Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first lightening product I ever bought was some kind of cream/makeup. Not sure what it was. Small classified ad in the back of a magazine read "have white face". lol It came in the mail, small green container with Indian writing on top of the lid.

Then the skin lightening adventure began!!

Through the years I have used:

BeGone Skin Toner
Nadolina Skin Bleach
Reviva Labs Brown Spot Night Cream
Janssen White Secrets
Mia Sasha Color Tone B
Hollywood Secret Products
African Queen Beauty
Isomers Skin Brightening Complex
Fair and White Lightening and Purifying Cream
Fair and Flawless
Diana Stalder Whitening Products
The Spa Basin
MegaBlast

What products have you used through the years?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BeGone Skin Toner? can u find a link to purchase this from
LOL!! This is from way back in the day!!
You know I just googled it and found an ad from a 1977 Ebony magazine. whoa!! 1977 lol

I don't even think they make it anymore, I purchased it from a black hair care company catalog.

I remember it was nice product, cheap and came in a big jar. I liked the way it felt, real creamy but not greasy at all.

Oh yeah!! The Spa Basin did not work for me either.
Very poorly made product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here's a list of the products I've used:

• Rosance X20 Skin Lightening Gel
  • Fair & White Whitenizer Exclusive (Gel)
  • Fair & White/Purity Fade Cream
  • Retin-A Micro Gel
  • Tazorac (Cream)
  • Lancome Blanc Expert Mela- No Cx Advanced Whitening Beauty Lotion (Toner)
  • Lancome Blanc Expert Mela-NO Cx Supreme Whitening Corrector (Serum)
  • Shiseido White Lucent Brightening Refining Softener (Toner)
  • DiorSnow Sublissime Whitening Fresh Lotion (Toner)
  • Finacea (15% Azelaic Acid Cream)
  • Dr. Denese Firming Facial Pads (10% Glycolic Acid)
  • Kanebo Whitening Clear Conditioner (Toner)
  • Clarins Firming Brightening Serum
  • PCA Pigment Gel (2% HQ)
  • NeoStrata HQ Plus Gel (4% HQ)
  • Azure Anti-Aging Stimulating Toner (2% HQ)
  • Topix Glycolix Elite Sunscreen SPF 30 (17% Micornized Zinc)

At first I used inexpensive and ultimately ineffective products. (N.B. Fair & White/Purity Fade Cream is the worst product I've ever tried; forget it Jake, it's Garbage Town.) When I didn't get the results I was looking for, I replaced them with tretinoin and tazarotene treatments combined with toners/serums.

It worked pretty well, but I reached a plateau — I evened out my skin tone but was still not getting the noticeable lightening I was after. So I tried changing Vitamin C-based toners/serums while still using my Rx medications. This combination proved relatively expensive because of the markup on the brand-name toners/serums and, of course, the sources I was using to order my prescription-strength products.

If you'll notice, I avoided introducing anything that contained hydroquinone into my skin care routine; partly because of the controversy over the supposed cancer risk. But it seemed like the only ingredient that would lighten, and not just brighten, my skin. So I decided to try products with OTC concentrations of HQ (2%). The results were okay, but not enough (for me at least). The highest concentration of HQ I felt comfortable with was 4%, so that was my next step. But the prices I was paying for all the products in my regimen were a lot more than I was willing to pay for long-term. The search for less expensive but effective products and resources lead me to SkinCareTalk.

It's been a little over a month since I've been on the classic 4% HQ and RA combo — products which were obviously ordered from All Day Chemists [duh] — that have been highly recommended by SCT members. At first I thought the cream-based Melalite Forte would be too heavy for my acne-prone oily complexion. But it's worked out fine so far, I actually find it somewhat soothing; I'm glad my skin can tolerate the concentration of HQ.

Here are the core products I'm using now:

• Garnier Ambre Solaire UV Sensitive Ultra 50+ (Cream)
  • Melalite Forte (4% HQ Cream)
  • RA (Tretinoin)

I've noticed some remarkable progress, enough to want to stick with the products above to see if I can lighten to my desired shade: at least a Fitzpatrick Type II, from a Type III-IV (i.e., Latino).

Also, might as well say thanks to everyone here, especially ondine and LightenNLift, for all of their helpful, intelligent and LOL posts.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Arch, thats a great sunblock choice and when used together with the HQ 4% in the morning you wont break out, I mean in the future you are all clear. The RA fights all ur acne and makes ur skin dry but in the morning the HQ/Sunblock fixes the dryness so your skin is nice and balanced throughout the day. I have been using that sunblock for a long time with metalite for my hyperpigmentation and that regimen is working out, so I can say from experience that ur regimen is definitely worth sticking with.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Aya (now they call it Otentika)was the first lightening lotion i used
skin success fade cream
HT26
clear essence
bioclaire
Otentika
Fair and white original
clarins bright plus
Makari
African queen Beauty
Edgard
Francoise Bedon
QEI+
Fair and White exclusive and some more
now i am using Carotein nourishing and fairness cream

I started lightening my skin about 17years ago using OTC lotions and cream, some I forgot the names.

Arch, thats a great sunblock choice and when used together with the HQ 4% in the morning you wont break out, I mean in the future you are all clear. The RA fights all ur acne and makes ur skin dry but in the morning the HQ/Sunblock fixes the dryness so your skin is nice and balanced throughout the day. I have been using that sunblock for a long time with metalite for my hyperpigmentation and that regimen is working out, so I can say from experience that ur regimen is definitely worth sticking with.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, look at all the lightening products we've used!!
Oh the money we spent. lol
But you have to keep trying until you find what works right?

·
Registered
625 Posts
why have you used so many producks folks? 'cause they didn't work? 'cause you wanted to test other brands? why?

i've only used AMBI and DIANA STADLER soap........... since one year.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
why have you used so many producks folks? 'cause they didn't work? 'cause you wanted to test other brands? why?

Oh these are through the years for me. The very first cream I purchased and the first three on the list are from a store or catalog the rest I ordered from the internet. A whole new skin lightening world opened up to me when I went online and joined my first skin lightening group (December 2003). So the last 11 products I have tried since being online.

I like trying to new products
I just listed lightening products but I like trying new skin care products overall.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Because when you think you found a new product, for some raison, at least on my case, after 3 months, i do not see any lightning anymore, or the product breaks me out, i have to change, that was the case with Makari, it was breaking me out badly, i've never encounter that with any other, i never had acne, till i started using Makari; I stopped 4 years ago using Makari: I am still fighting with acne.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thanks for your replies Nikkicute and New York ! I understand... New York, I'm sorry about your acne, it's weird you can't stop it. I hope carotein will work, if not I'm sure AMBI will do.

and something i want to know, the next brand you used was better than the previous one right? or sometimes when you realized the new product was worse than the previous one you went back to the ones you used before??

in any case, women (including myself) like to try all kind of stuff that makes us look good. at the store I want to buy everything. i love buying cosmetics.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think my very first were Porcelana and/or Nadinola (HQ creams) for my knees and elbows in high school.

Then in the 90s I'd go for spa treatments & facials for a while but quit because they were making me much lighter, cost the world, and the location became inconvenient when I moved. I did love the smoothness & pampering.

IIRC, some of the items I used then were: Dermaclair(sp?) soap and a cream, a Peter Thomas Roth brightener, a hydroquinone 4% cream, PTR sunscreen, the spa's own AHA body lotion and an AHA gel. I also had regular glycolic peels. I'm not sure of the percentage.

I've honestly spent most of my life not caring enough (unless I got a rash or a bout of ezcema) or even laying out tanning to get darker. I had (have?) the darker=sexier idea...but I'm getting old so I'm trying to make healthier choices & reprogram my brain.

I'm realizing that my old aesthetician was right and that I've been zigging instead of zagging. If that makes any sense.

So now I'm using: Fair and Flawless (the Soho Parfait and cleansing scrub), Othine hq 3% every other evening , Loreal Ombrelle and Neutrogena Pure & Free sunscreens, & Dove and Likas Papaya Soaps. I added Belo Whitening Lotion to the line-up last week for my arms & back of hands.

I've only been chipping away at my 'permatan' and melasma since August but I am seeing neat results. I'm on the lookout for decently-priced-yet-effective products. I recently bought some SkinWhite and MaxiPeel products but I'm waiting to see how it goes with my current regimen.

I'm also amazed that it's really possible to lighten your skin beyond the natural color. I understand tanning and then I understand 'excavating' with peels, protection, etc. to get back to your base color. It seems like a ton of work to 'bleach' out just like tanning well is almost an occupation.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Porcelana

Sounds like something a gradma would use. lol

I think when it comes to men darker is always equal sexier, you know tall dark and handsome. Terrance Howard (the actor) said "lightskinned brothers are making a comeback now" I've been hearing that for years!! lol

EggoMini your the first lightener I ever met who is a reformed tanner. My goodness look at your pictures, your very lightskinned!! I'm sure you'll get your skin to that even toned you want.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Porcelana

Sounds like something a gradma would use.
lol

I think when it comes to men darker is always equal sexier, you know tall dark and handsome. Terrance Howard (the actor) said "lightskinned brothers are making a comeback now" I've been hearing that for years!! lol

EggoMini your the first lightener I ever met who is a reformed tanner. My goodness look at your pictures, your very lightskinned!! I'm sure you'll get your skin to that even toned you want.
Actually it is sort of.. a lot of women use(d) it for age spots & freckling.

I've always thought that I was sort of blah & 'whatever' colored. Not dark or light enough to be interesting...I think that's part of why I started tanning. Also it was pretty easy, hey the sun is always there, I've got enough melanin to get pretty dark easily.

Now I'm looking at 40 yrs. old and I'm trying to strip down my old varnish. lol( I used to refinish furniture as a hobby for while.)

LOL! Terrence Howard is so funny to me. Whenever I read or hear about his different antics & quotes it always gives me a giggle. He's a fellow James Taylor fan, so I try to cut him some slack.

I think you're right, most cultures do allow for darkness in male attractiveness more than for women. OTOH, I'm such a weirdo in so many other ways that I would get this part 'backwards' too. LOL! Also my mom who's a bit lighter than I am always admires & gushes over very dark-skinned people so on some level, I think that really influenced me.

My dad who was darker (but from a light family.. I'm really dark next to most of them) never said much about color either way. He dragged us all out to the lake, parks, hiking and stuff so I stayed scorched. I didn't even know what sunscreen was growing up!

Thanks for the encouragement! Best wishes on your skin care goals too! I think I recognize your name from the other board. This place is great...so much info and well-organized!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually it is sort of.. a lot of women use(d) it for age spots & freckling.

I've always thought that I was sort of blah & 'whatever' colored. Not dark or light enough to be interesting...I think that's part of why I started tanning. Also it was pretty easy, hey the sun is always there, I've got enough melanin to get pretty dark easily.

Now I'm looking at 40 yrs. old and I'm trying to strip down my old varnish. lol( I used to refinish furniture as a hobby for while.)

LOL! Terrence Howard is so funny to me. Whenever I read or hear about his different antics & quotes it always gives me a giggle. He's a fellow James Taylor fan, so I try to cut him some slack.

I think you're right, most cultures do allow for darkness in male attractiveness more than for women. OTOH, I'm such a weirdo in so many other ways that I would get this part 'backwards' too. LOL! Also my mom who's a bit lighter than I am always admires & gushes over very dark-skinned people so on some level, I think that really influenced me.

My dad who was darker (but from a light family.. I'm really dark next to most of them) never said much about color either way. He dragged us all out to the lake, parks, hiking and stuff so I stayed scorched. I didn't even know what sunscreen was growing up!

Thanks for the encouragement! Best wishes on your skin care goals too! I think I recognize your name from the other board. This place is great...so much info and well-organized!
You just now recognized me from askmehelp? lol
I knew who you were right away from the eggo name.
Certain members do find their way to SkinCareTalk, it's a nice place.

Who's James Taylor

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You just now recognized me from askmehelp? lol
I knew who you were right away from the eggo name.
Certain members do find their way to SkinCareTalk, it's a nice place.

Who's James Taylor
I know I'm slow..
It took me a sec.

James Taylor is a singer/songwriter and one of my fantasy, parallel reality husbands...JUST KIDDING (sorta)... I am a total fan. I've been to so many of his shows, even when i was in Europe.

James Taylor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read somewhere that Terrence H. liked J.T. so I've tried to stop giggling about the baby wipes, etc. lol!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I know I'm slow..
It took me a sec.

James Taylor is a singer/songwriter and one of my fantasy, parallel reality husbands...JUST KIDDING (sorta)... I am a total fan. I've been to so many of his shows, even when i was in Europe.

James Taylor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I read somewhere that Terrence H. liked J.T. so I've tried to stop giggling about the baby wipes, etc. lol!
Oh ok then, I think I know who I'm sure once I hear his songs on YouTube I'll know who it is. His name sound familiar to me, I know I probably heard some of his songs before. I can recognize a lot of songs but never know who sang the songs.

Listen no guy is going to tell me how to wipe MY BUTT ok?

You see those capital letters? It's MY BOOTY not his. lol

"I like women who look like me. Generally, you're attracted to women who look like you, because the most beautiful thing in nature is your own reflection."

"Toilet paper - and no baby wipes - in the bathroom. If they're using dry paper, they aren't washing all of themselves. It's just unclean. So if I go in a woman's house and see the toilet paper there, I'll explain this. And if she doesn't make the adjustment to baby wipes, I'll know she's not completely clean."

Make the adjustments? Say what fool !!
Whatever dude!!!!
It's no wonder when he said he tried to get together with Halle Berry she did not return his calls. She knew!! She knew how weird he was!! I don't blame her for not getting back to him.

Anna Holmes was once fortunate enough to interview Mr. Howard for InStyle, and came away with the impression that he hates women. (That part didn't make it into her article!) For one, says Anna, during the interview, Mr. Howard was going through his closet and showing her his favorite clothes — when her arm brushed his. Mr. Howard flinched and said he didn't like "being touched". Other gems? When railing against how 'far" women's fashion has gone — "We've lost modesty" — Mr. Howard told Anna that seeing women dressed provocatively creates a response in him that he can't respond to in a 'natural' way. (Meaning that rape is illegal?). "He then made a comment that women who expose their 'titties' to the public have no right to get angry if people — maybe him? — make remarks about it," she continues. "He said something like 'What's worse, someone exposing themselves or someone commenting on it? Who committed the first sin?'"

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
What a long list of products! There's stuff on here I've never even heard of. I'd bet that the bulk of them tieldeed iffy results too. My history is short & sweet.

1 st lightening effort: Jan 09 Neo Strata HQ+ (HQ4% + aha I forget the %age) and Avon exfoliating peel pads (aha/glycolic). these both cost betw $35-40 ch.

I then shitched to LaDonna's HQ/RA alternating method buying from ADC for $15/tube. the results were similar BUT it was more cost effective.

Then, I searched the net, found ADC, discovered many others here were customers & began buying from them. This really trimmed my cost!

Then, I read Jose's account of his experiences with Likas Papaya soap & I became a fan too (THanks again, Jose! ...if you're out there...)

I experimented with TCA peels at 12.5% & 18%, then Glycolic Acid 50% & home compounding with Sepi White & also with raw HQ. The creams began coming out nicely textures & not oxidizing, but lightening was minimal. I intend to try pre-melting the HQ in PG next time as Nina sky advises.

Now, I'm following the classic 'tried & true' HQ/RA/Likas routine & I'm re-cuperating the lightening momentum I had lost during the experimental phase when I wasn't using RA.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts