mix in with moisturizer or toner. This is cheaper than my current Philosophy C Powder:

Tval Skincare :: Facial Skincare :: Side orders :: Vitamin C

Oh, and here's what I'm currently using for comparison:

http://www.philosophy.com/web/store/...09_23503_78708

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
L-Ascorbic Acid is the best form for topical use. Both of those products are extremely expensive for such a tiny amount. This is much, much cheaper.Ascorbic Acid, Ultrafine - Lotioncrafter LLC
You are good at DIY. You just don't know it yet.

It's really very, very easy. Just give Kassys recipe a try. There are one a little simpler but are much less effective IMO.

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Yep Vananners-
with Peri, you should really consider making your own. If I can do it, you can do it too-

It really is easier than what it sounds. We are all here to walk you through it, I promise!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I used to use the philosophy one and now use Kassy's recipe. It is so much better and so much more cost effective!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But I've read SO much that says that Vit C is basically useless after about a day of being added to a liquid. Can someone shed some light on that for me?

Also, I know it's probably been on here before but can someone post Kassy's recipe or provide me the link to it?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
But I've read SO much that says that Vit C is basically useless after about a day of being added to a liquid. Can someone shed some light on that for me?

Also, I know it's probably been on here before but can someone post Kassy's recipe or provide me the link to it?
Vitamin C is stabilized by the addition of Vitamin E and Ferulic acid. Other ingredients such as Butylene Glycol and Phenoxyethanol can play a role as well. Among other ingredients.
Vitamin C + E + ferulic acid: enhancing stability and effectiveness of topical ascorbic acid

I believe this is her current recipe:
http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...html#post50168

Directions she talks about in the above post. Add and delete ingredients as she suggests.
http://www.skincaretalk.com/anti-agi...09-recipe.html

I've not tried this one but it looks good. I like the addition of Jojoba oil.

·
Registered
353 Posts

Here's the one I like best, and it's eazzy peazzy I promise..

15% Vitamin C, E + FA Serum with Jojoba (1oz)

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka

Use 2 shot glasses. In #1 put the L-AA powder and add the water. Allow it to fully dissolve stirring as needed. In glass #2 put in the Ferulic Acid, add the vodka and stir. (It will liquify immediately). Now add in the SKB and stir, add in the jojoba and vitamin E and stir.

When the L-AA has fully dissolved and no crystals remain, add the contents of both glasses together, stir very well, and put it in a dark bottle.. Refrigerate or not, it will remain stable quite a while. (Mine is as white when I'm at the end of the bottle as when I make it.)

All these ingredients are synergistic with each other, and necessary for the ultimate stability you will ever find in a C serum that actually works.. (Sorry if I sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, but I am..
).. This C serum will change your skin for the (much) better with continued use.. Promise. (That of course is for the 60% of people who respond to vitamin C topical treatments.)

Also I'd just 2nd what Peri said about the alternative for purchasing the L-AA powder.. And please keep in mind that L-AA skin penetration is pH dependent, so the formula must meet just the right criteria.. Mine does. You cannot just add L-AA willy nilly to any cream and expect it to work, because it will be useless.. It's a shame that they encouraged you to do so where you purchased it..

So bite the bullet and get on the DIY road.. You will be oh so glad you did.. Print out that recipe and directions (if it appeals to you), and you will be surprised just how eazzy peazzy it is..

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I've read the 60% response rate also. Wonder how they came to this number? Seems pretty low. Anyone know of any studies done to back that number up?

·
Registered
74 Posts

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka

Kassy, I use your original recipe with the HA. I am in Oz. Have not found any PH strips to double check the mix and I think sometime back Fawnie said, not to worry bout them. It does sting a bit at first, then feels a bit sticky and drying? Is that correct? Have just mixed my second batch.
How long before you notice any effect and is the effect softening or a decrease (slight I guess) in wrinkles?
I also use RA (we have to buy on script here) at night. I seem to be able to use more of the RA than I have seen suggested here - it does not make my skin peel.
Should I change to the above ingredients or ok to stick with the original with HA? Bit hard for you to answer that as it effects each person differently. If I do change is it just a good quality Jojoba oil. I find it surprising that it is such a weeny amount of Vit E oil (.3 of a ml) and HA in your original recipe, and wondered how such a weeny amount makes an impact on the rest of the mix?
Thanks so much for all your help here.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've read the 60% response rate also. Wonder how they came to this number? Seems pretty low. Anyone know of any studies done to back that number up?
I've read this time and again and wondered the same thing..

I honestly would love to know exactly what formulation was tested? Chances are it wasn't the ones we use...
I have yet to hear of even one person that has made one of the DIY recipe's I've given them, not get great results in a very short time..

It's all about the formula I tell ya!

·
Registered
353 Posts

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka

Kassy, I use your original recipe with the HA. I am in Oz. Have not found any PH strips to double check the mix and I think sometime back Fawnie said, not to worry bout them. It does sting a bit at first, then feels a bit sticky and drying? Is that correct? Have just mixed my second batch.
How long before you notice any effect and is the effect softening or a decrease (slight I guess) in wrinkles?
I also use RA (we have to buy on script here) at night. I seem to be able to use more of the RA than I have seen suggested here - it does not make my skin peel.
Should I change to the above ingredients or ok to stick with the original with HA? Bit hard for you to answer that as it effects each person differently. If I do change is it just a good quality Jojoba oil. I find it surprising that it is such a weeny amount of Vit E oil (.3 of a ml) and HA in your original recipe, and wondered how such a weeny amount makes an impact on the rest of the mix?
Thanks so much for all your help here.
My advice is to forget the HA in a C serum because it really isn't necesarry.. Keep the HA for your moisturizing product..

C serum is a treatment and with continued use (of a good one) you can expect these changes with continued daily use;

- Clearer more eventoned skin
- reduced hyperpigmentation, and paler freckles
- wrinkle reduction (more as time goes by and the new collagen kicks in)
- less visible pores
- healthier, prettier skin with a very youthful glow
- continued collagen production, rather than the 1 to 5% decrease per year that you would get without it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Here's the one I like best, and it's eazzy peazzy I promise..

1 tsp L-AA
1 tsp SKB
1 tsp Jojoba Oil
3 tsp H2O
1/4 tsp Ferulic Acid
1/4 tsp Vitamin E Oil
1/4 tsp Vodka

Use 2 shot glasses. In #1 put the L-AA powder and add the water. Allow it to fully dissolve stirring as needed. In glass #2 put in the Ferulic Acid, add the vodka and stir. (It will liquify immediately). Now add in the SKB and stir, add in the jojoba and vitamin E and stir.

When the L-AA has fully dissolved and no crystals remain, add the contents of both glasses together, stir very well, and put it in a dark bottle.. Refrigerate or not, it will remain stable quite a while. (Mine is as white when I'm at the end of the bottle as when I make it.)

All these ingredients are synergistic with each other, and necessary for the ultimate stability you will ever find in a C serum that actually works.. (Sorry if I sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, but I am..
).. This C serum will change your skin for the (much) better with continued use.. Promise. (That of course is for the 60% of people who respond to vitamin C topical treatments.)

Also I'd just 2nd what Peri said about the alternative for purchasing the L-AA powder.. And please keep in mind that L-AA skin penetration is pH dependent, so the formula must meet just the right criteria.. Mine does. You cannot just add L-AA willy nilly to any cream and expect it to work, because it will be useless.. It's a shame that they encouraged you to do so where you purchased it..

So bite the bullet and get on the DIY road.. You will be oh so glad you did.. Print out that recipe and directions (if it appeals to you), and you will be surprised just how eazzy peazzy it is..
Hi guys, just a quick question for ya. If I use this recipe of Kassy's can I replace the vodka with propylene glycol and still keep the balance? It seems I read it somewhere around here.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is another reciepe I found, but I don't have the MAP, can it put substituting without effecting th PH? I don't know how this one can be made, because it doesn't mention any dissolver of the ferulic acid???

20% LAA Serum
1/2 tsp. LAA
1/2 tsp. map
1/4 tsp. ferulic
1/4 tsp. vit. e
3 tsp. H20

·
Registered
475 Posts
Here is another reciepe I found, but I don't have the MAP, can it put substituting without effecting th PH? I don't know how this one can be made, because it doesn't mention any dissolver of the ferulic acid???

20% LAA Serum
1/2 tsp. LAA
1/2 tsp. map
1/4 tsp. ferulic
1/4 tsp. vit. e
3 tsp. H20
also not sure how the vit e would dissolve.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Hi guys, just a quick question for ya. If I use this recipe of Kassy's can I replace the vodka with propylene glycol and still keep the balance? It seems I read it somewhere around here.
Yes I believe that would work. Butylene Glycol is said to be a little safer than PG.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Maybe Kassy can set me straight on this, but I recall SkinCeuticals C+E ferulic having a definite "hot dog" smell....pew. And MAP has that same smell, right?
According to Skinceuticals' website, they are using LAA, but my LAA never smelled like hot dogs!

[quote skinceuticals.com website]C E FerulicÂae is a revolutionary antioxidant combination that delivers advanced protection against photoaging - neutralizing free radicals, helping build collagen, and providing unmatched antioxidant protection. More protection means more youthful looking skin and better defense against environmental aging.

Containing 15% pure L-ascorbic acid and 1% alpha tocopherol, the addition of ferulic acid doubles the already synergistic benefits of our original high-potency formula, C+E, transforming C E FerulicÂae into a super-antioxidant combination
WAT UP WITH THAT?????

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a newbie to this website having just stumbled across it. For years I've wanted to do what all of you seem to be doing but I know nothing about it--like what to buy and what to do it them once I have it. I'm reading about 12 percent this and 18 percent that. Can someone please guide me to a place where I can get the help.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts