Skin Care Talk banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Looks like Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate might be superior to L-Ascorbic Acid.
It sure is more expensive.

Skinactives (.25oz $15.85) (.5oz $27.57) (1oz $49.95)

Bulkactives (.49oz $25.85)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Taken from smartkincare.com:

Next generation of vitamin C derivatives

Most vitamin C derivatives on the market, including ascorbyl palmitate and magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate, consist of the ascorbic acid fragment (ascorbyl) and a fragment of another acid (e.g. palmitate or phosphate). Recent research indicates that new vitamin C derivatives consisting of multiple chemical fragments bound to a single ascorbic acid fragment may work even better. These new derivatives are more stable compared to both vitamin C and older derivatives. Furthermore, some of these newcomers (particularly the so-called tetrasubstituted lipophilic ascorbates) also appear to be more powerful boosters of collagen synthesis. Even though relatively few skin care products currently on the market contain these new compounds, they may become widely used as more evidence of their benefits accumulates.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Baby, have you ever worked with other forms of C? I wonder how hard they are to incorporate, when some of them are anhydrous. You'd need a silicone base wouldn't you? Or a gel?

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
4,304 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I've had to do a double take a couple times, fawnie -- "you" don't look like yourself!

The anhydrous Vit C forms are easily incorporated into oils, because they are oil soluble. Is that what you were asking?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found that Dr. Sebagh's vitamin C powder in vials the most potent of all the vitamin C products out there. It can be combined with any moisturizer (one without copper peptides) or, even, rubbed into the skin directly. It is costly though!

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
I have found that Dr. Sebagh's vitamin C powder in vials the most potent of all the vitamin C products out there. It can be combined with any moisturizer (one without copper peptides) or, even, rubbed into the skin directly. It is costly though!
Never heard of it. ^^

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Looks like Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate might be superior to L-Ascorbic Acid.
It sure is more expensive.

Skinactives (.25oz $15.85) (.5oz $27.57) (1oz $49.95)

Bulkactives (.49oz $25.85)
Hope you're right, my package should be coming any day. I'm going to use it in a squalane medium.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Courtney, I'm going to try mine with Emu. Maybe we can compare notes when we're done!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Dr. Sebagh did my botox, he is held in high regard by celebs. His products are quite nice but pricey.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just a quick thought on the best type of C for a daytime serum: Tetra-substituted ascorbic acids may well be proven as more effective than L-AA for collagen synthesis.

But the Kassy "DIY Vit C" recipe that many use here is not just used for collagen synthesis and it's not just made from Vit C so it's not really possible to compare apples with apples in terms of the benefit of the final product just by looking at 1 ingredient if you're taking about the best Vit C for a daytime serum....

It's my understanding that the CE Ferulic compound was primarily designed for photoprotection as well as collagen synthesis, plus exfoliation. The ccomponents give a greater benefit combined together than individually.

Roughly speaking, the Ferulic acid was found to remove the UV degradation of the C caused by sun (so the C isn't degraded in the way it would be if you used LAA without it during the day). I think it also reverses degradation of the Vit E and the E enhances the C too, and ferulic is a goodie anyway, although it's been a while since I pored over the original research paper.

For those interested, the research team was led by a Dr Pinnell (the founder of the Skinceuticals) and you can google his research papers to check it out - all the research was published in peer-reviewed journals. It/they make fascinating reading.

I didn't know that Ferulic interacted with tetrasubstitutes to give any synergistic benefit and even though the form is more stable than L-AA I guess it's not completely stable - if anyone knows of studies then I'd really love to read them so please PM me.

So for me, tetras may be "the best" Vit C for collagen synthesis, but for a daytime serum to give me maximum photoprotection as well as collagen synthesis, then a CE Ferulic wins hands down!!! (I also like the exfoliating action that you don't get with tetras).

I am dying to hear about results from using tetras in a daytime serum - really interested to hear if people feel it is better in reality - especially from those who live in the sunny parts of the planet.

Hope that makes sense - I've just reread this and it looks deadly boring

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hi Annie. I've been using Kassy's serum for about 8 months now (I think!). I am going to try switching to the TA for awhile and see if I see any difference. If so, and I like it, the plan is to use them interchangeably.

My order shipped today from Lotioncrafters, so as soon as I get it, I'll make it up and let you know what I think. I have also asked a question in the Dr. Neal thread as to what he thinks about adding ferulic to the TA serum, or if that's even possible. I haven't researched it, so I don't even know if synergistically it's possible or beneficial. I'm a lay person who's just trying some new things out, so any professional input is great for me. So I'm looking forward to Dr. Neal answering that before I formulate. Hopefully, he will. I will let you know. Thanks for the great information! I truly appreciate it.

BTW, I am in a really sunny climate, too, so I should be a good test subject.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Kassy, what do you think of the oil soluble Vit C? Do you think you might experiment? I would love to know, as you are the DIY C serum queen.

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's good Sparklie!! You're thinking!!
Once the l-ascorbic acid is absorbed into the cells it stays there - it doesn't get diluted by the RA or anything else. We reapply it every day just to "top it up" but you could skip a day I assume.

Properly absorb the l-ascorbic acid Sparklie? By letting it sit on the skin for a while - usually 20 minutes for optimum exfoliating properties, but some sources say 5 min is good if you don't care about exfoliating. I'm not the expert about it tho and someone else may have the definitive answer.
Fawnie, why does my Vit C serum feel.........dry? Kinda like my skin is drying from the stuff?

·
Administrator
33,857 Posts
Fawnie, why does my Vit C serum feel.........dry? Kinda like my skin is drying from the stuff?
Which recipe are you using spraytangirl? If you are using the one with jojoba oil it shouldn't be drying. If it is the basic recipe I say bump it up and add a few extras in it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Just a quick thought on the best type of C for a daytime serum: Tetra-substituted ascorbic acids may well be proven as more effective than L-AA for collagen synthesis.

But the Kassy "DIY Vit C" recipe that many use here is not just used for collagen synthesis and it's not just made from Vit C so it's not really possible to compare apples with apples in terms of the benefit of the final product just by looking at 1 ingredient if you're taking about the best Vit C for a daytime serum....

It's my understanding that the CE Ferulic compound was primarily designed for photoprotection as well as collagen synthesis, plus exfoliation. The ccomponents give a greater benefit combined together than individually.

Roughly speaking, the Ferulic acid was found to remove the UV degradation of the C caused by sun (so the C isn't degraded in the way it would be if you used LAA without it during the day). I think it also reverses degradation of the Vit E and the E enhances the C too, and ferulic is a goodie anyway, although it's been a while since I pored over the original research paper.

For those interested, the research team was led by a Dr Pinnell (the founder of the Skinceuticals) and you can google his research papers to check it out - all the research was published in peer-reviewed journals. It/they make fascinating reading.

I didn't know that Ferulic interacted with tetrasubstitutes to give any synergistic benefit and even though the form is more stable than L-AA I guess it's not completely stable - if anyone knows of studies then I'd really love to read them so please PM me.

So for me, tetras may be "the best" Vit C for collagen synthesis, but for a daytime serum to give me maximum photoprotection as well as collagen synthesis, then a CE Ferulic wins hands down!!! (I also like the exfoliating action that you don't get with tetras).

I am dying to hear about results from using tetras in a daytime serum - really interested to hear if people feel it is better in reality - especially from those who live in the sunny parts of the planet.

Hope that makes sense - I've just reread this and it looks deadly boring
I just read this randomly. Never knew that our Kassys serum gave maximum photoprotection. I am using it in the evening because I thought that when I would use it in the daytime, the sun would cause trouble. And we live in a country with lots of sun.

Please tell me guys - could I just go on using it in the evening (I dont use retin A) or should I rather use it under make-up to get the glow? Will it actually PROTECT me against the sun?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Which recipe are you using spraytangirl? If you are using the one with jojoba oil it shouldn't be drying. If it is the basic recipe I say bump it up and add a few extras in it.
My skin also felt dry, spraytangirl. I put in 7,5 ml jojoba now. My best one (for myself) was one with 10 ml oil - into 1 oz. I am experimenting with evening primrose and borage oil now. Avocado is very rich - a few drops help a lot

I think for the average person, 5 - 7,5 ml oil will be oke. For dry skin, try more. Is that oke, Kassy?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts