Skin Care Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
Am not new at SCT. I have been dormant but occasionally following the forums since 2013.I have read most of the threads; most very informative while others so confusing especially when it comes to DIY lotions formulation.Took me long to finally understand the formulations. So i thought mayb i should start a thread with only formula equations to use for DIY and also share where we can buy igredients for DIY.

So here we go:

For liquid active ingredients( KA, LA,GA, licorice etc)

Formula;
C1V1=C2V2
where;
C1= Initial concentration e.g 70% LA
V1= Initial Volume e.g 30ml LA

C2= Final concentration e.g if u want to make 15% LA lotion
V2 = Final Volume e.g your base lotion should be 140ml

illustration :
C1V1=C2V2

70×30= 15×V2
V2= 2100/15
V2= 140ml( so you will have 140ml lotion with 15% lactic acid in it)

Note: make sure the units are similar. if V1 is ml ; V2 should be in ml too. if it is in oz then the other one should be converted to Oz too.

For powdered active ingrédients( can be KA, aarbutin, niaciamide etc)

Formula;

X(g)+ Y (g)= F (g)

X (g)/F (g) × 100 = Z%

where;
(g) = grams

X = active ingredient e.g Kojic acid powder
Y= Initial base lotion/ cream
F = Final base lotion/ cream
Z= Final % of active ingredient in the lotion/ cream eg. 4.8% of KA in your lotion

Illustration;
10(g) + 200(g) = 210(g)

10/ 210 × 100 = 4.76%

Note:
1 teaspoon level of powder equals 2.5g
1 ml of liquid equals 1g so 200ml = 200g ( for liquid only)
1 tablespoon of liquid = 15ml

For instance if you are using distilled water to dissolve KA powder then;

Formula;
10 (g) + 15 (g) H20 + 185 ( g) of lotion
=210g
This still gives you 4.8% of Kojic acid lotion.

Finally;
where to buy ingredients:
- www.makingcosmetics.com( i personally buy from here)
- www.lotioncrafters.com

Please guys you can add other websites to purchase from and please feel free to jump in and correct me where i made some mistakes. Sorry for the long thread and I hope this thread will help those who wish to DIY lotion and save them time in researching.
Happy lightening and good luck! :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Finally got wat I've been looking for thanks dear. Pls one quick question which base lotion would u recommend for a kojic acid lotion and how many ml or teaspoon of vit.E oil can be added to avoid oxidation

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got wat I've been looking for thanks dear. Pls one quick question which base lotion would u recommend for a kojic acid lotion and how many ml or teaspoon of vit.E oil can be added to avoid oxidation
You are very welcomed. Most of the members here suggest Jergens, Aveeno( check DIY base lotion thread). I personally cannot readily access those lotions because i live in Europe so i usually use Lait Corporel Anti-drying Body Milk. It has carbomer so sometimes the lotion can be so runny but i love It because its very moisturizing to my skin.

About how much Vitamin E, they recommend 0.1-1% so, I usually use 1 teaspoon (5ml) for 450ml or 1/2 teaspoon(2.5ml) for 200ml of my lotion. Others recommeds just drops. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
33,719 Posts
i saw kojic acid powder on ebay. Do you think it is ok to buy?
I wouldn't purchase any type of skincare ingredients from eBay, too risky. You have no idea what your getting.....could be cocoa powder :eek:

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
I wouldn't purchase any type of skincare ingredients from eBay, too risky. You have no idea what your getting.....could be cocoa powder :eek:
:rofl::rofl: LMAO @ "cocoa powder" ...

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
Hello everyone
Am not new at SCT. I have been dormant but occasionally following the forums since 2013.I have read most of the threads; most very informative while others so confusing especially when it comes to DIY lotions formulation.Took me long to finally understand the formulations. So i thought mayb i should start a thread with only formula equations to use for DIY and also share where we can buy igredients for DIY.

So here we go:

For liquid active ingredients( KA, LA,GA, licorice etc)

Formula;
C1V1=C2V2
where;
C1= Initial concentration e.g 70% LA
V1= Initial Volume e.g 30ml LA

C2= Final concentration e.g if u want to make 15% LA lotion
V2 = Final Volume e.g your base lotion should be 140ml

illustration :
C1V1=C2V2

70×30= 15×V2
V2= 2100/15
V2= 140ml( so you will have 140ml lotion with 15% lactic acid in it)

Note: make sure the units are similar. if V1 is ml ; V2 should be in ml too. if it is in oz then the other one should be converted to Oz too.

For powdered active ingrédients( can be KA, aarbutin, niaciamide etc)

Formula;

X(g)+ Y (g)= F (g)

X (g)/F (g) × 100 = Z%

where;
(g) = grams

X = active ingredient e.g Kojic acid powder
Y= Initial base lotion/ cream
F = Final base lotion/ cream
Z= Final % of active ingredient in the lotion/ cream eg. 4.8% of KA in your lotion

Illustration;
10(g) + 200(g) = 210(g)

10/ 210 × 100 = 4.76%

Note:
1 teaspoon level of powder equals 2.5g
1 ml of liquid equals 1g so 200ml = 200g ( for liquid only)
1 tablespoon of liquid = 15ml

For instance if you are using distilled water to dissolve KA powder then;

Formula;
10 (g) + 15 (g) H20 + 185 ( g) of lotion
=210g
This still gives you 4.8% of Kojic acid lotion.

Finally;
where to buy ingredients:
- www.makingcosmetics.com( i personally buy from here)
- www.lotioncrafters.com

Please guys you can add other websites to purchase from and please feel free to jump in and correct me where i made some mistakes. Sorry for the long thread and I hope this thread will help those who wish to DIY lotion and save them time in researching.
Happy lightening and good luck! :D
Thank you so very much for putting this together, Its very simplified and easy to adopt .... How's your diy coming along @mymylalah ..?? Did you make a KA cream/lotion?

·
Administrator
33,719 Posts
:rofl::rofl: LMAO @ "cocoa powder" ...
You know I am not a very trusting person :p........plus there is just no guarantee what your getting when purchasing from eBay

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
You know I am not a very trusting person :p........plus there is just no guarantee what your getting when purchasing from eBay
I'm glad I learnt to be wary too from you - better safe than sorry (1). For the sake of your skin's safety , & (2). For your money's worth .... I totally agree.

·
Administrator
33,719 Posts
I'm glad I learnt to be wary too from you - better safe than sorry (1). For the sake of your skin's safety , & (2). For your money's worth .... I totally agree.
Amen sista :five: @AIME :eek:

·
Registered
386 Posts
@gymrat

Hi Gymmie,

Are folks still buying oils from Lotioncrafters, Gow and making cosmetics??
I was looking to buy Almond oil last month and lotioncrafters don't seem to be carrying it. I bought it from Making cosmetics.

I want to buy Rosehip oil and on GOW's site they mention their Rosehip has a shelf life of 6 months. The one I bought from Lotioncrafters early last year is still fresh ( I put it in the fridge) or does it have strong natural preservatives and that could be keeping it from going rancid?

Well just checking to see if folks are still happy with the products of LC and MC. If there is a new place where folks are buying quality oils from, please share a link. Thank you as always Gymmie

·
Administrator
33,719 Posts
@gymrat
Hi Gymmie,

Are folks still buying oils from Lotioncrafters, Gow and making cosmetics??
I was looking to buy Almond oil last month and lotioncrafters don't seem to be carrying it. I bought it from Making cosmetics.

I'm looking to buy Rosehip oil and on GOW's site they mention their Rosehip has a shelf life of 6 months. The one I bought from Lotioncrafters early last year is still fresh ( I put in it in the fridge) or does it have strong natural preservatives and that could be keeping it from going rancid?

Well just checking to see if folks are still happy with the products of LC and MC. If there is a new place where folks are buying quality oils from, please share a link. Thank you as always Gymmie
Hello my friend!! :knuddel: Girl, freeze those oils, I freeze all of mine. I take out 30 mls at a time freeze the rest. They will last you until you use them. LC has increased her selection on oils, and I've always been a fan of GOW oils. Another fav of mine is MRH amazing selection!! https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/catalog/ingredients/oils

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hello my friend!! :knuddel: Girl, freeze those oils, I freeze all of mine. I take out 30 mls at a time freeze the rest. They will last you until you use them. LC has increased her selection on oils, and I've always been a fan of GOW oils. Another fav of mine is MRH amazing selection!! https://www.mountainroseherbs.com/catalog/ingredients/oils
@gymrat
Thanks so such Gymmie, I've bought from both Lotioncrafters and makingcosmetics so I will give Moutainroseherbs a shot. I'm so glad their rosehip is from Chile (there's just something I love about plants from tropics).

·
Administrator
33,719 Posts
@gymrat
Thanks so such Gymmie, I've bought from both Lotioncrafters and makingcosmetics so I will give Moutainroseherbs a shot. I'm so glad their rosehip is from Chile (there's just something I love about plants from tropics).
I love the tropics in general :p Let me know what you think of Mountainrose if you end up purchasing from them @Mulberry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts