Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So, here is my story. I am a white 29 year old male. I have pretty good skin - no acne - but i want it to be better and stay that way....

I currently use:

cetaphil to wash my face (with my hands)
olay regenerist spf 15 moisturizer (1x day, sometimes 2x)
and neutrogena antioxidant defense before bed
Occasionally i use st ives apricot scrub....

I hear a lot of talk about eye serums, and retin A. Would either of these be a good option for my situation and age? What about the brand retinol?

Also, I don't drink much water. At the moment, i do have a very high protein, low carb diet...I take an occasional multi but no anti-oxidants or fish oil, etc.

Help! I need your input and expertise!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more questions...

1. i have extra virgin coconut oil - which i occasionally use as an aftershave....would it be be beneficial to apply a little bit every day before my olay moisturizer/sunblock?

2. what is the best "bang for my buck" vitamin serum (not a DIY serum and nothing expensive) ?

3. Is cetaphil a good cleanser?

thanks ladies

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Hi and welcome iwantgreatskin! Well you picked the right site to ask all of those questions!! A great Vitamine A serum would help quite a bit, I didn't see anything about exfoliating, which is a great thing to do do. As for Coconut Oil, My Family and I love the stuff, it's great for your skin. Is Cetaphil a good cleanser hmmmm! That would depend on your skin type. Not if you have dry skin. Myself, I use vichy spf 60. I like what it does for my skin but an SPF 15 (in my humble opinion is too low) Hope that answers some of your questions!

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
I prefer to exfoliate with something a bit more gentle on the skin like gently rubbing the face with a micro fiber cloth The Microfiber Cleansing Cloth - Used with Copper Peptide is a Powerful Exfoliating ToolÂ*-Â*NCN Professional Skincare - Anti Aging Skin Care Products That Makes Your Skin Look and Act Younger also AHA's are great for exfoliating the skin you could start with something gentle like the Aqua Glycolic line of products Buy Aqua Glycolic Facial Cleanser Online at drugstore.com they have toner, lotions and cleansers. Really good for combo to oily skin. You could certainly try Retin-A, Vit C serum and get a stronger sunblock for sure! There are lots of references on the forum on sunscreens. Is your skin oily, dry, sensitive ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not sure what type of skin i have to be honest...and everything is just so overwhelming with all these products and brands!!! AHhhh!!!!

do you have a recommendation for a vit c serum and a retin A product?

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Most make their own Vit C serum. It's easy to do. I finally tried it about 2 weeks ago. check out the thread Vit C serum for dummies. Retin you can get from online overseas pharmacies. Your skin is probably normal. If it was dry it would be tight, flaky, if oily well it would shine like a lighthouse at midnight. You can usually tell. I am sure others will chime in, lots of knowledgeable folks here willing to help.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
No most here order the RA from online pharmacies. A search will land you several choices.

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
iwantgreatskin,
All great advice, but take a look at your diet. If you are following a high-protein diet and drinking very little water you are setting yourself up for kidney problems. Make it a habit to drink water all day long. Add sliced lemon to a big bottle and carry it around with you. That will make a big difference in the quality of your skin.

At 29 you shouldn't need to worry about serums, aside from C serum. A good sunscreen is all you need at this point!!

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Water is key for good skin. I was horrible at drinking water so I always took a bottle of water with me and sipped on it throughout the day. Refilled when necessary. You would be surprised at how many times you would take sips. By the end of the day I would easily have drank more than 2 litres.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cool,

so i will try to add more water into my diet....

as for retin A, what is a reputable and cheap website to use for retin a and what percentage should i get?

lastly, do i need a stronger sunblock?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi.......I'm new to this site. Tried to post my picture but I guess I scared the thingee because after 4 tries it would not upload. Oh well, my reason for being here is I am 70 years young and a firm believer in taking care of your skin. I wish I had maintained the same weight my entire years between 20 - 70 and I would be in great shape but.......I've gained some. After 40 watch it. I never thought it would happen to me but it did......the pounds just snuck up on me. Thank God I had a little control.
Bottom line I think your skin looks better as you age if you carry a LITTLE more weight. Not A lot but a little. I have used the Vit.E, RetinA, you name it and I've use it. One product although expensive (I now purchase off ebay lol) one container last me 3 months is Prevage by Elizabeth Arden. It does everything for my skin......my tone is so much better.......everyone of the brown spots are gone although I only had a few......I love it. I just wanted to share this with you because it is well worth the price because it last so long.
Now.......what about feet? Does anyone know of a great foot product?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ohhhhh I almost forgot. Someone told me that Avon has come out with a new product that is suppose to be wonderful.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
as for retin A, what is a reputable and cheap website to use for retin a and what percentage should i get?
Good ole copy and paste...lol

This is the cheapest place on earth to purchase this product. It is so cheap it's almost funny.
Many of us on the site buy from here. Many people on other skin care site do as well. It is a well respected and trusted company. They actually manufacture their own tretinoin so that is one reason for the prices.
Shipping is kinda high (around $25) but no big deal if you order several tubes/products to help offset this. Still comes out to cheaper than anywhere else. No RX required. It might not look that way when you navigate the site but what they have you fill out is just a formality.
When I order several tubes it comes out to around $4-$5 dollars a tube. Including shipping. Cant beat that.

http://www.alldaychemist.com/common_...Tretinoin.htm

I use the 0.05% gel. The 0.1% is VERY strong as I've found out. Burned my face red.
It gives no more anti-aging benefits than the 0.05%. Buy both the .025% and 0.05%

Top notch Retin-A info.
Use Retinoids the Right Way

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

It's very cool as a guy you are trying to take care of your skin, so many men don't give a d*mn, they just go on high protein diets, build up a lot of muscle, and think that is all there is to it. I've seen some guys with really nice bodies, but their faces are total disasters, and a messed up face will kill your chances at dating, no matter what your body looks like. As for products, like many people here, I get my Retin A 0.1% and Hydroquinone 4% (great to lighten dark skin marks) from Super Skin Store, it's $15.00 per tube and they ship fast, their email is superskinstore(AT)gmail(DOT)com. They accept Paypal, which is the main reason I use them. I also want to add what others have said about drinking water, as without enough water no matter what you put on your skin it won't look right. Water is to skin what it is to cement powder...without water you can't do anything with cement, same thing with skin. Our body is made up of mostly water, so that says it all!

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
At the age of 29 i don't think you need anythin strong it's too early for that unless you see lines or wrinkles anywhere round your face, all you need is a good moisturizer as for the big C that we all need why don't you stick it in you daily diet like vitamin c tablets pick a taste you like stick half of 500mg tablets in a galss of water or even the entire tablet it depend on how much of C you get in your food it'll make you drink water more & at the same time get the benefit inside out on the long run that would help since you don't need results on your skin now now
.Ah don't forget to take multi vitamine that is a must trust me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts