Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My skin has been acting strange all of a sudden. I think I'm suffering from some kind of over-exfoliation problem from using NeoStrata Ultra Smoothing lotion (a AHA product) as well as their Facial Cleanser which I use everyday.

I'm beginning to have problems such as darkened face in comparison to my body, very irritated and red eyes, my skin feeling dry and eyes go irritated every time i wash them with water and stays irritated throughout the whole day and night. I didn't know if i used to have sensitive skin, but now i do and i don't know wat to do! I can't even wear any kind of sunscreen when i go out as that too irritates my red eyes. Pretty much any skin care products hurts my eyes.
When i go out, both the sun and the wind irritate my eyes! When i walk out in public I have to squint so hard to get rid of the pain.

At the moment, I don't put anything on my face, just Vaseline dry skin moisturiser and Aveeno, both of which helps with my dry skin and doesn't irritate but my face gets even more darker when i wear them. My forehead is unusually darker than my whole face and when I apply the moisturiser, it gets even darker!

Even the shape of my face doesnt look right. i'm getting puffy skin under the eyes and lower areas of the cheeks.

Am I suffering from over-exfoliation? If so, what do I do? How do I get my face looking bright and healthy as it used to be? and also, is there a chance my skin will become less sensitive in the future?
I'm a Sri Lankan male and used to have medium complexion, now I have a dark complexion! Please help me!don't know if what I'm doing is the right thing! Thanks!!!!

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
Hello- and welcome

How often are you using the AHA product? IF you are using it daily, I would definately cut back. Go every other or every 2 days. If your eyes are red and irritatated I would say this is a sign this product is too strong for you. Try going for a mild wash, there are lots out there. Ones that are milky in consistancy are known to be very mild and non irritating. The main purpose of a facial cleanser is to gently clean your skin without irritating it. You never want to use a very harsh face wash, as you are only striping the natural oils that your skin needs. Look for a mild, hypoallergenic cleanser containing more moisturizing and nourishing ingredients, such as vitamins, essential oils and minerals.I would also recommend that you avoid cleansing products containing alcohol. Not good for the over exfoliating skin-

Maybe try putting sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil, or jojoba oil. These all work very well. You need something soothing since you are exfoliating.

Best of luck to you-

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My skin has been acting strange all of a sudden. I think I'm suffering from some kind of over-exfoliation problem from using NeoStrata Ultra Smoothing lotion (a AHA product) as well as their Facial Cleanser which I use everyday.
I have the Neostrata Smoothing Cream, Level 3 - which is 10% glycolic acid. It says that the product should be used daily but I cannot imagine doing so. I used it once or twice a week and that seemed to be enough for me. Now that I use vitamin C serum daily, I find that I no longer need additional exfoliation and so maybe use it twice a month just for fun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gymrat.
Yea, i used to put the AHA moisturising lotion daily, but now I've stopped and I'm still experiencing redness and irritation but far less than used to. But my complexion looks worser than before. My skin looks darker, as if it's been burnt. Will this go away?

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
Thanks gymrat.
Yea, i used to put the AHA moisturising lotion daily, but now I've stopped and I'm still experiencing redness and irritation but far less than used to. But my complexion looks worser than before. My skin looks darker, as if it's been burnt. Will this go away?
If your skin looks darker, you probably did burn it a little. Darker as if it is going to peel? Or it changed colors completely? Like hyperpigmentation?

For the most part, when you use any kind of AHA, glycolic, lactic acid, your skin will look worse, before it looks better. That is totally normal.

Here is a link you might find helpful Manuka Honey. Fawnie burned herself recently and applied manuka honey on it right away and it worked for her. I have been using regular honey as a mask, but I just got some manuka honey because of the great things it can do for your skin. Maybe get either manuka or regular honey and apply this to your face for a few nights for 10 mins or so, and see if this helps your redness and irritation.

Keep us posted on how you are doing with this-

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my skin doesn't feel like it's gonna peel off, but more like hyperpigmentation. My forehead though looks real dark and feels like sandpaper.

Thank you so much for your suggestion gymrat. I'll give the honey a go and see if this works and I'll post back. Once again, thank you so much for your help!!!

·
Administrator
33,797 Posts
You are so welcome, I am glad I could help.

Yes if it looks like sand paper, expect it to do some flaking here soon! Let me know how it all turns out for you.

Best of luck -

·
Banned
33,050 Posts
Needhelp,

Is it possible that you have seasonal allergies? That could make you look puffy and your eyes red. But it does sound like you overdid it with the AHA. Just let your skin rest until it restores itself.

If you still have hyperpigmentation you could take a peek at the "skin lightening" thread on this forum. Hope it gets better for you soon.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks gymrat and fawnie.
I couldn't use honey on my face since my mom won't let me but i tried green tea on my face and drinking it as well and there is some improvement in my face.
Atm, i'm just washing my face with green tea mixed with water and that's all I'm doing. My skin has gone a little bit lighter and my eyes are much less red and irritated. But my skin is getting a little dry and there are 2 or 3 pimples popping up. So should I just keep using green tea on my face?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks fawnie, but I'm not too familiar with this product or how to get access to it. Is there any natural home remedy i could try because i don't want to use any creams on my face since my face is extremely sensitive. the green tea is working fine but there is a lot of dryness when i use it like a cleanser and my face goes oily throughout the day. Is olive oil any good?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update on my skin. I think i'm beginning to lose my way yet again. My eyes are as red and irritated as ever, and my facial skin is more sensitive to the sun. I don't want to use sunscreen since any sunscreen i wear gives me an allergic reaction to my eyes and my face goes all oily.
The good thing is though, my skin has gone lighter and looks healthy at times but I can't stand the feeling of red, irritated eyes. I don't know what i'm doing wrong.
Here is the routine i'm following now:
Morning - wash face with warm water and then apply green tea on it.
Night - wash face with warm water and also apply green tea on it.
Throughout the day I drink nearly 2-3 bottles of Pure Green tea as well.

My face goes a bit dry too and the nose area is extremely flaky. Even applying moisturisers don't help. Am I doing something wrong?
Oh yea, and my forehead and parts of my nose have dark spot like areas like the kind of result you get when you burn paper for a few seconds. There are also dark areas under my eyes. Is it something in the green tea?
I really need your help on this one, because I think I'm losing my way again. I hope this is just the effects of Post Over-Exfoliation!!!

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Hi,

Try using a soap-free face wash to wash your face twice a day. Switch to facial oils such as sweet almond oil instead of using moisturisers. Using natural products are good for your skin. You can use vicco turmeric cream also in the place of facial oils. It not only protects your face against sun damage but also keeps it moisturised and matte.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi-
I love using peels and use one everyday and have never suffered a burn at all! Try the Alpha Beta Daily Peel. it is the best.[/B][/B]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts