Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. It seems that when I googled it I also could only find the written descriptions and not a chart with photos of the skin complexions.

·
Administrator
33,849 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Eternal, it is actually quite easy. Keep in mind we are all a continuum. I have been called a III and a IV but would reckon I fall somehwere between. A Fitzpatrick I is usually someone who is very fair, like British or Irish descent mainly, and has almost no ability to tan, always burns, you see their veins quite readily and the skin is almost a transparent looking milky white. A II is a fair Northern European/Northern Asian skin type and someone who can tan but is very fair and usuallyw ill turn red then perhaps a bit brownish before rapidly fading. A III is more or less just standard European skin, tans moderatly if they lay in the sun but fades back to a very caucasian look (the average American/European and some Asians). A IV is a Middle Eastern/Mediterranean look and is for people who have so-called olive-complexions or for SE Asians a sallow yellowish complexion without a tan yet an ability to brown deep and rapid with minimum exposure. And IV is reserved for darker shades of African and some indigenous peoples around the world. These are people who are heavily pigmented beyond what most people can achieve even after considerable sun exposure.

Hope that helps as this was what I was taught in terms of how to define the various labels.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Here's an interesting article that describes some other skin classification scales. Some are more recent than the Fitz ('75) scale. Some are peculiar to specific ethnicities. This seems to make more sense in that if you look at Indian people, some are extremely dark whereas others are fair. The fair Indian's skin, like the fair black's skin might react differently to sun exposure, scarring etc that a Caucasian person of similar complexion due to a combination of genetic & culturally related features. Ift has been proven, for ex, that many meditteraneans are less likely to burn in the sun due to the high levels of licopene in their bodies because of the large amt of tomatoes in their diet. Someone of another Bkgd with a different diet but the visually identical colour may react differently. In my case, we are a multi-'racial' family. Despite how dark my skin was it tended to burn easily in the sun. The same is true for my older brother (who now has severe Vitiligo). He would get even redder & peel all across his nose & shoulders. My red/brown skin never had that thick look many dark people's has. I had an aunt who was Meditteranean tan colour. Her skin did not scar nicely: she even got some keloids. This is more typical of skin as dark as mine BUT I scar almost invisibly. Go figure! These other scales help fill in the blanks.

The Roberts skin type classification system | Journal of Drugs in Dermatology | Find Articles at BNET

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Hope that helps! Many people on this board wants to achieve the Olive Tone Level 5 Above of the actress Aishwarya Rai, shes the one with the light brown hair and blue eyes.

Skin | care | talk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fantastic Info LightenNlift!

Guys, I've uploaded an avatar pic so as to get suggestions as to what my tone is!!! I would like to know how far I can push the lightening process without getting too pale.I have absolutely no clue what my undertone is, Red or Olive? HELP!

If this pic isn't helpful, please say so. I'll try to upload a clearer one.

PS. This was taken a few weeks before HQ/RA regimen.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
THANKS Ondine.. that is awesome
Now i see how the red tone looks considerably darker than the same level person in olive tone..
so i wonder if that means that the red tone person would have to lighten much more to appear the same tone as olive. Ill have to keep an eye on my undertone and see if it fades any @ all..

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have olive tone which I hate. I hate my skin I hate my skin I hate my skin ... Is that what some people call self hate?LOL anyway I'm level 5 to 4 I want to get to level 2 or 1 Ohhh is that Nansy on level 2?? I remember her when she was younger she did have some BROWN color I don't know if she bleaches or she hasn't been out in the sun lately but I remember that she was darker than Haifa which is on level 3 here, Haifa actually is very light but she wears like a slut all the time and dance under the sun lol

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
LightenNLift,
Seeing all those complexions was interesting! I could see lightening to the red 5. The photo with the backs in inaccurate, though. The guy they have as a V is actually a VI
Gabrielle Union (red 8) is a V.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey janneha, you are beautiful
You have a red undertone and you're about a dark olive with a red tone, you can definitely lighten up to pinkish/white caucasian look.
awww! Thank you my lovely. I guess this is a bit of a thick question but how on earth can you tell these things? I wonder if the undertone colour changes slightly as you lighten.

Thanks for the info, at least now I can describe my skin tone!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have olive tone which I hate. I hate my skin I hate my skin I hate my skin ... Is that what some people call self hate?LOL anyway I'm level 5 to 4 I want to get to level 2 or 1 Ohhh is that Nansy on level 2?? I remember her when she was younger she did have some BROWN color I don't know if she bleaches or she hasn't been out in the sun lately but I remember that she was darker than Haifa which is on level 3 here, Haifa actually is very light but she wears like a slut all the time and dance under the sun lol
Oh no, please don't call my Haifa a slut. I love, love, LOVE her. I still can't believe her age and I love her rebellious attitude! Just for the heck of it, my favourite performance from her.....cheeky!.....enjoy!

YouTube - Lebanese singer/model Haifa Wehbe performing live

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys!!!! This really helped alot! From looking at the photos I would say my complexion is at the olive tone level 8, and my goal complexion is at, of course, the olive tone level 5 Aishwarya Rai/ or Sade Adu which seems quite close to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts